Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default OT ~ Wind chimes

Tom, you mentioned high winds and swinging pipes of the windchimes. What is
the concern regarding this? Hitting the house? Or is there actually damage
to the pipes if they get to swinging too much? ~ jan
~ jan
Old 02-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Jan,

Here in North Central Oklahoma it is not uncommon to have 40 plus MPH winds,
and the large tube wind chimes can really get to swaying and getting twisted
around and with the clapper for the chimes, in addition, if they are close
to the house they can damage siding, (I have seen some tube sets with tubes
four or five feet long and can have quite a reach when their hanging
materials is calculated into the equation) and generally mar the finish on
the tubes themselves and can get dented (sometimes affecting the tone) or if
close to uprights like on porches can mar these also. In addition, the
lower sounding chimes can send sounds/vibrations through the walls of your
home that can be heard.

My mother loves wind chimes and she had a bunch of them, but when the
weather turned bad she had special lengths of cloth on the porches and
patios to tie the chimes together when the wind really kicked up. Plus
witch neighbors in your proximity you have to understand that the lower
tones will travel further and definitely could bother the people next door.

The ones that I have were ones that my Grandpa used to make and sell. I
don't have any of the long tubed ones because he said they were to hard to
get the proper lengths to get a good sound, so he never made any.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------
news

Old 02-01-2004, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Thanks Tom, I was wondering about binding them if they really got to
swinging, sounds like that would be a good idea. So far the highest wind
gust was 29, otherwise it was below 20 most the day and the chimes took 20+
well, not tangling.

They are too far away from anything, other than the roof above, to hit
themselves against. So far no complaints, and everyone was out shoveling
their walks several times today as we had snow fall all day long. ~ jan

Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Nedra

I haven't gotten my wind chimes yet - but when I do they will be
hung in the redbud tree - away from the house and pond. It
does sound like it would be a good idea to bind them during
high winds. Hummm .. another tasker in the works?? LoL!

Sounds wonderful to have lots of snow
on the ground and "chapel bells" ringing.

Nedra

Old 03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

high winds. Hummm .. another tasker in the works??

But sooooo worth it! The sound from my bedroom is like an unusual
lullabye... very soothing!

We always seem to have some wind [I live on an island], so I just slip a
rubber-band around the pipes in unusually high-wind conditions. When the
winds lighten, I usually go right out to prune off any damage to plants, so
I just snip the band from the pipes too... fast and easy.

Mila

link.net...

wrote:

[...]

news Tom, you mentioned high winds and swinging pipes of the windchimes.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Another person that thinks like us. ;o) ~ jan

high winds. Hummm .. another tasker in the works?? Nedra

But sooooo worth it! The sound from my bedroom is like an unusual
lullabye... very soothing!

We always seem to have some wind [I live on an island], so I just slip a
rubber-band around the pipes in unusually high-wind conditions. When the
winds lighten, I usually go right out to prune off any damage to plants, so
I just snip the band from the pipes too... fast and easy.

Mila

hlink.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Nedra

Yes ... and my chimes came today!! They are hanging on the overhang at
the deck. The winds have died down alot. I can't
hear a thing ... Yet!!!! C'mon breezes!

Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Another person that thinks like us. ;o) ~ jan

high winds. Hummm .. another tasker in the works?? Nedra

But sooooo worth it! The sound from my bedroom is like an unusual
lullabye... very soothing!

We always seem to have some wind [I live on an island], so I just slip a
rubber-band around the pipes in unusually high-wind conditions. When the
winds lighten, I usually go right out to prune off any damage to plants,

so
I just snip the band from the pipes too... fast and easy.

Mila

hlink.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 02:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yes ... and my chimes came today!! They are hanging on the overhang at
the deck. The winds have died down alot. I can't
hear a thing ... Yet!!!! C'mon breezes!
Nedra

When I first hung mine it was calm. I used the baby monitor to hear even
the slightest noise. DH went on an errand and said he wouldn't have been
surprised, when he got back, to find the oscilliating fan out there. s
Got breezes (and more snow) now, and don't even have to use the baby
monitor to hear them. ~ jan
~ jan
Old 04-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Nedra

Oscillating fan!! LOL! Now that's an idea....
I've heard about your snow. We are unseasonably warm, at
least for a couple more days. I do wish we would get snow.
I love snowy weather... even when I had the 30 mile commute.
Oh well... maybe we'll have another mild winter.

Nedra

Old 04-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Nedra and Jan,

Wind Chimes can also be very useful. I have a set that is placed under a
certain overhang here at the house and if these Chimes get to singing really
continually, I know that the wind is coming from the "wrong" direction and
that we will probably have to be making a run to the " 'fraidy hole" for
safety. It is almost as good has the tornado horn across the road, for
signally worry-some weather.

Tom L.L.
-------------
link.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Nedra

I would much rather hear Chimes than a tornado horn ...
I suppose either can be very frightening though. I know
you are in Oklahoma, Tom. My Mom is from there -
Skiatook (sp) actually - and she
knows all about tornadoes. Missouri is no slouch in that
department but I think you all have us beat.

Nedra

"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
Nedra and Jan,

Wind Chimes can also be very useful. I have a set that is placed under a
certain overhang here at the house and if these Chimes get to singing

really
continually, I know that the wind is coming from the "wrong" direction and
that we will probably have to be making a run to the " 'fraidy hole" for
safety. It is almost as good has the tornado horn across the road, for
signally worry-some weather.

Tom L.L.
-------------
link.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Reading that gave me chills.... or it could be that it's now 15F out and
the heat pump has gone into set back mode for the night. Glad wind coming
from the wrong way, only signals colder weather here..... probably why my
chimes have been ringing all day. ;o) ~ jan

Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Nedra,

Of course, we don't head for the shelter when those special wind chimes
start ringing consistently, but I am a lot more likely to turn on the TV to
see if the weather people are saying that something may be in the offing,
weather-wise.

I am a transplant to this area via marriage and there was an old Indian tale
that no tornado would hit Pawnee. Well, even in my short stay in the town
this had been proved pretty accurate. Well, the State of Oklahoma, in their
infinite wisdom, decided to make the road less curvy west of town and
chopped 60 feet off the top of the hill west of town. That very fall after
the road was finished and in mid October (late in tornado season) a tornado
made its way through town via the cut made in the hill by the state highway
commission. Thank you State of Oklahoma. Since that time we have seen
tornadoes over Pawnee about three times since the October hit, luckily none
of them set down, but before then we had never seen one over the town. We
used to see the tornadoes west and north of town never over the town. What
was really interesting is that no one that I knew had ever complained about
the curviness of the road. The hill that had to be driven as a lot less
steep that want we now have to deal with now that we go over the hill
instead of around it, and when there is ice on the road it is the devil to
drive. In fact, I really liked that stretch of road for it was really
scenic and the only really problem that I ever found with it was that the
cell phone cut out and you drove that section, and other than that it was a
good road. What we have to suffer for progress.

Tom L.L.
----------------------
link.net...

"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
Nedra and Jan,

Wind Chimes can also be very useful. I have a set that is placed under

certain overhang here at the house and if these Chimes get to singing

really
continually, I know that the wind is coming from the "wrong" direction

and
that we will probably have to be making a run to the " 'fraidy hole" for
safety. It is almost as good has the tornado horn across the road, for
signally worry-some weather.

Tom L.L.
-------------
"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
Oscillating fan!! LOL! Now that's an idea....
I've heard about your snow. We are unseasonably warm, at
least for a couple more days. I do wish we would get snow.
I love snowy weather... even when I had the 30 mile commute.
Oh well... maybe we'll have another mild winter.

Nedra

news Yes ... and my chimes came today!! They are hanging on the

Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And I was complaining about the night time setback temps, silly me?!!

Somewhere in the area we got to a record -19F. At my house the memory
thermometer said -5.5F as the low. The bad thing.... we had a power outage
from 4am to 10:15am. Luckily we have this snow cover. The koi ponds, as
designed (hoped) tubing from filter to pond drained back to the filter. The
snow cover on the screens held above the water, (I assumed) kept things
liquid. Once the power came on I could hear the water flowing again.

Inside, the house got down to 58F, son ran his tropical tanks off his CPU
till it started complaining, he got them to keep from falling below 72F.
The goldfish tanks didn't drop below 65F, the patio pond w/T.lilies on the
floor that is heated to 68-70F dropped to 58F unfortunately, so I'll have
to watch those fish. The 30 gallon patio tub, iced over, but I plugged in
the heater as soon as the power came on and since the only orange goldfish
I can see (the largest) is still swimming around, I think the smaller black
moors are probably okay in there too.

We thought school was going to start on time, but they couldn't get many of
the buses going, so they called it a day. We're suppose to get more serious
snow starting this evening..... We haven't had anything this extreme since
1996. Needless to say, hey K30? We shouldn't have the bug problems like the
last several summers. ) ~ jan Currently 7F

Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 10 03-02-2004 02:17 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 1 01-02-2004 10:35 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 0 01-02-2004 10:09 PM
Wind Chimes Broomhilda Gardening 1 21-01-2004 04:43 PM