Old 12-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Bourne Identity

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:24:24 -0500, "Kathleen"
wrote:

Don't you remember the movie "7 Years in Tibet" where they aren't able to
make any progress building because the Buddists were afraid about killing
the worms. They wanted to relocate them all!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Yes, and that is a true story. It is a Buddhist belief, Mahayana
Buddhists anyway that, every living thing has once been our mothers.
We have once been every living beings' mother. There is no beginning,
no first life, no end. All of life, every manner of life, is a
potential Buddha.
Old 13-10-2005, 02:39 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Kathleen" wrote:

Don't you remember the movie "7 Years in Tibet" where they aren't able to
make any progress building because the Buddists were afraid about killing
the worms. They wanted to relocate them all!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Yes...

but earthworms aren't vermin. :-)
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 02:41 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:11:41 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:19:31 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

lol Buddhism is a pan-theistic religeon.

Tibetan Buddhists do not believe in god the creator. Sorry. The
deities involved in Buddhism are realized beings who have been
enlightened, the way Buddha Shakyamuni was, and every sentient being
has the same exact potential...and that would include animals.

I see you don't know what pan-theistic means...

No, I don't. We don't use such words in Buddhism. Sorry about that. I
did give you a definition.

Pan meaning "all".
Buddhists essentially worship _everything_.
Nothing wrong with that, but it can be carried to extremes IMHO!

I hope you never own any poultry.
You'd let racoons and possums eat them all because it was "wrong" to
kill them. If you trap them, it's illegal to relocate them. They are
supposed to be destroyed.

If I ever had poultry, they'd have a secure area where there would be
no possiblity of a predator coming in contact with them.

Good.

But then they can't be "natural".
Isn't that a sin?

BTW, do you kill cockroaches and houseflies, or rats?
Or do you let vermin over-run your house because it's wrong to kill them?

No, I don't kill anything. Not rats, roaches, housefiles or other
things. We just last night rescued a baby gecko from my closet and
placed it gently outside. We've taken roaches outside from inside and
rats are kept away from the house by good sanitation, and a large
brush pile at the back of the property, where we also feed the birds.

Geckos and birds are not vermin.
Housflies and cockroaches (and rats and mice) carry disease.

It's people like you that cause plagues!
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 02:42 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:14:02 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

You are just a really angry, probably unhappy individual with not a
lot to say and you certainly aren't a critical thinker. So, it's
pretty useless for us to have a discussion about anything because you
don't have basic human compassion for life, let alone overall
intelligence and compassion. Good luck.

And you are a very sorry, and lousy, Buddhist if you dare to judge other
people. Real ones mind their own business...

Cheers!

I'm not the Buddha. I'm not a holy being or a perfect person. I
never claimed to be.

Neither did we so get off our backs!

I'm sick to death of holier than thou' people shoving their beliefs down
our throats and DARING to judge us!
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Cindy

You are just a really angry, probably unhappy individual with not a
lot to say and you certainly aren't a critical thinker. So, it's
pretty useless for us to have a discussion about anything because you
don't have basic human compassion for life, let alone overall
intelligence and compassion. Good luck.

VBG
*Me* angry?? Goodness, I think you mistook your posts for mine!
Actually, I'm quite a happy person and very satisfied with myself, my views
and my brainpower. You're right about one thing though, I certainly have no
compassion for vermin and bunny-huggers! LOL
I do get a big kick out of baiting the wackos that show up in my
newsgroups....fortunately for me, I needn't resort to flinging insults to
try to cover up my lack of good sense.
Good luck to you too--you'll need it trying to avoid stepping on any dung
beetles who may have been your mama in another life.

Old 13-10-2005, 05:58 AM
Cindy

I'm not the Buddha. I'm not a holy being or a perfect person. I
never claimed to be.

Neither did we so get off our backs!

I'm sick to death of holier than thou' people shoving their beliefs
down our throats and DARING to judge us!

Yep...gotta admit I know NOTHING about Buddhism, but this conversation is
reminding me a lot of some unhappy Baptists I know who delight in telling
anyone who makes the mistake of listening that if you don't go to *their*
church and believe in *their* God and *their* religion, you are absolutely
and positively going to hell! Their unpleasantness drove so many people out
of their own church that the pastor kicked THEM out. Good riddance. I
almost started going to church after that.....

Old 13-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Bourne Identity

Default Winter cover for bare soil

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:58:52 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

I'm not the Buddha. I'm not a holy being or a perfect person. I
never claimed to be.

Neither did we so get off our backs!

I'm sick to death of holier than thou' people shoving their beliefs
down our throats and DARING to judge us!

Yep...gotta admit I know NOTHING about Buddhism, but this conversation is
reminding me a lot of some unhappy Baptists I know who delight in telling
anyone who makes the mistake of listening that if you don't go to *their*
church and believe in *their* God and *their* religion, you are absolutely
and positively going to hell! Their unpleasantness drove so many people out
of their own church that the pastor kicked THEM out. Good riddance. I
almost started going to church after that.....

I never did that. Not at all. I was pointing out what bad karma it
is to kill, or brag about it. Clearly, you said you like baiting
people in YOUR newsgroup, and that my dear is hostile. BTW, I've been
posting to this newsgroup for about ten years. It's hardly YOURS.
How you receive information is not my problem, it's yours.
Old 13-10-2005, 05:12 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

[...]

I have a question... Do you have dogs? Cats?

Do you treat them for fleas or do you just let the fleas do what comes
naturally and make your animals miserable?

Do you treat your dogs for heartworms?

If you have chickens and they get mites and/or lice (often carried in by
wild birds so takes annual prevention), are you going to treat or let
your birds be parasite ridden?

What about annual worming for roundworms and tapeworms?

Now be careful! If you admit to treating your pets for parasites, I'll
call you a hypocrite as you will finally have to admit that even _you_,
the religious fanatic, have your limits.

If you do NOT treat your animals for parasites, I'll accuse you of
animal cruelty and negligence!

Do you care to answer this?
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 05:14 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

[...]

snork
You are even ornerier than me! ;-D
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 05:15 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

I'm not the Buddha. I'm not a holy being or a perfect person. I
never claimed to be.

Neither did we so get off our backs!

I'm sick to death of holier than thou' people shoving their beliefs
down our throats and DARING to judge us!

Yep...gotta admit I know NOTHING about Buddhism, but this conversation is
reminding me a lot of some unhappy Baptists I know who delight in telling
anyone who makes the mistake of listening that if you don't go to *their*
church and believe in *their* God and *their* religion, you are absolutely
and positively going to hell! Their unpleasantness drove so many people out
of their own church that the pastor kicked THEM out. Good riddance. I
almost started going to church after that.....

My "church" is my back yard.... or a forest, or anywhere outdoors where
I can see and appreciate what gifts mother nature has given us. :-)
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Cindy

My "church" is my back yard.... or a forest, or anywhere outdoors
where I can see and appreciate what gifts mother nature has given us.
:-)

Mine too. "Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."

Old 13-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Cindy

snork
You are even ornerier than me! ;-D

Thanks.
I don't like being told what I should and should not do by people who know
*nothing* about my way of life.

Old 13-10-2005, 07:24 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

snork
You are even ornerier than me! ;-D

Thanks.
I don't like being told what I should and should not do by people who know
*nothing* about my way of life.

Her attacking your brother for protecting his cattle is what got me
started...

I learned just how bad the "romanticized" coyote could be when we lived
in California about 100 miles west of LA. They were (and I think still
are) a serious problem there.

I respect life, and I love animals. Heck, I care for around 30
(spayed/neutered) cats and 6 dogs. I also dabble in wildlife rescue and
will yell at anyone that kills a spider in my yard!

But there are limits that have to be set when it comes to vermin and
pest predators.

The poultry feed in the yard attracts rats. It's an ongoing battle and I
have permanent poison stations set up now. They are under control but it
got to be a mess for awhile. I consulted with some exterminators and
found out about the 20' radius "territory" that they have and set up
stations accordingly.

Sanitiation has _nothing_ to do with rat control. All it takes is
available food and water. They go after the dog food too. :-P

I kill every one of those damned things that I can! They are nasty and
destructive little beasts, and prolific as hell!
--
Om.

Old 13-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Bourne Identity

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:12:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

I have a question... Do you have dogs? Cats?

I had two cats and a dog and they all passed away in 2000. However,
before that I rarely had trouble with fleas because of a few things.
My cats were not outdoor cats, and Ozzy Dog was fed nothing but the
best food, as well as using Missing Link for both the cats and the
dog. We also fed the dog brewers yeast and we never had a flea
problem.

Do you treat them for fleas or do you just let the fleas do what comes
naturally and make your animals miserable?

We have a Macaw now and I cook for her special food she needs for her
diet, as well as pellets, special bread with crushed eggshells in it
for calcium, and seeds. She doesn't have mites because she gets a
shower daily and is fed a healthy diet, has no stress in her little
life and is treated very well. I would never consider making an
animal miserable for any reason.

Do you treat your dogs for heartworms?

We did.

If you have chickens and they get mites and/or lice (often carried in by
wild birds so takes annual prevention), are you going to treat or let
your birds be parasite ridden?

I don't have chickens.

What about annual worming for roundworms and tapeworms?

No, I never did annual worming because they never had worms. I would
bring a stool sample for that and in all 15 years for the animals
lives, they never had worms.

Now be careful! If you admit to treating your pets for parasites, I'll
call you a hypocrite as you will finally have to admit that even _you_,
the religious fanatic, have your limits.

I'm not a religious fanatic, that's your limitation on who I am. You
can call me a hypoctrite if you want, no problem. I know who I am and
it's of no consequence what you think of me. You don't need to be a
religious fanatic to know right from wrong.

If you do NOT treat your animals for parasites, I'll accuse you of
animal cruelty and negligence!

Okay. It won't get you anywhere since that is not happening, but okay
anyway.

Do you care to answer this?

Not particularly, but I did because I'm a decent person.