Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Do you bag your clippings?

Depends on how long I let the grass get before I mow.

snicker
I know what you mean...... ;-)

Especially in the BACK yard!

LOL! After we had that little spate of rain earlier in the summer, I
couldn't get to it, couldn't get to it...when I finally did, it looked like
I'd HAYED back there! I was rather embarrassed. Had to bag it and
empty the bag every pass.

I'd have raked it up and tossed it into my henyard......
Chickens LOVE that stuff!
--
Om.

Old 09-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Bourne Identity

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:21:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Do you bag your clippings?

Depends on how long I let the grass get before I mow.

snicker
I know what you mean...... ;-)

Especially in the BACK yard!

LOL! After we had that little spate of rain earlier in the summer, I
couldn't get to it, couldn't get to it...when I finally did, it looked like
I'd HAYED back there! I was rather embarrassed. Had to bag it and
empty the bag every pass.

I'd have raked it up and tossed it into my henyard......
Chickens LOVE that stuff!

How many chickens do you have, and are they the fancies? I really
like chickens.

Talking about backyards...we took a walk today into the woods where
they are building the fifty mile hike and bike trail which follows
Brushy Creek, and it didn't look much different than the backyard! I
was also thrilled to see how beautiful this was. Very little
disturbance, but I'm certain the animals back there are traumatized
with all the loud machinery.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:13 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:21:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Do you bag your clippings?

Depends on how long I let the grass get before I mow.

snicker
I know what you mean...... ;-)

Especially in the BACK yard!

LOL! After we had that little spate of rain earlier in the summer, I
couldn't get to it, couldn't get to it...when I finally did, it looked
like
I'd HAYED back there! I was rather embarrassed. Had to bag it and
empty the bag every pass.

I'd have raked it up and tossed it into my henyard......
Chickens LOVE that stuff!

How many chickens do you have, and are they the fancies? I really
like chickens.

Only 5 now, but I used to have over 40 and I raised cochin bantams.
The city of San Marcos passed a new ordinance tho' restricting me to
only 8 birds so I had to give most of them away. :-( I kept 5 chickens
and 3 muscovie ducks.

On the upside, they let me keep my 5 emus and did not count them in the
head count. ;-)

Chickens are neat, and so are ducks, emus, pigions, doves, quail.....

I no longer have quail but I do have transient pigeons that live here. I
need to set up better (predator proof) nesting facilities for them. I
have some plans for that, that way I can harvest squabs from time to
time.

The ringneck doves are inside and are just pets. I need to separate that
male again! I have 2 new ringneck babies that need a home.

Cheers!

Old 09-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Lil' Dave

"ginav" wrote in message
om...
We have an older established tree whose roots are starting to grow above

the
surface of the lawn. We have been told that we need to cover the roots

with
soil to protect the tree's health. We would like to do this soon, but are
unsure what to plant once we have put the soil down. The lawn is St
Augustine, I have been told this grass will only grow from sod, and should
be put down in the spring. What can I plant temporarily to keep soil in
place that is cheap-- as I will replace it in the spring, but I want it to
be at least presentable till then. Thanks!

Most arborists will tell you to leave the surface root travel alone. This
where the tree gets most its water and nutrients. The tap root and sister
roots are primarily for establishing the tree.

Find an arborist to verify the surface root structure compared to the trunk
depth in regards to burying the surface travelers. Pecan trees are
notorious for above ground travelers.

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage. It won't
sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native rain/drizzle is
present. So don't expect much until then. If allowed to form seed,
reseeding the following season is probably unneeded. New seed will lay
dormant until such time the temp and precipitation is adequate. The color
is awesome, very lush green with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well
even in red clay soil which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Old 09-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Cindy

Only 5 now, but I used to have over 40 and I raised cochin bantams.
The city of San Marcos passed a new ordinance tho' restricting me to
only 8 birds so I had to give most of them away. :-( I kept 5 chickens
and 3 muscovie ducks.

Don't you hate government and all the phony regulations?? Anymore you have
to keep a mile minimum between you and your neighbors to be able to do what
you want with your own property. And THEN only if you have no wetlands,
riparian areas or "endangered" species.

On the upside, they let me keep my 5 emus and did not count them in
the head count. ;-)

That was generous of them.

Chickens are neat, and so are ducks, emus, pigions, doves, quail.....

You forgot geese! My geese were my favorites. Especially Africans. I love
their voices, bumpy beaks and color.

My grandmother had a flock of the domestic white geese and some gray ones.
I don't know how many she started with, but they grew over the years to
20-30 or so while we had good dogs. They lived on the farm for years and
years, well after my grandmother passed away. Then my parents' Great
Pyrenees had to be put down because of aggression toward the grandkids, and
within a month the coyotes had killed ALL the geese. It was very sad. I
still miss them, but Mom hasn't gotten more now that they have another guard
dog.

Cindy

Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Cindy

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage.
It won't sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native
rain/drizzle is present. So don't expect much until then. If
allowed to form seed, reseeding the following season is probably
unneeded. New seed will lay dormant until such time the temp and
precipitation is adequate. The color is awesome, very lush green
with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well even in red clay soil
which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Any chance of finding seed in Home Depot? I want to try some. I wouldn't
mind mowing in winter. My son needs something to do, ha ha!

Old 09-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 02:13:51 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

Talking about backyards...we took a walk today into the woods where
they are building the fifty mile hike and bike trail which follows
Brushy Creek, and it didn't look much different than the backyard! I
was also thrilled to see how beautiful this was. Very little
disturbance, but I'm certain the animals back there are traumatized
with all the loud machinery.

Oh I love ducks too, and geese! I keep looking up waiting for the
Whoopers, pelicans and Sandhill Cranes to migrate through. Finally
have the windows open so I can hear more than the drone of the air
conditioner fans in the attic.

I live in city limits so no barn animals for me, but I am thinking
about buying a horse and bording her somewhere close by. Now with the
beautiful trails through the forests up here, horses are a nice idea
again.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:11:55 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage.
It won't sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native
rain/drizzle is present. So don't expect much until then. If
allowed to form seed, reseeding the following season is probably
unneeded. New seed will lay dormant until such time the temp and
precipitation is adequate. The color is awesome, very lush green
with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well even in red clay soil
which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Any chance of finding seed in Home Depot? I want to try some. I wouldn't
mind mowing in winter. My son needs something to do, ha ha!

Sure, you can buy it anywhere now. You may want to go with perennial
rye. Some don't like that, but if you are wanting this each year,
it's nice to use the perennial rye. It's pretty inexpensive and the
whole trick is to keep it moist till it germinates. So, that means
you may have to hand water it about 4 times a day to keep the surface
moist and you will have to rough up the soil a little so they have
contact with the soil.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:12 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Only 5 now, but I used to have over 40 and I raised cochin bantams.
The city of San Marcos passed a new ordinance tho' restricting me to
only 8 birds so I had to give most of them away. :-( I kept 5 chickens
and 3 muscovie ducks.

Don't you hate government and all the phony regulations?? Anymore you have
to keep a mile minimum between you and your neighbors to be able to do what
you want with your own property. And THEN only if you have no wetlands,
riparian areas or "endangered" species.

Yup. ;-)

On the upside, they let me keep my 5 emus and did not count them in
the head count. ;-)

That was generous of them.

Yeah, well, considering THEY gave me one of them as a chick. lol
Plus emus are not really "fowl" per se'. They are more livestock.

Chickens are neat, and so are ducks, emus, pigions, doves, quail.....

You forgot geese! My geese were my favorites. Especially Africans. I love
their voices, bumpy beaks and color.

Yeah. I've not been able to keep geese here. I really don't have the
space... It's taken up by bigger birds that are less messy. ;-)

My grandmother had a flock of the domestic white geese and some gray ones.
I don't know how many she started with, but they grew over the years to
20-30 or so while we had good dogs. They lived on the farm for years and
years, well after my grandmother passed away. Then my parents' Great
Pyrenees had to be put down because of aggression toward the grandkids, and
within a month the coyotes had killed ALL the geese. It was very sad. I
still miss them, but Mom hasn't gotten more now that they have another guard
dog.

Cindy

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

--
Om.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:13 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage.
It won't sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native
rain/drizzle is present. So don't expect much until then. If
allowed to form seed, reseeding the following season is probably
unneeded. New seed will lay dormant until such time the temp and
precipitation is adequate. The color is awesome, very lush green
with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well even in red clay soil
which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Any chance of finding seed in Home Depot? I want to try some. I wouldn't
mind mowing in winter. My son needs something to do, ha ha!

Probably. :-)
I get mine in 50 lb. sacks from Amkon feed. I don't remember what I paid
for it, but it was quite reasonable considering it's grass seed. It was
affordable.

The more, the better! I'll be planting another 100 lbs. probably the end
of October.
--
Om.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:14 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

Talking about backyards...we took a walk today into the woods where
they are building the fifty mile hike and bike trail which follows
Brushy Creek, and it didn't look much different than the backyard! I
was also thrilled to see how beautiful this was. Very little
disturbance, but I'm certain the animals back there are traumatized
with all the loud machinery.

Oh I love ducks too, and geese! I keep looking up waiting for the
Whoopers, pelicans and Sandhill Cranes to migrate through. Finally
have the windows open so I can hear more than the drone of the air
conditioner fans in the attic.

I live in city limits so no barn animals for me, but I am thinking
about buying a horse and bording her somewhere close by. Now with the
beautiful trails through the forests up here, horses are a nice idea
again.

Check your local ordinance with the animal shelter.
I'm betting you can keep a limited number of hens, no roosters.
That's pretty standard. :-)
--
Om.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:18 AM
Cindy

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmManiPadmeOmelet
In article ,
Bourne Identity
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:21:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Cindy"
wrote:

[...]

Funny. The City restricts the amount of poultry, but I bet you can have as many dogs as you like. Condisering the noise and smell as equal; on balance, I'd rather have the chickens or guineas.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Lil' Dave

"Cindy" wrote in message

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage.
It won't sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native
rain/drizzle is present. So don't expect much until then. If
allowed to form seed, reseeding the following season is probably
unneeded. New seed will lay dormant until such time the temp and
precipitation is adequate. The color is awesome, very lush green
with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well even in red clay soil
which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Any chance of finding seed in Home Depot? I want to try some. I wouldn't
mind mowing in winter. My son needs something to do, ha ha!

Consider trying something resembling a feed or garden store. Seeding for
winter cover is normally a rural thing. HD and Lowes are more into
urban/suburban needs in the gardening section.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Oops. :-( That's sad...
Now you see why coyote "lovers" drive me up the wall.

Eh, yeah, bunny-huggers in general.
Coyotes are my brother's snowmobiling exercise in the winter.

lol
Does he take the pelts?
Coyote skulls go for a premium on ebay.
--