Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedgehog repellent?

I swear to God I'm going to start using these darn things as footballs!
While I have no problem with hedgehogs per se, they drive my dog mad
when they saunter into our back yard at night.

In the morning, I find "micro-craters" all over in the grass where the
dog has encircled the hedgehogs while barking and pawing at them.
Whether she's trying to eat the things or make friends I do not know,
but I've seen her pick them up in her mouth and carry them into her
kennel.

Short of creating a diabolical set of wooden obstacles that hang on my
iron gate, is there any household substance that might discourage a
hedgehog from visiting?

Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Aug 2006 00:05:14 -0700, "Evan" wrote:

I swear to God I'm going to start using these darn things as footballs!
While I have no problem with hedgehogs per se, they drive my dog mad
when they saunter into our back yard at night.

In the morning, I find "micro-craters" all over in the grass where the
dog has encircled the hedgehogs while barking and pawing at them.
Whether she's trying to eat the things or make friends I do not know,
but I've seen her pick them up in her mouth and carry them into her
kennel.

Dick.

Jim Webster,Barrow-in-Furness farmer,troll & president of Cumbria CLA.
would you let your children near this person? see
http://tinyurl.com/kgbnf
now in the sixth year of raving about Pat Gardiner and
still no result.

Need to complain about me bringing Country Land and Business Association
into disrepute? Why not contact us at
Country Land and Business Association

16 Belgrave Square
London
SW1X 8PQ

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7235 0511
Fax: +44 (0)20 7235 4696
E-mail:

David Fursdon – President

Phone: 020 7235 0511
FAX: 020 7235 4696
Email

Henry Aubrey-Fletcher – Deputy President

Phone: 020 7235 0511
FAX: 020 7235 4696
Email

William Worsley – Vice President

Phone: 020 7235 0511
FAX: 020 7235 4696
Email

You are making yourself look foolish. The book on Grebes by Andre
Konter that was published in 2001 was entitled 'Grebes of OUR World'.
My book, published only this month, is entitled 'Grebes of THE World',
and as such is entirely different. The similarity of the front covers
is quite coincidental. My book IS the first ever devoted to Grebes.

Malcolm Ogilivie.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Evan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I swear to God I'm going to start using these darn things as footballs!
While I have no problem with hedgehogs per se, they drive my dog mad
when they saunter into our back yard at night.

In the morning, I find "micro-craters" all over in the grass where the
dog has encircled the hedgehogs while barking and pawing at them.
Whether she's trying to eat the things or make friends I do not know,
but I've seen her pick them up in her mouth and carry them into her
kennel.

Short of creating a diabolical set of wooden obstacles that hang on my
iron gate, is there any household substance that might discourage a
hedgehog from visiting?

get rid of the dog hes the one making the mess

Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
If we didn't have badgers round here, I'd ask you to send us the hedgehogs.
As it is, we do get some hogs and our dogs do just as yours do. We follow
the simple expedient of going outside and calling the dogs in!
Hedgehogs are your friend - they eat all sorts of things you don't want
chewing your plants, so call the dog off!

We tend to sleep at night. My dog's barking usually doesn't wake me up!
I discover the mess only on the morning after.

Only when I'm up really late can I stop the "madness" before it
happens.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Evan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sacha wrote:
If we didn't have badgers round here, I'd ask you to send us the

hedgehogs.
As it is, we do get some hogs and our dogs do just as yours do. We

follow
the simple expedient of going outside and calling the dogs in!
Hedgehogs are your friend - they eat all sorts of things you don't want
chewing your plants, so call the dog off!

We tend to sleep at night. My dog's barking usually doesn't wake me up!
I discover the mess only on the morning after.

Only when I'm up really late can I stop the "madness" before it
happens.

Perhaps a smaller pen or enclosure around the kennel into which the dog
stays for the night might be a solution (glad I am not a neighbour!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Aug 2006 05:58:57 -0700, "Evan" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
If we didn't have badgers round here, I'd ask you to send us the hedgehogs.
As it is, we do get some hogs and our dogs do just as yours do. We follow
the simple expedient of going outside and calling the dogs in!
Hedgehogs are your friend - they eat all sorts of things you don't want
chewing your plants, so call the dog off!

We tend to sleep at night. My dog's barking usually doesn't wake me up!

Just the neighbors!

I discover the mess only on the morning after.

Do you pass out?

Only when I'm up really late can I stop the "madness" before it
happens.

Lock the mutt up at night.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster wrote:
We tend to sleep at night. My dog's barking usually doesn't wake me up!

Just the neighbors!

Hence why I need to address the issue.

I discover the mess only on the morning after.

Do you pass out?

Dog is out back, we sleep in rooms toward front of house. She doesn't
bark incessently. Usually growling. It's the lawn digging that is the
problem.

Only when I'm up really late can I stop the "madness" before it happens.

Lock the mutt up at night.

She's lived inside at night the last three summers. Had new baby, so
had to fill bedrooms a bit more than before. No desire for dog hair and
smell to get on the kids.

Plus she pooed diarrhea all over the toddler the morning of his
birthday. That was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.
She's slept outside ever since.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Aug 2006 08:25:51 -0700, "Evan" wrote:

Jim Webster wrote:
We tend to sleep at night. My dog's barking usually doesn't wake me up!

Just the neighbors!

Hence why I need to address the issue.

Lock the dog in, or move.

I discover the mess only on the morning after.

Do you pass out?

Dog is out back, we sleep in rooms toward front of house. She doesn't
bark incessently. Usually growling. It's the lawn digging that is the
problem.

Not to the neighbors.

Only when I'm up really late can I stop the "madness" before it happens.

Lock the mutt up at night.

She's lived inside at night the last three summers. Had new baby, so
had to fill bedrooms a bit more than before. No desire for dog hair and
smell to get on the kids.

Should have thought of that before you got the mutt, or the brat.

Plus she pooed diarrhea all over the toddler the morning of his
birthday. That was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.
She's slept outside ever since.

Shoot the brat.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/06 16:25, in article
, "Evan"
wrote:

Jim Webster wrote:
We tend to sleep at night. My dog's barking usually doesn't wake me up!

Just the neighbors!

Hence why I need to address the issue.

I discover the mess only on the morning after.

Do you pass out?

Dog is out back, we sleep in rooms toward front of house. She doesn't
bark incessently. Usually growling. It's the lawn digging that is the
problem.

Only when I'm up really late can I stop the "madness" before it happens.

Lock the mutt up at night.

She's lived inside at night the last three summers. Had new baby, so
had to fill bedrooms a bit more than before. No desire for dog hair and
smell to get on the kids.

Plus she pooed diarrhea all over the toddler the morning of his
birthday. That was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.
She's slept outside ever since.

And will continue to act up as a consequence, I'm afraid. She must have a
nose severely out of joint. I do indeed appreciate your problem but the dog
must be having a mini nervous breakdown. A lot of dog behaviourists advise
getting dogs *after* the baby is born because then the dog learns its place
in the pecking order naturally. I would suggest re-homing the dog might be
a better solution for all of you. To go from a house dog always living
inside to an unwanted source of hair and faeces can't be a happy experience
for the dog or for you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
A lot of dog behaviourists advise
getting dogs *after* the baby is born because then the dog learns its place
in the pecking order naturally. I would suggest re-homing the dog might be
a better solution for all of you. To go from a house dog always living
inside to an unwanted source of hair and faeces can't be a happy experience
for the dog or for you.

Rehoming the dog is an ungoing consideration.

The dog loves the kids. She pooed on my one boy while he slept in bed
because she wasn't well and it's the only part of the bedroom she
wasn't allowed to be. Thus it saved her soiling her own doggy bed and
surrounding area. It was perfectly reasonable behaviour considering she
had to "go" really bad. I don't believe she did it out of malice.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/8/06 00:52, in article
, "Evan"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
A lot of dog behaviourists advise
getting dogs *after* the baby is born because then the dog learns its place
in the pecking order naturally. I would suggest re-homing the dog might be
a better solution for all of you. To go from a house dog always living
inside to an unwanted source of hair and faeces can't be a happy experience
for the dog or for you.

Rehoming the dog is an ungoing consideration.

The dog loves the kids. She pooed on my one boy while he slept in bed
because she wasn't well and it's the only part of the bedroom she
wasn't allowed to be. Thus it saved her soiling her own doggy bed and
surrounding area. It was perfectly reasonable behaviour considering she
had to "go" really bad. I don't believe she did it out of malice.

Dogs don't think in terms of malice, really, anyway. They do think in terms
of pecking order, though and at the top of the heap has to be you and your
spouse, then your child/children and then the dog. Most dogs won't mess
their own beds for obvious reasons but I have certainly known a dog (not
mine, thank goodness!) that would deliberately pee on the bed that a teenage
visitor to his house slept in - whichever bed that was. In the case of your
dog, it doesn't sound as if she was trying to harm your child but I imagine
she *could* have pooped on the carpet round his bed, rather than on it!
It's possible that being so close to the 'rival' child brought on her attack
of diarrhoea through stress, too.
Watching doggie behaviour is really very interesting and we're observing it
in our own household because we have a 5 yo grand daughter who visits
frequently. The dogs are more than well aware that she is ahead of them in
the 'pack' because she is an assertive type and isn't frightened of dogs
anyway. The two Jack Russells are litter brothers and castrated and we get
some very bloody Jack Russell moments occasionally as they try to assert
themselves, usually resolved by buckets of water and a lot of cursing from
whoever is trying to separate them! We also have a wire-haired dachshund
who is entire and one can observe that he is slowly moving to the top of the
pack by the fact that he is now the one that goes through the door second
and that he is still submissive to one of the JRs but not so much to the
other.
However, we've now gone waaaay OT for urg so let's return to your hedgehogs.
Don't, please, don't, try to force them out of your garden because of your
domestic situation with the dog. Not only are they delightful creatures in
their own right, they are real friends to gardeners AND their habitat is
sparse and undergoing constant change or even demolition! They do need to
find homes in which to raise their own babies so think of yourselves as
kindred spirits and find a new home for the dog or a place she can safely
sleep at night. Winter will be here in a few short months and a housedog
cannot kindly be left outside all night.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Aug 2006 01:55:34 -0700, "Evan" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
However, we've now gone waaaay OT for urg so let's return to your hedgehogs.
Don't, please, don't, try to force them out of your garden because of your
domestic situation with the dog. Not only are they delightful creatures in
their own right, they are real friends to gardeners AND their habitat is
sparse and undergoing constant change or even demolition! They do need to
find homes in which to raise their own babies so think of yourselves as
kindred spirits and find a new home for the dog or a place she can safely
sleep at night. Winter will be here in a few short months and a housedog
cannot kindly be left outside all night.

No the dog's not really the original topic, but because the lawn
digging is a major part of the problem, the insight into dog behaviour
isn't unwelcome. I'm having flashbacks to my University degree days
now....make it stop!!!

She's a black lab/staffie cross that stands above my knees. She's spent
about 25% of her nights (summer and winter) outdoors in a doghouse with
bedding. So size-wise and based on her history, she's not strictly a
house-dog, though she obviously prefers to overnight in the house.

I've talked to many folks who are adament one way or the other that
bigger dogs should be definitely left outside (or inside) the house. My
wife and I were pretty middle of the road...at least until the pooing
"incident".

If any kind and friendly folk in Walsall or Birmingham can afford the
time to run and play with her, I'd definitely consider rehoming my very
friendly dog with them. We simply can't devote enough time to her any
more with two new babies. Let me know.

You sound like a real ******. I wonder how long before you feel the
same about the children? Pets are for life, not for fun.

Malcolm Ogilvie of on the suggestion he
copied Konters book.

" You are making yourself look foolish. The book on Grebes by Andre
Konter that was published in 2001 was entitled 'Grebes of OUR World'.
My book, published only this month, is entitled 'Grebes of THE World',
and as such is entirely different. The similarity of the front covers
is quite coincidental. My book IS the first ever devoted to Grebes.

Malcolm Ogilivie."

KONTER (Andre) - Grebes of our World. Visiting all Species on Five
Continents - 2001, 8vo. 187pp. Colour photographs, line drawings. A
description of the 22 species of grebes, their natural history, ecology
and behaviour.

Grebes of the World
Malcolm Ogilvie
The book starts with an authoritative introduction on the origin,
evolution, distribution, physiology and behaviour of grebes, followed by
accounts of each of the 22 species

Malcolm it looks as though Konter might dispute that statement!

Rob

"Yes, indeed, what I said was wrong and I apologise to Andre Konter,

Malcolm Ogilvie"

The error I made was in a chatty piece about the actual writing of the
book which I posted to a non-birdwatching newsgroup

M Ogilvie

You clearly and explicitly stated that yours was the first book on the
subject, in the full knowledge that the topic had recently been
covered very thoroughly in Konter's book.
The facts speak for themselves. You are a liar who only had the grace
to own up when you had been found out - you even persisted in giving
the impression that you were the first to write it *after* I had drawn
attention to your untruth. Your apology comes a little late.
You do yourself no credit in introducing other, wholly irrelevant
matters in order to deflect criticism from your behaviour. Shame on
you.

Paul

Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ****** repellent?

©¿© wrote:
You sound like a real ******. I wonder how long before you feel the
same about the children? Pets are for life, not for fun.

I'll give you a hint, it's not ME who sounds like a ******. Hedgehogs
and babies weren't actually on our minds when our oldest son wanted the
dog in the first place. You don't sound like the cleverest bloke out
there, so I doubt you'd have planned for every eventuality either.

In my defence, I knew we probably weren't the best pet friendly family.
But it's the modern wife with the VETO power, not the other way around.
We adopted the dog out of another home where a woman's shift patterns
meant she couldn't have the dog. We didn't (and I would never) pay a
breeder to add another unwanted and unloved animal to the world. She's
been well treated and will continue to be.

As for the kids. I most certainly will want to get rid of them, no
doubts about that. At 18, they're OUTTA HERE!