Old 15-03-2004, 06:04 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Default More arrests....

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message .net...
I'm no orchid vendor, just a small time orchid grower, so I don't really
know which entry points in the USA are tighter on plant inspection. I can
however tell you that when I brought my orchids from Hawai'i to the
mainland, and informed the authorities (both when leaving Hawai'i as well as
when I got to NY) that I am bringing orchids with me, they didn't even want
to look in the boxes, in fact, they asked for no paperwork at all. Now, I
didn't bring anything that "shouldn't" be in my collection, but I found it
very odd that they could care less about what was inside of the boxes....

CITES deals with international trade, and Hawaii is part of the US.
You can send plants to and from Hawaii just like any other state.
-
theoneflasehaddock

Mariana

"House of Paisley" wrote in message
True or untrue, there is something about this story that doesn't
add up to me. I gave George the benefit of the doubt after
the last incident, but am finding it harder to do so now. If I
were in his position I would have wanted my shipments to go
through the most stringent import station and specifically
requested my imports be thoroughly inspected to avert further
attention. Sure it would take longer, but there are other vendors
where it takes months to get through the inspection process. I
do have to say in his defense that I specifically check each plant
I buy from any vendor to make sure it isn't a cites problem
and none that I considered buying from his lists seemed to
be restricted, but I don't check every plant on his lists, and
don't buy Paphs. So take from that what you will.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"David Fouchey" wrote in message

I was working under the assunmption the charges are likely true. If
not then I hope he is exonerated. BUT when it comes to fols who ARE
guilty of wholesale rampaging through wild stock I have no pity or use
for them.

MY Humble opinion of course.

And Ray I agreee with you on Dubya but this is not the proper forum
for that discussion! G

Dave

Old 15-03-2004, 08:31 PM
theoneflasehaddock

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message .net...
I beg to differ. I most certainly will. It does not matter to me what an
orchid supplier's political outlook is. What's important is that I like the
orchids being sold by that orchid vendor....

I agree. The most important things to me is that the plants aren't
wild-collected, don't have pests, and are healthy. The only time
politics will enter into it, is if I know the vendor has supported
wild-collecting of plants. Otherwise, who can be bothered to keep
track of everyone's politics anyways?

-
theoneflasehaddock

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
. com...
Diana, you got it right. This thread is kinda taking the fun out of a
gardening forum since we do not expect to get into politics when we visit
this forum. I also believe some people will not purchase in the future

from
certain vendors because of their comments.

Bobby Baxter
http://thegardensite.com

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have strong opinions on the thoughts and accusations in this thread,

so
I'm sorely tempted to get into this, but..........nah. Not worth the

loss
of camaradarie.

Diana

Old 15-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Reka

"theoneflasehaddock" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
[...]

Yes, but don't they still need Phyto when traveling into Hawaii? They don't
need any coming from there though, do they?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 16-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Ray

Correct.

Hawaii, Arizona, and California are particularly picky about their entering
flora.

Old 17-03-2004, 03:15 PM
theoneflasehaddock

"Reka" wrote in message ...
[...]

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the correction.

-
theoneflasehaddock