Old 13-01-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fads

Default Hedges

Hello,

newbie gardener here,

I'm after some advice on growing a hedge to around 5-6 foot high, to give
privacy in my garden,

Which variety would be best for speed of growth? and how do is go about
growing hedges?

Sorry if the info is vague but as is said I'm a newbie!

Thanks

Fads

Old 13-01-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Fads wrote:

newbie gardener here,

I'm after some advice on growing a hedge to around 5-6 foot high, to give
privacy in my garden,

Which variety would be best for speed of growth? and how do is go about
growing hedges?

If you want fast try the dreaded Leylandii. But be careful what you wish
for because you will live to regret it. Cutting twice a year at least or
lose control. Then get sued by your irate neighbours.

Sorry if the info is vague but as is said I'm a newbie!

How much hedge do you need to grow? Does it need to be stock proof?

I prefer blocks of no more than 10' planted with all the same species -
beech, cotoneaster, box, privet, blackthorne, hawthorne etc. I will let
the odd honeysuckle, wild rose and bramble grow through it too. I also
have holly but that is too slow growing and yew is far too poisonous.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-01-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge

The message k
from "Fads" contains these words:

Hello,

newbie gardener here,

I'm after some advice on growing a hedge to around 5-6 foot high, to give
privacy in my garden,

Which variety would be best for speed of growth? and how do is go about
growing hedges?

Sorry if the info is vague but as is said I'm a newbie!

Things which are quick-growing will soon outgrow your enthusiasm for them.

I'd suggest holly, and a little patience. It doesn't grow like a rocket,
but it's not overly slow, either.

It will provide cover for wildlife, and winter food. You can get red,
yellow, and IIRC, white berried carieties, as well as ones with
varigated leaves.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 14-01-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Unless you have got money (and can by containerised plants that are
already there) gardening is not a quick fix. Take you time and see
things develope. 5-7 years would see a good looking yew hedge, a good
dense beech or hornbeam.

What kind of soil do you have?
How much time do you have to cut it?
What do you want Solid hedge all year, evergreen or are you ok with a
deciduous hedge which is semi see through, during the winter?

Old 14-01-2006, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Fads" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello,

newbie gardener here,

I'm after some advice on growing a hedge to around 5-6 foot high, to give
privacy in my garden,

Which variety would be best for speed of growth? and how do is go about
growing hedges?

Sorry if the info is vague but as is said I'm a newbie!

Thanks

Fads

Personally I would avoid any hedges that can not be cut hard back at some
time in the future, things like leylandii make very good hedges but you can
not cut them back beyond the cut line. I would also avoid hedges that only
look good for a short while after cutting, Privet is in this category it
grows too quickly which I know you said you wanted but a fast hedge needs
cutting more often.
If it were me I would put in a lightweight screen for instant privacy and
plant Yew, green or gold (but not mixed!) Its easy to maintain and the birds
love it to nest in and feed off.
And yes its poisonous - but only if you eat it!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-01-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Fads" wrote in message
[...]

Or a cotoneaster hedge or mixed with cotoneaster, pyracantha, berberis.
Nice and prickly for security and has flowers and berries for birds and bees
and evergreenish.Stick a few rosa rugosa in too and it'll look lovely. Not
sure if it'll get to 6 foot though.
If you want instant privacy a fence would be better.

Old 14-01-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:00:57 -0000
"PammyT" wrote:

]
] "Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
] ...
]
[]
] If it were me I would put in a lightweight screen for instant privacy and
] plant Yew, green or gold (but not mixed!) Its easy to maintain and the
] birds
] love it to nest in and feed off.
] And yes its poisonous - but only if you eat it!
]
] Or a cotoneaster hedge or mixed with cotoneaster, pyracantha, berberis.
] Nice and prickly for security and has flowers and berries for birds and bees
] and evergreenish.Stick a few rosa rugosa in too and it'll look lovely. Not
] sure if it'll get to 6 foot though.
] If you want instant privacy a fence would be better.
]
]

That's a pretty sounding hedge, alright. How about a little
variegated euonymus for year round color, too?

Berberis darwinii certainly reaches 6 ft, pyracantha no problem,
there are some big cotoneasters (lactea?).

Will look less tidy than yew, of course.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 14-01-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Lesurf

In article , Rusty Hinge
wrote:

I'd suggest holly, and a little patience. It doesn't grow like a rocket,
but it's not overly slow, either.

I planted a Holly (Ilex Aqifolium "Ferox Argentea") in our back garden
about an hour ago! The plant is about 1 ft high. At what sort of a rate can
I reasonably expect it to grow? e.g. will it tend to grow 1 ft per year,
or...?

The above is part of a wider plan. Over the last few years I've planted a
selection of roses along the brick wall at the end of our garden. The idea
now is to plant a variety of holly bushes in between some of the roses,
partly to give some colour during the winter, and partly to combine with
the roses to eventually deter any kids from climbing over the wall.

Since I intend to experiment with various types - anyone comments on which
ones tend to grow swiftly, and which more slowly?

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Old 14-01-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Jim Lesurf contains these words:
In article , Rusty Hinge
wrote:

I'd suggest holly, and a little patience. It doesn't grow like a rocket,
but it's not overly slow, either.

I planted a Holly (Ilex Aqifolium "Ferox Argentea") in our back garden
about an hour ago! The plant is about 1 ft high. At what sort of a rate can
I reasonably expect it to grow? e.g. will it tend to grow 1 ft per year,
or...?

Depends on conditions. I've got one waiting to be trimmed down for a
stave and the bottom allowed to form a bush, and in two years it's grown
five feet.

But it depends on conditions. its on good ground, and it has been quite
well supplied with moisture.

The above is part of a wider plan. Over the last few years I've planted a
selection of roses along the brick wall at the end of our garden. The idea
now is to plant a variety of holly bushes in between some of the roses,
partly to give some colour during the winter, and partly to combine with
the roses to eventually deter any kids from climbing over the wall.

Try growing wistaria amongst it - the mixture of the evergreen and the
lighter leaves and the striking flowers looks most exotic.

It looks even better with (say) leylandii, which is lighter, and
camouflages the wistaria leaves a bit. A very unexpected sight (if
you're not expecting it!) when in flower.

Since I intend to experiment with various types - anyone comments on which
ones tend to grow swiftly, and which more slowly?

The common one found in woods and hedgerows grows fastest IME. Varigated
tends to be slower.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 14-01-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

"PammyT" wrote:

]
[...]

Berberis darwinii is very very pretty indeed. One of my favourites. As you
say not so tidy but certainly very pretty indeed.

Old 14-01-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:48:48 -0000
"PammyT" wrote:

]
] "Emery Davis" wrote in message
] ...
[]
] Berberis darwinii certainly reaches 6 ft, pyracantha no problem,
] there are some big cotoneasters (lactea?).
]
] Will look less tidy than yew, of course.
] Berberis darwinii is very very pretty indeed. One of my favourites. As you
] say not so tidy but certainly very pretty indeed.
]
]

I've got a few of them growing here and there, 2 right by the gateposts
that are just starting to put on some serious growth. Only possible
complaint it that they do tend to have a bit of dead wood. Was just
noticing some cutting back needed on one that takes a lot of wind.

Oddly this plant seems to thrive on polluted conditions. A local
petrol station had one growing just next to the very oily service
area. The thing was easily 9 ft high and 12 in diameter. Must have
suckered like crazy. Sadly the place changed hands last year and
the new owner took it out.

Love the masses of yellow flowers tinged with orange, spectacular,
and the little holly-like leaves are pretty year round. Never gotten
many berries off of mine, though...

-E

Hedges/drainage superstar_etta Texas 13 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Planting hedges Gary Harper Texas 16 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
High Hedges Bill Essjay001 United Kingdom 16 30-12-2002 06:25 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM