Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:14:43 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

Check your local ordinance with the animal shelter.
I'm betting you can keep a limited number of hens, no roosters.
That's pretty standard. :-)

I already checked, unfortunately. Eventually we'll have a Dharma
Center somewhere out of town, but close by, and we plan on having a
working organic farm, animal sanctuary (with all the rescued barn
animals from people who don't care properly for them) and a retreat
house for long and short retreats.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Bourne Identity

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:18:01 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

That really is nothing to be boastful about. Murdering one animal to
protect another is no virtue. It's actually really bad karma. Please
try to refrain or have your brother refrain from doing such heinous
things.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:06 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

Check your local ordinance with the animal shelter.
I'm betting you can keep a limited number of hens, no roosters.
That's pretty standard. :-)

I already checked, unfortunately. Eventually we'll have a Dharma
Center somewhere out of town, but close by, and we plan on having a
working organic farm, animal sanctuary (with all the rescued barn
animals from people who don't care properly for them) and a retreat
house for long and short retreats.

Wow! Be sure to post when that's set up!
--
Om.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:18:01 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

That really is nothing to be boastful about. Murdering one animal to
protect another is no virtue. It's actually really bad karma. Please
try to refrain or have your brother refrain from doing such heinous
things.

Leaving too many coyotes in an area is bad for ALL the wildlife,
including the coytes.

Sometimes there is not enough food for them so they either starve to
death, or eat people's pets (and children), and wipe out ALL the other
wildlife in an area. They are very prolific.

There are limits that have to be set sometimes.
--
Om.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Cindy

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

That really is nothing to be boastful about. Murdering one animal to
protect another is no virtue. It's actually really bad karma.
Please try to refrain or have your brother refrain from doing such
heinous things.

Who's boasting? Just stating a fact.

Leaving too many coyotes in an area is bad for ALL the wildlife,
including the coytes.

Sometimes there is not enough food for them so they either starve to
death, or eat people's pets (and children), and wipe out ALL the other
wildlife in an area. They are very prolific.

And let's not forget people's livelihoods, i.e. calves, lambs, chickens,
geese.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

That really is nothing to be boastful about. Murdering one animal to
protect another is no virtue. It's actually really bad karma.
Please try to refrain or have your brother refrain from doing such
heinous things.

Who's boasting? Just stating a fact.

Leaving too many coyotes in an area is bad for ALL the wildlife,
including the coytes.

Sometimes there is not enough food for them so they either starve to
death, or eat people's pets (and children), and wipe out ALL the other
wildlife in an area. They are very prolific.

And let's not forget people's livelihoods, i.e. calves, lambs, chickens,
geese.

Ah, but it's ok if your livelihood is destroyed by the coyotes, because
it's wrong to kill them. Then when all the wildlife and livestock is
destroyed, the coyotes will starve to death.

But since that's "natural", it's ok.

Right?

:-P
--
Om.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Cindy

Ah, but it's ok if your livelihood is destroyed by the coyotes,
because it's wrong to kill them. Then when all the wildlife and
livestock is destroyed, the coyotes will starve to death.

But since that's "natural", it's ok.

Right?

:-P

That seems to be the attitude....
I don't understand why it's wrong for people to kill animals for food or
fun, but it's okay for animals to kill animals for food or fun, because
that's "natural." PEOPLE are animals too--or did I miss something??

Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Lil' Dave

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

[...]

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack

Nicholson

Apparently some have not seen the old movie "The Yearling".

Old 11-10-2005, 05:51 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Ah, but it's ok if your livelihood is destroyed by the coyotes,
because it's wrong to kill them. Then when all the wildlife and
livestock is destroyed, the coyotes will starve to death.

But since that's "natural", it's ok.

Right?

:-P

That seems to be the attitude....
I don't understand why it's wrong for people to kill animals for food or
fun, but it's okay for animals to kill animals for food or fun, because
that's "natural." PEOPLE are animals too--or did I miss something??

No, but they did.
--
Om.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Bourne Identity wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:18:01 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

That really is nothing to be boastful about. Murdering one animal to
protect another is no virtue. It's actually really bad karma. Please
try to refrain or have your brother refrain from doing such heinous
things.

Leaving too many coyotes in an area is bad for ALL the wildlife,
including the coytes.

Sometimes there is not enough food for them so they either starve to
death, or eat people's pets (and children), and wipe out ALL the other
wildlife in an area. They are very prolific.

There are limits that have to be set sometimes.

Apparently some have not seen the old movie "The Yearling".

Yes, I have.

It's a good corollary as to why you should not tame deer......

The wildlife rescue groups raise dozens of fawns each year and manage to
keep them WILD so they can "be deer". We could learn from that.

I know that fawns are just too damned kissable cute for words, but I
turn them over anyway so they can go "be deer"......
--
Om.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Bourne Identity

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:06:37 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

wrote:

Check your local ordinance with the animal shelter.
I'm betting you can keep a limited number of hens, no roosters.
That's pretty standard. :-)

I already checked, unfortunately. Eventually we'll have a Dharma
Center somewhere out of town, but close by, and we plan on having a
working organic farm, animal sanctuary (with all the rescued barn
animals from people who don't care properly for them) and a retreat
house for long and short retreats.

Wow! Be sure to post when that's set up!

We already have a Gelug study group in Austin.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Bourne Identity

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:08:24 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

Leaving too many coyotes in an area is bad for ALL the wildlife,
including the coytes.

Sometimes there is not enough food for them so they either starve to
death, or eat people's pets (and children), and wipe out ALL the other
wildlife in an area. They are very prolific.

There are limits that have to be set sometimes.

When was the last time a child was eaten by a coyote around here (or
anywhere for that matter)?

Carnivores eat meat, so there's no surprise. Have you checked the
Sudan lately, where people are dying by the tens of thousands per
week? They are overpopulated, should we go in and start shooting
them, or worse, for sport kill them with our snowmobiles? What's that
about?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Bourne Identity

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:53:40 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

Ah, but it's ok if your livelihood is destroyed by the coyotes, because
it's wrong to kill them. Then when all the wildlife and livestock is
destroyed, the coyotes will starve to death.

But since that's "natural", it's ok.

Right?

:-P

Well, I personally wouldn't have a livelihood which involved the
slaughter of animals, I'm vegetarian and working at transitioning into
veganism. I hardly think people who run animals over for sport, using
their snowmobile, are doing it to save their livelihood. And since
you asked, no, it's not okay with me if an animal kills another animal
even if it's natural. It rips my heart out just thinking of the lives
which are ended in brutal violence so other animals can eat. I cringe
if I see a bear eating a salmon, or if I see a human gunning for an
animal for fun. It's really bad karma. The way karma works is that
when you kill, you will be killed. It may not be in this life, but it
will ripen in any life when the conditions present themselves. A
coyote was once a human who killed coyotes with their snowmobile. So,
as a Buddhist, I refrain from doing those sorts of things to prevent
being born in the animal realms. You may not believe in karma, and
that's okay too,but even Christ loved all living things and didn't
intentionally kill any of them to help them not starve.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:35 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

Leaving too many coyotes in an area is bad for ALL the wildlife,
including the coytes.

Sometimes there is not enough food for them so they either starve to
death, or eat people's pets (and children), and wipe out ALL the other
wildlife in an area. They are very prolific.

There are limits that have to be set sometimes.

When was the last time a child was eaten by a coyote around here (or
anywhere for that matter)?

Los Angeles.

Carnivores eat meat, so there's no surprise. Have you checked the
Sudan lately, where people are dying by the tens of thousands per
week? They are overpopulated, should we go in and start shooting
them, or worse, for sport kill them with our snowmobiles? What's that
about?

What does that have to do with local coyote overpopulation???

Nothing.
--
Om.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

Ah, but it's ok if your livelihood is destroyed by the coyotes, because
it's wrong to kill them. Then when all the wildlife and livestock is
destroyed, the coyotes will starve to death.

But since that's "natural", it's ok.

Right?

:-P

Well, I personally wouldn't have a livelihood which involved the
slaughter of animals, I'm vegetarian and working at transitioning into
veganism.

Some people breed animals for pets.
They coyotes don't distinguish.

Coyotes even eat cats and dogs.
Those are not livestock.

Neither are toddler humans.

I hardly think people who run animals over for sport, using
their snowmobile, are doing it to save their livelihood.

They are culling the pack.

And since
you asked, no, it's not okay with me if an animal kills another animal
even if it's natural. It rips my heart out just thinking of the lives
which are ended in brutal violence so other animals can eat. I cringe
if I see a bear eating a salmon,

That's mother nature.
Deal with it.
Mother nature can be a bitch, but she also keeps us all alive.

or if I see a human gunning for an
animal for fun. It's really bad karma.

I never kill for sport.
I kill for food, and to protect my chickens.
If that's bad karma, I'll pay for it in my next life.
So be it.

In the meantime, I get to enjoy my laying flock without finding little
piles of feathers in my chicken yard every morning and spending tons of
money on racoon or coyote food.

The way karma works is that
when you kill, you will be killed. It may not be in this life, but it
will ripen in any life when the conditions present themselves.

So be it.

coyote was once a human who killed coyotes with their snowmobile.

In _your_ tradition.
In mine, human and animal spirits are separate.
Cruelty to animals still builds bad Karma (and payback) and the 3 fold
law is worse than anything you could possibly come up with. ;-)
If he is truly killing for "sport", not for culling, that is wrong. If I
kill to protect my flock and the gods see fit to punish me for it, so be
it...

So,
as a Buddhist, I refrain from doing those sorts of things to prevent
being born in the animal realms. You may not believe in karma, and
that's okay too,but even Christ loved all living things and didn't
intentionally kill any of them to help them not starve.

I'm not a Christian.

And nothing in the bible ever said that Christ was a vegetarian.

He at fish for one thing.

Cheers!
--
Om.