Old 01-03-2007, 04:00 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Grubs

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:44:33 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:49:36 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

This is the incorrect pronunciation, but do use it if you want.

Um, yes, but Steve's point was addressing the curiously incorrect
pronunciations that native Texans employ, which identifies who are native
and who are not. Kinda like Houston St. in Manhattan...
He did leave out Manor..........

Um, who cared if someone is native or not? This is the United States
and I was born here, so I am American. I live 37 years in NYC and
eastern Long Island.

Houston St. is pronounced both ways in NYC. Howston or Hueston. No
problems and nobody gives a shit if people are native or not. I guess
that's the advantage of growing up in a progressive, diverse culture
in one of America's first cities. To be honest, I like it much more
here, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dumb down to fit in.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:54:18 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:45:43 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

What was it that Granny called them on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Stew...

Granny served up "heapin' helpins of possum stew". She also made
possum pies.

I found these.... still funny as when I first heard 'em...

http://www.amazon.com/Beverly-Hillbi...cts/B0007L86LW
Granny: "How do you like yer possum, Lowell, fallin' off the bones tender or
with a little fight left in it?"

[to an obviously revolted Mr. Drysdale] Jed Clampett: "That's the thing
about salted down possum, it's just as good the second day."

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was it
"critters," or something else?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:44:33 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I lived in NYC for 10 years, on Mercer two blocks above Houston, I never
heard it pronounced "Hueston" by anyone other than tourists.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

The end product was always
viddles.

Them's "Vittles". ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

This is the incorrect pronunciation, but do use it if you want.

That's _Texas_ pronunciation...

How do you pronounce "Hurricane"?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Manshacka

Manshack.

Manchack....

Guadaloopey

Gwadaloop........ sheesh...

This is the incorrect pronunciation, but do use it if you want.

Um, yes, but Steve's point was addressing the curiously incorrect
pronunciations that native Texans employ, which identifies who are native
and who are not. Kinda like Houston St. in Manhattan...
He did leave out Manor..........

May-nore! ;-)

Not a native, but been here for 25 years...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:45:12 GMT, "charliekilo"
wrote:

I lived in NYC for 10 years, on Mercer two blocks above Houston, I never
heard it pronounced "Hueston" by anyone other than tourists.

I didn't hear it often, but it is correctly pronounced both ways,
which was my point. I lived in Soho, grew up in Brooklyn.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was it
"critters," or something else?

I think Ellie was a vegetarian - practically unheard of back then.
She was a critter-lover and had sorts of pets. I remember her
being the coffee-maker of the house.

-sw

And the girl with the double barrel sling shot. ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was it
"critters," or something else?

I think Ellie was a vegetarian - practically unheard of back then.
She was a critter-lover and had sorts of pets. I remember her
being the coffee-maker of the house.

-sw

And the girl with the double barrel sling shot. ;-D

Granny: "Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again."
Jed Clampett: "Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed
back."
Granny: "It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons."

Jed Clampett: "Well doggies!"

Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:48:01 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was it
"critters," or something else?

I think Ellie was a vegetarian - practically unheard of back then.
She was a critter-lover and had sorts of pets. I remember her
being the coffee-maker of the house.

-sw

And the girl with the double barrel sling shot. ;-D

Granny: "Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again."
Jed Clampett: "Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed
back."
Granny: "It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons."

Jed Clampett: "Well doggies!"

Perv

Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:46:22 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:48:01 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

Granny: "Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again."
Jed Clampett: "Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed
back."
Granny: "It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons."

Jed Clampett: "Well doggies!"

They don't make 'em like that anymore. All the sit-coms pretty
much went downhill after All in the Family, Barney Miller and
Mash.

-sw

What about:

Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond
King of Queens
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Two and a Half Men

I could list more, but my mind is fried today. I'm also biased now
that I look at my list because most of these shows were about New York
and many of their references were funny to me, but my husband who is
from Green Bay didn't get till I explained it.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:31 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:46:01 -0600, Jangchub
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:36:21 -0600, Treedweller
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:10:55 -0600, Jangchub
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:18:24 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:51:52 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

Wow,......... we only get possums for core aeration and I have yet to see
them doing it, despite being up at all hours.

I'd bet those are armadillos, not possums. Possums aren't
diggers.

-sw

They are opossum, not possum.

welcome to Texas.

;-)

I've been living in Texas for 14 years and I lived most my life if
NYC. I refuse to dumb down...oh, that is too serious! ")

I knew that about you (more or less). I made a joke (which I think
you get).

But now you got my hackles up. Texans tend to use different words and
pronunciations than New Yawkers. That does not make us dumb.
However, please do not construe that as an endorsement of the word
"newcular".

Old 02-03-2007, 02:07 AM posted to austin.gardening

Cliff's first response was spot on. Beneficial nematodes. But WOW, what a
thread. Maybe it's just that things are finally warming up and people are
crawling out from under their rocks to get involved in the discussion, or
maybe.....MORE BEER!
"Justin Wilson" wrote in message
Do you think the grubs will be out early this year due to all the warm
weather?
How do you treat for grubs?
Where can one get the best products to treat for grubs - I hate them as
they destroy my lawn and plants.
Also, snails and slugs chew my poor flowers!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:47 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was it
"critters," or something else?

I think Ellie was a vegetarian - practically unheard of back then.
She was a critter-lover and had sorts of pets. I remember her
being the coffee-maker of the house.

-sw

And the girl with the double barrel sling shot. ;-D

Granny: "Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again."
Jed Clampett: "Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed
back."
Granny: "It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons."

Jed Clampett: "Well doggies!"

That was a great show! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:48 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:48:01 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe what I'm thinking of is what Ellie May called animals. Was it
"critters," or something else?

I think Ellie was a vegetarian - practically unheard of back then.
She was a critter-lover and had sorts of pets. I remember her
being the coffee-maker of the house.

-sw

And the girl with the double barrel sling shot. ;-D

Granny: "Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again."
Jed Clampett: "Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders throwed
back."
Granny: "It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons."

Jed Clampett: "Well doggies!"

Perv

Snob. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM