Old 20-12-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat?

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
The ones I got were similar to these, but higher. I think I got them at
Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...xtag-kitchen-m
p-20&linkCode=asn

and

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

That's what I use around the inground ponds. They wont work on the above
ground tanks.

Don't know what above ground tanks look like other than squares, you
just add height to base.

=============================
I can add height to the top but as I said, that's time comsuming and would
be expensive. It would have to be wired to the mesh already around them
somehow, for good support above the water. These are large round child's
pools with regular pond liners in them. See below. That blue tub now has a
black liner also. I would have to add extensions to the tops of these tubs.
They're 8' across and hold roughly 720g of water each. The smaller pool is
only 120g. The fence is so high the herons can't get the fish. But these are
too small for koi.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngs/tanks2.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngs/tanks1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/tank150g.jpg
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-12-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

My pond was 8' x 8' x 2' to 4'.

I was thinking that another cheap way to make a cage for the netting
would be to construct it out of pvc pipe.
You get the gray (electrical) PVC and a bunch of elbows, and you can one
that also dismantles easily.
I'm going to try this for mine and will post pix.

Since GBH don't seem to be able to step over things, seems a run of heavy
duty fish line at knee height a foot from the pond would discourage it,
along with the netting, couldn't walk in close enough, and wouldn't fly
right down beside it. I could be wrong..... But it is cheap, and gardening
stakes would be all that is needed to assemble. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

That is basically what I did. I had bird netting over my pond, but damn, it
is just ugly. I took copper wire and strung it around the perimeter of my
pond and various angles and elevations. So far so good. The copper patinas
and almost disappears. The only question I had, and I still don't have an
answer, is will a heron land directly into the water, or do they always walk
in from shore.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 21-12-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...nextag-kitchen
[...]

PVC is so cheap. I'd just make a tent frame and throw over the top.
$10-&15 max

here's my handy-dandy solution for you:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tanks-modified
..jpg

Old 21-12-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message

That is basically what I did. I had bird netting over my pond, but damn,
it
is just ugly. I took copper wire and strung it around the perimeter of my
pond and various angles and elevations. So far so good. The copper patinas
and almost disappears. The only question I had, and I still don't have an
answer, is will a heron land directly into the water, or do they always
walk
in from shore.

Yes if they can see a pot or rock. The GBHs here will actually land, rather
clumsily, on the edge of the tubs and fish from there. They will step over
any wire they can see. It doesn't discourage them. It could trip up myself
and my husband. I just broke an ankle this past July tripping over a small
rock I didn't see due to a hosta leaf. Also, wire does nothing to stop
Kingfishers, small herons, snakes and bullfrogs.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-12-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Kurt wrote:

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...g=nextag-kitch
[...]

Sorry, newsreader screws yp display:
Same URL:

http://tinyurl.com/282clw

Old 21-12-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngs/tanks2.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngs/tanks1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/tank150g.jpg

=============================
PVC is so cheap. I'd just make a tent frame and throw over the top.
$10-&15 max

How do I make a tent frame at least 40' long to cover all 3 tanks? For $15
or less? A net that size alone would be $30 to $40 alone.

here's my handy-dandy solution for you:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tanks-modified
..jpg

Please check your URL as this is what I got:

"Page not found .but while you're at Photobucket, why not try:"

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-12-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Kurt wrote ~~The only question I had, and I still don't have an
answer, is will a heron land directly into the water, or do they
always walk
in from shore.~~

Yes, a heron can land in the water. Someone once reporting
one floating around like a prehistoric duck. A hungry bird will
try all sorts of things.
The trick is making it too difficult. A bird on the ground is
in danger from predation, so the harder you make it to get
to the pond the more potential threat there is to spending more
time on the ground. That said some birds are very determined.
It's really luck and circumstance.

k :-)

Old 22-12-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
Sorry, newsreader screws yp display:
Same URL:

http://tinyurl.com/282clw

====================================
Yes. This would work with the side bends a little higher to keep the net at
least 2' above and away the water at any one place.

What are the angles of the sides and top?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-12-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
Sorry, newsreader screws yp display:
Same URL:

http://tinyurl.com/282clw

====================================
Yes. This would work with the side bends a little higher to keep the net at
least 2' above and away the water at any one place.

What are the angles of the sides and top?

Elbows come in 90 and 45 degree angle, so 45 would be the choice. I just
whipped that up in Photoshop to show the concept.
Just go higher on the sides to compensate if angle is too severe.

Old 22-12-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Kurt" wrote in message
[]
What are the angles of the sides and top?

Elbows come in 90 and 45 degree angle, so 45 would be the choice. I just
whipped that up in Photoshop to show the concept.
Just go higher on the sides to compensate if angle is too severe.

By twisting two 45's, you can attain any angle from 0° to 90°.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 22-12-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

__________________
Elbows come in 90 and 45 degree angle, so 45 would be the choice. I just
whipped that up in Photoshop to show the concept.
Just go higher on the sides to compensate if angle is too severe.

=================================
I showed it to my husband and he said that would work. Right now it's a sea
of mud back there, we're trying to get ready for the holidays and had a
memorial service this weekend... it's overwhelming.

Now the *&^%$#@ GB is walking on the nets themselves trying to get the
sheets off covering the nets. These are smart birds. When we chase him off
he flys across the road to the 6000g pond there. That owner is about to
shoot the damn bird. They also have a huge net over their pond but this GB
will not stay away. He's managing to pull enough small fish through to stay
around. They also had some kind of large bird divebomb right through the
net (they replaced it). He had to go out and remove part of the net to
release the bird. He didn't know what kind of water bird it was. The
people on the other side of me gave up on fish years ago.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-12-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:08:09 CST, Kurt wrote:

here's my handy-dandy solution for you:

http://tinyurl.com/282clw

That is absolutely a great solution! Do they actually make tent toppers
for pvc though that would connect the top 4 pieces? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-12-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message

By twisting two 45's, you can attain any angle from 0° to 90°.

=====================
By twisting them you can change the angle?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-12-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
By twisting two 45's, you can attain any angle from 0° to 90°.

By twisting them you can change the angle?

Buy 2 of them (F-M and F-F, 1/2" or 3/4") and put them together (NO glue!).
Rotate one relative to the other. Observe the angle between the two ends.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 23-12-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:08:09 CST, Kurt wrote:

here's my handy-dandy solution for you:

http://tinyurl.com/282clw

That is absolutely a great solution! Do they actually make tent toppers
for pvc though that would connect the top 4 pieces? ~ jan

===================================
These little Gazebos over them would work, but be flimsy. I think they'd
need supports between the legs and the legs set in concrete blocks. With
the wind we're having tonight, anything not weighed or nailed down would
blow to the four winds.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron Dan Spalluto Ponds (moderated) 10 16-10-2009 01:31 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM