Old 22-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Little Badger

Default cats

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:54:10 -0000, "Little Badger"
wrote:

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:57:33 -0000, "Little Badger"
wrote:

George
I seem to have you rattled!

Lets get one thing straight. I never ever get rattled, everything I do
is cool, calculated and for deliberate effect. Many have claimed to
have got the better of me, many have tried to rattle me, it just hasnt
happened.

So don't flatter yourself old chum.

You're rattled bid time!

I never bid on losers.

What you don't ever favour yourself?

Two posts when one was directed to Larry!
My!

I don't care who a post is for, on a public forum I can stick my beak
in when and wherever I so wish.

You do often! Nosey irritating person that you are!

Nice to know I have maximum effect.

No! It's nice to know you realise you are a ****!

You really want to get out more you little ****!

Oh dear now who's rattled? what next, you'll come and give me a
kicking? maggot shit.

My cat is fast a sleep on my bed and has been so since 14.00!

Good, so at least he isn't killing wildlife or shitting in someone
elses garden. Whats wrong with that?

He has a sand pit! How many more times you ignorant idiot?

I don't care if he has a gravel pit dopey, he still wanders all around
the area, that's what cats do. except yours of course!!

What you wander around and shit in peoples gardens after you've been in the
morning? How many times? He has a sand pit and he goes in that! Are you
really so ignorant that you can't understand? Dick head!

Bullshit. So you have a cat that knows how to use a bucket and spade,
so what!

I do that bit when he's been in his sand pit! You really are a **** arn't
you?

I have a cat that never scratches my antique leather suite, or my wool
berber carpet or anything else for that matter! He might be, as you

claim,
the best behaved cat in the World!

Hooray for that. I never doubted it was possible. The question posed
was that most cat owners couldnt give a crap.

Should I contact The Guinness Book of Records George?

Contact the Queen mum for all I care, do they do seances in your area?

Or should you get out more instead of mouthing off on this NG?

This is easy, I have plenty of time for a real life and to tackle
****s on newsgroups.

But you are the **** on this NG!

I can safely say you have now been given that title, with honours.

But no one likes you! I bet even your family likes you! You're a virgin
arn't you?

The only thing I worry about, when I'm not home, is some ****, just

like
you, shooting my cat with an air rifle;

Well that just goes to show how you are such a prat getting your
knickers in a twist over completely the wrong reasons.

If I caught anyone harming any animal with a gun or otherwise, I would
kick their arse from here to kingdom come, claim they fell and then
drag them up the old bill shop.

You're so caring and sensitive! I think not!

Like your opinion matters. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will you ****! You want to get out more loser!

Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Larry Stoter

Little Badger wrote:

Larry
How would you propose to 'Trap' a cat in your garden without hurting it or
distressing it in any way?

Badger

snips ........

There are cage-type traps available for animals of cat size. Provided
the trap contained food and water and/or the trapped animal was not left
inside for a long period, I do not believe cruelty would occur, although
the animal would possibly be distressed.

Incidentally, if the animal is a stray, it would seem that it can be
shot. There was a case recently where somebody who had done this was
prosecuted for cruelty and found not guilty. Of course, the risk is that
it is difficult to tell if an animal is a stray until you have checked
it for tags, etc. In my suburban garden, shooting would not be an option
anyway and I would personally not wish to kill a cat anyway - I would
sooner hand it to somebody to euthanase with drugs.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Larry Stoter

Charlie wrote:

I've been following this thread for a while and I have a question. How do
you expect owners to "control" cats? This is by no means meant to be an
argument, but simply a question.

Not really my problem, is it?

Although there do seem to be cat owners who do manage to exercise
control over their animals. Personally, I would say it should be kept
indoors or in a purpose-built fenced area in the garden.

My cat is 14 years old but still climbs my trees and catches birds. (which
I have no objection, we have loads nesting round our house and garden and it
only serves to keep this population down). He goes into other gardens, but
we've had no complains, most of them feed him anyway! He attacks any cats
that attempts to come into our garden (they learn pretty quickly) and he
doesn't cause hassle to anyone. Am I a responsible owner?

Sorry, just wondered how to control my cat more efficiently!

Charlie.

I feel you are relying on your neighbours tolerance to avoid properly
controling your cat. It might be polite to actually check with your
neighbours if they object.

Cat are efficient predators and by nature kill birds and small mammals
but pet cats are probably of no threat to any bird species. Although,
even House Sparrow populations are dropping dramatically in some parts
of the country.

Feral cats may be more of a problem to certain endangered species. My
objection is that I prefer wild birds and attact numerous species into
my garden by providing food and water. I don't feel it is fair to expose
them to predators who have been given a competitive edge although I have
no difficulties with natural predators.

Sorry, but I would consider that it is irresponsible to allow your cat
to wander outside your garden.

Larry Stoter
Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Larry Stoter

mandy thomas wrote:

snips ....

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

Not really my problem - if an owner can't train it to remain in the
garden, then keep it indoors or in a fenced area in the garden.

I don't have a cat, and I don't like them leaving a mess in my garden but I
just accept them as one of those fairly minor inconveniences that I can't do
anything about.

But I don't consider it a minor inconvenience, especially when they
urinate and defaecate on the veg. And toxoplasma gondii is not a minor
inconvenience to anybody who is pregnant.

As long as it's legal to own cats, and to allow them outside, then there's
not a whole lot you can do about it. Best not to get too het up about things
you can't change.

Well, the hope is that the government panel currently considering
toxoplasma gondii will decide that cats need controlling.

And while the things that can be done are limited, there are
possibilities. For example, 12 or more cats may be considered as a cat
sanctuary which needs planning permission. And, in principle, local
environmental health bodies have the power to act against an animal that
is a health hazard which parents could well argue in the case of animals
defaecating around young children.

--
Larry Stoter
Old 23-03-2003, 11:08 AM
mandy thomas

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
mandy thomas wrote:

snips ....

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

Not really my problem - if an owner can't train it to remain in the
garden, then keep it indoors or in a fenced area in the garden.

To say that it's not your problem is a cop-out. The fact is, it's impossible
to train your cat in this way.

So the issue then becomes: should it be illegal to own a cat? If it's legal,
there's not a lot you can do about it as there is no way of training your
cat in the way you would like. If the health issues are as compelling as you
say then it would be more productive to campaign for the banning of cats
altogether than complaining that owners aren't training their pets properly.

Old 23-03-2003, 11:32 AM

: Little Badger wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: Larry Stoter

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe animal charities' policy is to
euthanase a healthy animal. Certainly it is not the policy of Cats
Protection. They will neuter all animals that come to their centres,
microchip them and find a loving home for them, which has to be inspected
before a cat is allowed to reside there. I do wish people would concern
themselves with cruelty and neglect of animals rather than get paranoid
about what they are doing or may do to their precious gardens. I love my
very old rescued cat and my garden and all the creatures that pass through
it.

Old 23-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Little Badger

Sorry I'll ignore you later!
I've got to go to the cinema for a late night showing!

May I recommend you get out more yourself? Virgin!

Badger

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message

wrote:

George
I seem to have you rattled!

Lets get one thing straight. I never ever get rattled, everything I

do
is cool, calculated and for deliberate effect. Many have claimed to
have got the better of me, many have tried to rattle me, it just

hasnt
happened.

So don't flatter yourself old chum.

You're rattled bid time!

I never bid on losers.

What you don't ever favour yourself?

I'm a surefire winner, odds on all the time.

Two posts when one was directed to Larry!
My!

I don't care who a post is for, on a public forum I can stick my

beak
in when and wherever I so wish.

You do often! Nosey irritating person that you are!

Nice to know I have maximum effect.

No! It's nice to know you realise you are a ****!

Ouch. That may have worked in playschool sunshine, but trust me when I
say it has no effect here.

You really want to get out more you little ****!

Oh dear now who's rattled? what next, you'll come and give me a
kicking? maggot shit.

My cat is fast a sleep on my bed and has been so since 14.00!

Good, so at least he isn't killing wildlife or shitting in someone
elses garden. Whats wrong with that?

He has a sand pit! How many more times you ignorant idiot?

I don't care if he has a gravel pit dopey, he still wanders all around
the area, that's what cats do. except yours of course!!

What you wander around and shit in peoples gardens after you've been in

the
morning?

I have more dumps then a horse each day, I have to, I thrive on
bullshit here all the time.

How many times? He has a sand pit and he goes in that! Are you
really so ignorant that you can't understand? Dick head!

Ouch again....you can be so cruel for a cuddly teddy bear.

Bullshit. So you have a cat that knows how to use a bucket and spade,
so what!

I do that bit when he's been in his sand pit! You really are a **** arn't
you?

You mean you play in the shit box too? oh dear.

[...]

Correct except the virgin bit, I know what it's like to f*ck, that's
what I have been doing to you all day.

The only thing I worry about, when I'm not home, is some ****, just

like
you, shooting my cat with an air rifle;

Well that just goes to show how you are such a prat getting your
knickers in a twist over completely the wrong reasons.

If I caught anyone harming any animal with a gun or otherwise, I

would
kick their arse from here to kingdom come, claim they fell and then
drag them up the old bill shop.

You're so caring and sensitive! I think not!

Like your opinion matters. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will you ****! You want to get out more loser!

Ouch again, you can just be soo cruel, you big girls blouse.

Hey Dick Maclaren, whatever happened to the competition?
No wonder you had such a free rein here.

.

*********
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will

still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill

The Eagle Has Landed.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- ` Roy!/ASC
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

Old 23-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Charlie

The only way you could keep a cat in a garden would be by building a roof
over the garden and by dropping the fence a few feet into the ground! We're
friendly with most our neighbours and I would have thought that they would
say something. As I said, they all feed him so they obviously don't mind
him!

Anyway, I was just wondering what your ideas were.

Charlie.

Charlie wrote:

[...]

---

Old 23-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Little Badger

Charlie wrote:

I feel you are relying on your neighbours tolerance to avoid properly
controling your cat. It might be polite to actually check with your
neighbours if they object.

Larry Stoter

Larry
Hate to say this but most of my immediate neighbours all own cats too!

Badger

Old 24-03-2003, 09:20 AM
BAC

"Charlie" wrote in message
The only way you could keep a cat in a garden would be by building a roof
over the garden and by dropping the fence a few feet into the ground!

I once encountered a woman who kept lots of cats (double figures), and they
were not allowed to roam free - she had built extensive wire enclosures in
her back garden, linked to the back door of the house by a wire 'tunnel'. Of
course, she was a little eccentric ...

Old 24-03-2003, 09:44 AM
BAC

"mandy thomas" wrote in
message ...

mandy thomas wrote:

snips ....

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

Not really my problem - if an owner can't train it to remain in the
garden, then keep it indoors or in a fenced area in the garden.

To say that it's not your problem is a cop-out. The fact is, it's

impossible
to train your cat in this way.

So the issue then becomes: should it be illegal to own a cat? If it's

legal,
there's not a lot you can do about it as there is no way of training your
cat in the way you would like. If the health issues are as compelling as

you
say then it would be more productive to campaign for the banning of cats
altogether than complaining that owners aren't training their pets

properly.

It does not necessarily become a matter of making cat ownership illegal, it
might become a matter of making cat owners responsible and accountable for
the actions of their animals, the excuse 'we can't stop them' being no
defence.

Old 24-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Malcolm

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:11:06 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"mandy thomas" wrote in
message ...

mandy thomas wrote:

[...]

That's right, I think it's clearly a case of the owners actually
facing up to the problems their pets can cause. Even restricting their
free range to once or twice per day would have remarkable effects on
wildlife damage. Certainly neutering etc should be made compulsory.
Old 24-03-2003, 08:32 PM
shannie

I have six cats, now Im not sure if this is going to work in the longterm
but it's worked for over a week now, so it may help a little. Because I have
chucks also I've had to fence off the new veggie plot using chicken wire and
stakes to a height of 5'. At the top of each stake I've stapled plastic
flower pots. The cats climb up the stakes and reach the pots and just go
down again. I find the pots very handy to keep seeds, secauters, string etc
in. Also Im going to try planting strawberry plants in them . Its working
for me and and turned out handy too..perhaps this may help if cats r a
problem

"Malcolm" wrote in message
s.com...
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:11:06 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"mandy thomas" wrote in
message ...

Old 24-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Larry Stoter

mandy thomas wrote:

snips ....

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

Not really my problem - if an owner can't train it to remain in the
garden, then keep it indoors or in a fenced area in the garden.

To say that it's not your problem is a cop-out. The fact is, it's impossible
to train your cat in this way.

So the issue then becomes: should it be illegal to own a cat? If it's legal,
there's not a lot you can do about it as there is no way of training your
cat in the way you would like. If the health issues are as compelling as you
say then it would be more productive to campaign for the banning of cats
altogether than complaining that owners aren't training their pets properly.

OK - keep it indoors or in a fenced run in the garden.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 24-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Larry Stoter

K wrote:

snips .....
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe animal charities' policy is to
euthanase a healthy animal. Certainly it is not the policy of Cats
Protection. They will neuter all animals that come to their centres,
microchip them and find a loving home for them, which has to be inspected
before a cat is allowed to reside there. I do wish people would concern
themselves with cruelty and neglect of animals rather than get paranoid
about what they are doing or may do to their precious gardens. I love my
very old rescued cat and my garden and all the creatures that pass through
it.

You are confusing two separate issues.

I am against cruelty to animals and believe that people who are either
deliberately cruel to their pets or who commit cruelty by neglect or
ignorance should be prosecuted. This includes people who have large
numbers of pets which are not kept clean or fed properly. I would also
consider uncontrolled breeding of pet cats and dogs as cruelty.

However, that is nothing to do with owners controlling their animals. If
you wish to have a pet cat, I have no objection. What I object to is it
coming into my garden and not having any means of dealing with the
problem.

--
Larry Stoter

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM
Cats (No, not the usual thread) Simon Avery United Kingdom 1 18-01-2003 06:58 PM