Old 28-02-2007, 05:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Grubs

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:01:26 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

I remember you talking about your opossum....... Until I got a dog, I
always had at least one come in the cat door at night for years (two
different houses). The cats ignored him/her, "I don't see that giant
mouse...". They have very soft fur, btw, and don't seem to mind being
petted
after awhile......

I did some reading about them and they are smarter than dogs and are
more in line with the intelligence of pigs, which is rather
intelligent. I miss our little guy.

Victoria

My wife's hairstylist here in Austin has a pet (it's about 9 months old now)
baby opossum. She (the stylist) found it floating belly up in their
backyard koi pond last May -- she said it was so small that it fit in the
palm of her hand. She revived it and long story short, it's now a family
pet...along with three cats and two (big) dogs. The 'possum plays with both
the cats and dogs, sleeps in the bed and loves people. And yes, she got the
proper care instructions from local wildlife people, all the OK's from the
authorities, etc.

Old 28-02-2007, 06:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:32:18 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:16:44 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

" We were as poor as possums, and now we could have folks to dinner

every
day. We have been recognized, Missus Garvey says, by the best society".

O. Henry - _A Blackjack Bargainer_

Society is a relative term. I don't call horses "orses" or pigs
"igs." My president says nukular, as does my neighbor and I get so
turned off to that. It is MY problem. I take all responsibility.

But, but,...... It was *O.* Henry and he used "possum"....... and,
and,... the quote seemed so appropriate to the discussion, and ironic...
sigh
Now, don't make me start quoting T.S. Eliot from "Old Possum's Book of
Practical Cats"...

What was it that Granny called them on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Old 28-02-2007, 06:49 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:41:15 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

That describes the hole, so it must be one stealthy armadillo or skunk.
I've never smelled a skunk here or seen any road kill of either. I suppose
I'll be up nights if they return...

We have no shortage of skunk here in Texas. P.U. However, they are
very cute critters. Armadillo's have extremely strong, hard, sharp
nails to dig with. They are very strong little things. I usually see
the ones who come to my garden in the very early morning when the Fox
is returning with food for her young-ins.

Do you live in the Austin area?
Old 28-02-2007, 06:52 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:45:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

How do you pronounce:

Manchaca
Buda
Guadalupe
Gruene

:-)

-sw

Correctly!

Manshacka
Byouda
Guadaloopey
Grooen

There!
Old 28-02-2007, 06:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:25:53 -0600, "charliekilo"
wrote:

I did some reading about them and they are smarter than dogs and are
more in line with the intelligence of pigs, which is rather
intelligent. I miss our little guy.

Victoria

My wife's hairstylist here in Austin has a pet (it's about 9 months old now)
baby opossum. She (the stylist) found it floating belly up in their
backyard koi pond last May -- she said it was so small that it fit in the
palm of her hand. She revived it and long story short, it's now a family
pet...along with three cats and two (big) dogs. The 'possum plays with both
the cats and dogs, sleeps in the bed and loves people. And yes, she got the
proper care instructions from local wildlife people, all the OK's from the
authorities, etc.

Oh I love hearing stories like that. Does their opossum go to the
bathroom in a litter box, or outdoors? I love rats, but they poo and
pee everywhere. They don't "GO" somewhere to void, so that's why I
don't get a few. I've rescued rats from the pool, as well as this one
bull frog who comes every year. It has to be the same guy. He jumps
in the pool, does some laps, makes a huge poop and my husband scoops
him out and brings him back to the creek. So funny.

Old 28-02-2007, 07:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:45:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

How do you pronounce:

Manchaca
Buda
Guadalupe
Gruene

:-)

-sw

Correctly!

Manshacka

Manshack.

No "a".

Byouda
Guadaloopey
Grooen

Green.

There!

Welcome to Texas. G
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:45:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

How do you pronounce:

Manchaca
Buda
Guadalupe
Gruene

:-)

-sw

Correctly!

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

No "a".

Byouda
Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

Grooen

Green.

There!

Welcome to Texas. G

Old 01-03-2007, 05:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

That describes the hole, so it must be one stealthy armadillo or

skunk.
I've never smelled a skunk here or seen any road kill of either. I

suppose
I'll be up nights if they return...

We have no shortage of skunk here in Texas. P.U. However, they are
very cute critters. Armadillo's have extremely strong, hard, sharp
nails to dig with. They are very strong little things. I usually see
the ones who come to my garden in the very early morning when the Fox
is returning with food for her young-ins.

Do you live in the Austin area?

Yeah, on Town Lake by Longhorn Dam...

Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:45:43 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

What was it that Granny called them on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Stew...

No, she called them something else. The end product was always
viddles. Maybe you're not old enough to remember.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:49:36 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

This is the incorrect pronunciation, but do use it if you want.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

What was it that Granny called them on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Stew...

No, she called them something else. The end product was always
viddles. Maybe you're not old enough to remember.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bever...s,+possum+stew

http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Televisi...lies-2255.html
What stew did Granny always prepare?
Possum. Grits and possum were always a favorite treat that Granny prepared

Old 01-03-2007, 02:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

This is the incorrect pronunciation, but do use it if you want.

Um, yes, but Steve's point was addressing the curiously incorrect
pronunciations that native Texans employ, which identifies who are native
and who are not. Kinda like Houston St. in Manhattan...
He did leave out Manor..........

Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message

What was it that Granny called them on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Stew...

Granny served up "heapin' helpins of possum stew". She also made
possum pies.

I found these.... still funny as when I first heard 'em...

http://www.amazon.com/Beverly-Hillbi...cts/B0007L86LW
Granny: "How do you like yer possum, Lowell, fallin' off the bones tender or
with a little fight left in it?"

[to an obviously revolted Mr. Drysdale] Jed Clampett: "That's the thing
about salted down possum, it's just as good the second day."

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM