Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Grubs

Nothing like mentioning possum in the company of a Yankee to get the
conversation going......
Almost like saying Ginger?...or Marianne?.........
or Star Trek?........or Babylon 5?.......

I'm kinda liking the Ellie May versus the buttons thread drift myself...

"Vern" wrote in message
nk.net...
Cliff's first response was spot on. Beneficial nematodes. But WOW, what

thread. Maybe it's just that things are finally warming up and people are
crawling out from under their rocks to get involved in the discussion, or
maybe.....MORE BEER!

"Justin Wilson" wrote in message
Do you think the grubs will be out early this year due to all the warm
weather?
How do you treat for grubs?
Where can one get the best products to treat for grubs - I hate them as
they destroy my lawn and plants.
Also, snails and slugs chew my poor flowers!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was

it
"critters," or something else?

I think Ellie was a vegetarian - practically unheard of back then.
She was a critter-lover and had sorts of pets. I remember her
being the coffee-maker of the house.

-sw

And the girl with the double barrel sling shot. ;-D

Granny: "Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again."
Jed Clampett: "Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed
back."
Granny: "It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons."

Jed Clampett: "Well doggies!"

That was a great show! :-)

Yeah, Buddy Ebsen was the key when he fought the producers and made Jed
into a wise sage rather than just a yokel.
Oh, did Ellie May's coffee pour out like thick batter, but Jed drank it
anyway?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:33 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:31:59 -0600, Treedweller

But now you got my hackles up. Texans tend to use different words and
pronunciations than New Yawkers. That does not make us dumb.
However, please do not construe that as an endorsement of the word
"newcular".

If you heard me speak, you'd know I was from New York, but I don't say
YAWKA. My accent is very subtle and most people think I'm from
Boston. When I watch the Soprano's I shrink in embarrassment that the
way they are portrayed is how the world thinks the Northeast speaks.

Calling something a possum is not a pronunciation difference, it's
incorrect. Saying Guadaloop instead of Guadaloop-hey is a Texasism,
but it's not the correct way to pronounce it. It's so unimportant in
the grand scheme of the world, don't get hackles up. I'm a snob and I
know it! LOL
Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:48:01 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

Perv

Snob. ;-)

LOL! Not two minutes ago I said I was a snob in an earlier post! No
question, I am definitely a snob and I will never deny that.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:31:59 -0600, Treedweller

But now you got my hackles up. Texans tend to use different words and
pronunciations than New Yawkers. That does not make us dumb.
However, please do not construe that as an endorsement of the word
"newcular".

If you heard me speak, you'd know I was from New York, but I don't say
YAWKA. My accent is very subtle and most people think I'm from
Boston. When I watch the Soprano's I shrink in embarrassment that the
way they are portrayed is how the world thinks the Northeast speaks.

Calling something a possum is not a pronunciation difference, it's
incorrect. Saying Guadaloop instead of Guadaloop-hey is a Texasism,
but it's not the correct way to pronounce it. It's so unimportant in
the grand scheme of the world, don't get hackles up. I'm a snob and I
know it! LOL

Actually, the correct way to pronounce it is "Hwadaloopay".

Speaking of accents, I am from a small town to the south of here, and
have no discernable Texas accent, although I can fall into a few reasonable
facsimiles should the need arise to fit in with regional locals.
I didn't use "y'all" until arriving at UT as an acting major to
assimilate with my more urban contemporaries....

Old 02-03-2007, 07:30 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:43:32 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Get back to me when you start saying "all y'all" because I actually
said it today
Old 02-03-2007, 07:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:31:07 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 07:33:54 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Calling something a possum is not a pronunciation difference, it's
incorrect.

U.S. Opossums are related to the true Australian possums, and
there's at least one true possum breed here in the US. They're
practically synonymous, and possum has become common usage here in
the US - but maybe not by zoologists (or snobs :-)

-sw

Me. Snob. I admit
Old 02-03-2007, 08:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:43:32 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

See? That's ever so much more useful and easier on the tongue. Congrats!

Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:07:42 -0600, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

The end product was always
viddles.

Them's "Vittles". ;-)

Actually "victuals", but you're properly capturing the phonetics.

And "possum" is a regional variation of "opossum" across the entire
southern U.S., like "aluminium", "noo-kyu-lar" (rare in my experience, but
not unique), and so on.

As compared to "taters", "t'maters", and such, which are clearly
colloquial contractions.

Tell you what, I won't say anything about "Africker" and "Asier" if no one
picks on my "taters".

Old 03-03-2007, 03:02 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
God Bless Texas wrote:

Tell you what, I won't say anything about "Africker" and "Asier" if no one
picks on my "taters".

Ah jes' calls 'em "Spuds".

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM