Old 27-02-2007, 08:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Grubs

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:51:52 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

Wow,......... we only get possums for core aeration and I have yet to

see
them doing it, despite being up at all hours.

I'd bet those are armadillos, not possums. Possums aren't
diggers.

That would be cool, but I live on Town Lake and have a chain link fence
yard, so I don't think it's armadillos (never seen on around here). The
holes are about the shape of a possum snout. It's probably raccoons being
verrry quiet (I have a dog), although I'd think the holes would be larger.

Old 27-02-2007, 09:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Wow,......... we only get possums for core aeration and I have yet to

see
them doing it, despite being up at all hours.

My poor guy who lived in our yard for almost seven years, way beyond
life expectancy has died. He came up near the house to die. Every
night at about ten the neighbors dog would "woof" and I knew the
opossum was out there, and he was. That's when they emerge, about
ten.

I remember you talking about your opossum....... Until I got a dog, I
always had at least one come in the cat door at night for years (two
different houses). The cats ignored him/her, "I don't see that giant
mouse...". They have very soft fur, btw, and don't seem to mind being petted
after awhile......

Old 27-02-2007, 11:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:38:33 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:10:55 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:18:24 -0600, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:51:52 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

Wow,......... we only get possums for core aeration and I have yet to see
them doing it, despite being up at all hours.

I'd bet those are armadillos, not possums. Possums aren't
diggers.

They are opossum, not possum.

Possum.

-sw

hillbilly
Old 27-02-2007, 11:46 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:51:52 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

Wow,......... we only get possums for core aeration and I have yet to see
them doing it, despite being up at all hours.

I'd bet those are armadillos, not possums. Possums aren't
diggers.

-sw

They are opossum, not possum.

welcome to Texas.

;-)

I've been living in Texas for 14 years and I lived most my life if
NYC. I refuse to dumb down...oh, that is too serious! ")
Old 27-02-2007, 11:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:01:26 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

I remember you talking about your opossum....... Until I got a dog, I
always had at least one come in the cat door at night for years (two
different houses). The cats ignored him/her, "I don't see that giant
mouse...". They have very soft fur, btw, and don't seem to mind being petted
after awhile......

I did some reading about them and they are smarter than dogs and are
more in line with the intelligence of pigs, which is rather
intelligent. I miss our little guy.

Victoria

Old 28-02-2007, 12:16 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:51:52 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

Wow,......... we only get possums for core aeration and I have yet

to see
them doing it, despite being up at all hours.

I'd bet those are armadillos, not possums. Possums aren't
diggers.

-sw

They are opossum, not possum.

welcome to Texas.

;-)

I've been living in Texas for 14 years and I lived most my life if
NYC. I refuse to dumb down...oh, that is too serious! ")

" We were as poor as possums, and now we could have folks to dinner every
day. We have been recognized, Missus Garvey says, by the best society".

O. Henry - _A Blackjack Bargainer_

Old 28-02-2007, 12:28 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

I remember you talking about your opossum....... Until I got a dog, I
always had at least one come in the cat door at night for years (two
different houses). The cats ignored him/her, "I don't see that giant
mouse...". They have very soft fur, btw, and don't seem to mind being

petted
after awhile......

I did some reading about them and they are smarter than dogs and are
more in line with the intelligence of pigs, which is rather
intelligent. I miss our little guy.

Really, I never had the impression they were very smart. But, I see the
National Opossum Society says so, as well. And, to survive for 70 million
years from the age of dinosaurs, I'd say they're pretty smart (and cute...).
http://www.opossum.org/

Old 28-02-2007, 12:36 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:56:54 -0600, cat daddy wrote:

That would be cool, but I live on Town Lake and have a chain link

fence
yard, so I don't think it's armadillos (never seen on around here). The
holes are about the shape of a possum snout. It's probably raccoons

being
verrry quiet (I have a dog), although I'd think the holes would be

larger.

I'll post some pictures of armadillo holes ;-) The armadillos
have a much better chance of getting under a chain link fence than
do most possums. Armadillos usually work under cover of darkness,
too.

It's a possibility, but I would think I would have seen one. I don't
remember them being that stealthy while camping out in the hill country as
kids. The possums climb through the trellises and over the fence.
Now, I'm intrigued to find out who was doing the digging...

Old 28-02-2007, 04:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message
They are attracted to the yeast used in making beer, not the beer
itself. There are other methods I've used which does not require
killing them.

Yeah, I'd feel real bad if some grubs and slugs died on my watch.

Old 28-02-2007, 04:34 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

I remember you talking about your opossum....... Until I got a dog, I
always had at least one come in the cat door at night for years (two
different houses). The cats ignored him/her, "I don't see that giant
mouse...". They have very soft fur, btw, and don't seem to mind being

petted
after awhile......

I did some reading about them and they are smarter than dogs and are
more in line with the intelligence of pigs, which is rather
intelligent. I miss our little guy.

Really, I never had the impression they were very smart. But, I see the
National Opossum Society says so, as well. And, to survive for 70 million
years from the age of dinosaurs, I'd say they're pretty smart (and
cute...).
http://www.opossum.org/

I have two big labs and when we came upon a very large armadillo out in the
woods, the labs chased him, but when he stopped and faced them, the dogs
just stopped and stared back looking frustrated. However, another not so
funny incident, one of my dogs came running up to me one day with a still
alive Possum in her mouth wagging the tail and feeling all proud of the
present she brought me. Luckily got her to drop it and it scurried off.

Old 28-02-2007, 05:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Justin Wilson" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I have a Lab, too. Mine would probably try to make friends if they came
nose to nose. Although, a couple of years ago, there was a young possum that
crawled an arbor on the fence and she'd go out to bark at him every night.
The possum would freeze and I'd have to go drag her in and try to explain to
the possum that he didn't have to climb the fence to get where he was going.
This went on for many weeks until she stopped barking at him and he'd just
pause and look at her before continuing.

Old 28-02-2007, 02:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:16:44 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

" We were as poor as possums, and now we could have folks to dinner every
day. We have been recognized, Missus Garvey says, by the best society".

O. Henry - _A Blackjack Bargainer_

Society is a relative term. I don't call horses "orses" or pigs
"igs." My president says nukular, as does my neighbor and I get so
turned off to that. It is MY problem. I take all responsibility.
Old 28-02-2007, 02:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:36:34 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

It's a possibility, but I would think I would have seen one. I don't
remember them being that stealthy while camping out in the hill country as
kids. The possums climb through the trellises and over the fence.
Now, I'm intrigued to find out who was doing the digging...

If it's a hole which looks like a comet shape, meaning a hole and all
the dirt to the side all in one direction, it's an armadillo. If you
don't think that's what you got, it could also be a skunk. The last
several nights we've been sleeping with the windows open and a skunk
sprayed somewhere in the area and the stink woke me up! Either way,
it's fun for me to have animals visit. We live on Brushy Creek so we
get all sorts of things. I'm awaiting the fox who comes every year to
have her pups under the shed.
Old 28-02-2007, 02:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

" We were as poor as possums, and now we could have folks to dinner

every
day. We have been recognized, Missus Garvey says, by the best society".

O. Henry - _A Blackjack Bargainer_

Society is a relative term. I don't call horses "orses" or pigs
"igs." My president says nukular, as does my neighbor and I get so
turned off to that. It is MY problem. I take all responsibility.

But, but,...... It was *O.* Henry and he used "possum"....... and,
and,... the quote seemed so appropriate to the discussion, and ironic...
sigh
Now, don't make me start quoting T.S. Eliot from "Old Possum's Book of
Practical Cats"...

Old 28-02-2007, 02:41 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

It's a possibility, but I would think I would have seen one. I don't
remember them being that stealthy while camping out in the hill country

as
kids. The possums climb through the trellises and over the fence.
Now, I'm intrigued to find out who was doing the digging...

If it's a hole which looks like a comet shape, meaning a hole and all
the dirt to the side all in one direction, it's an armadillo. If you
don't think that's what you got, it could also be a skunk.

That describes the hole, so it must be one stealthy armadillo or skunk.
I've never smelled a skunk here or seen any road kill of either. I suppose
I'll be up nights if they return...

The last
several nights we've been sleeping with the windows open and a skunk
sprayed somewhere in the area and the stink woke me up! Either way,
it's fun for me to have animals visit. We live on Brushy Creek so we
get all sorts of things. I'm awaiting the fox who comes every year to
have her pups under the shed.

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM