Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Plant naming question

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

When I was an anklebiter, Viburnum tinus was known as Laurus tinus -
they can move in big leaps...

Thought it was Laurestinus - all one word?

Maybe - I only saw it through my ears.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

But we do find that while a lot of our customers
know the Latin names of plants, they're not at all bothered about
re-classifications and happily go on calling them whatever they've always
called them.

I always still think of the mushroom family as Psalliota - most of the
specific names are the same, though adjusted for gender - Psalliota
xanthoderma - Agaricus xanthodermus; Psalliota porphyrea - Agaricus
porphyrocephalus; Psalliota vaporarius - Agaricus vaporaria (etc)

But sometimes even more widely adjusted:

Psalliota rodmanii - Agaricus bitorquis; Psalliota amathystina -
Agaricus semotus; (etc)

Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes

But not
caring what family a plant falls into is, I would suggest, because people
care more what they look like or how they'll do in that awkward shay corner
of their garden, than anything else.

That's what is so silly! Knowing where a plant a plant fits in to a
taxonomy gives you all sorts of clues as to what it looks like, what
conditions it will like, and so on. It's so much less of a burden on the
memory to remember the exceptions than remembering all these details for
each plant individually.
--
Kay

Old 11-11-2005, 02:57 PM
La puce

Kay wrote:

That's what is so silly! Knowing where a plant a plant fits in to a
taxonomy gives you all sorts of clues as to what it looks like, what
conditions it will like, and so on. It's so much less of a burden on the
memory to remember the exceptions than remembering all these details for
each plant individually.

Indeed. Once you understand what the names are for and what they mean!
I dreaded it, we all did when we realised we had to learn at least 10
plants name/week. After one year, it became so easy. The latin I had
learn as a kid was useful, but especially the French! Now, we do a
weekly indent. of around 20 plants. Sometimes, I even surprise myself
but it is such an eye opener and something which will stay with me all
my life. This summer we travelled from Bilbao to Bordeaux and even my
kids join in trying their memory on the plants we met along the way. It
beats 'I spy with my little eye' game )

Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 11/11/05 12:15, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

But not
caring what family a plant falls into is, I would suggest, because people
care more what they look like or how they'll do in that awkward shay corner
of their garden, than anything else.

That's what is so silly! Knowing where a plant a plant fits in to a
taxonomy gives you all sorts of clues as to what it looks like, what
conditions it will like, and so on. It's so much less of a burden on the
memory to remember the exceptions than remembering all these details for
each plant individually.

Well yes - and no. To get the full benefit of that, I suppose people would
have to have a certain competence with Latin

Well, only if you are wanting to translate the names as well as know
what is related to what.

and how many people get a
classical education these days?! I think that people like yourself who have
a real interest in the matter or start young and build up a knowledge base
find it an obvious tool but not those who come to gardening later in life
and just want something "tall and yellow". "Cephalaria gigantica, madam?"
"???" ;-)

I think it's also related to the other thing that puzzles me - how
(relatively) few gardeners have an interest in wild plants. After all, a
good proportion of our garden plants are simply the wild plants of
another country, and many of them are carefully bred good forms of our
own native plants. Knowledge of where the plant grows wild is a very
good indication of the care you need to give it in the garden.

--
Kay

Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Sacha

On 11/11/05 15:40, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

snip

I think it's also related to the other thing that puzzles me - how
(relatively) few gardeners have an interest in wild plants. After all, a
good proportion of our garden plants are simply the wild plants of
another country, and many of them are carefully bred good forms of our
own native plants. Knowledge of where the plant grows wild is a very
good indication of the care you need to give it in the garden.

Again, except for things like primroses, it probably doesn't occur to most
people. There is a yellow wild flower that looks like a yellow Crambe
cordifolia and another hedgerow plant here that is obviously an ancestor of
Eupatorium - that's just a couple that spring to mind. I don't know what
they're called but I've recently acquired a wildflower book so that next
year, I'll be prepared!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
wrote:

Again, except for things like primroses, it probably doesn't occur to most
people. There is a yellow wild flower that looks like a yellow Crambe
cordifolia and another hedgerow plant here that is obviously an ancestor of
Eupatorium

Eupatorium cannabinum - Hemp Agrimony
I didn't know there was a garden Eupatorium.

- that's just a couple that spring to mind.

Just scanning through the index of my wild flower book gives Achillea,
Ajuga, Allium, Althaea, Angelica, Artemesia, Astrantia as genera which
are familiar in the garden as well - and that's just the a's (and not
even all the a's)

--
Kay

Old 12-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

But we do find that while a lot of our customers
know the Latin names of plants, they're not at all bothered about
re-classifications and happily go on calling them whatever they've always
called them.

I always still think of the mushroom family as Psalliota - most of the
specific names are the same, though adjusted for gender - Psalliota
xanthoderma - Agaricus xanthodermus; Psalliota porphyrea - Agaricus
porphyrocephalus; Psalliota vaporarius - Agaricus vaporaria (etc)

But sometimes even more widely adjusted:

Psalliota rodmanii - Agaricus bitorquis; Psalliota amathystina -
Agaricus semotus; (etc)

Goodness not just "button" or "flat" then?

What sort of link does Psalliota have with porphyrea? Cause it, heal it
or resemble it?

Janet

The disease is porphyria. The root is the Greek porphura, meaning
purple, from, IIRC, the colour of the skin in sufferers. Porphyrea is
the Botanical Latin derivation from the same root, presumably also
meaning purple. So, I assume, the link is the colour purple.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
[...]

Comes from the Greek for 'purple'.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
The disease is porphyria. The root is the Greek porphura, meaning
purple, from, IIRC, the colour of the skin in sufferers. Porphyrea is
the Botanical Latin derivation from the same root, presumably also
meaning purple. So, I assume, the link is the colour purple.

AH, oh, thanks for that, sorry to get the two confused

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

I didn't know there was a garden Eupatorium.

Ah well now I happen to have the white 'daisy like' one with the reddish
stems if you want a plant?

Janet

Old 12-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes

Eupatorium cannabinum - Hemp Agrimony
I didn't know there was a garden Eupatorium.

52 records in Plant Finder

URL:http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder...crit=Eupatoriu
m&Genus=Eupatorium

I've only seen three of them, including the native E. cannabinum.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay
writes

I didn't know there was a garden Eupatorium.

Ah well now I happen to have the white 'daisy like' one with the reddish
stems if you want a plant?

Thanks, but no thanks - I'm having to be very selective. No room!

--
Kay

Naming a character (a rebel) after a plant JohnsonII United Kingdom 16 29-08-2011 04:10 PM
Naming question Susan Erickson Orchids 7 02-12-2004 01:44 AM
Naming question Susan Erickson Orchids 0 01-12-2004 06:07 PM
Phal naming question Orchidlover Orchids 5 08-12-2003 10:42 AM
[IBC] naming styles Craig Cowing Bonsai 3 04-03-2003 03:39 PM