Old 19-09-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who are these urglers?

"Uncle Marvo" wrote
My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers looked
like it would help towards less misunderstanding.

People get judged by appearance far too much in this life already. I
rather like mentally picturing people by the handsome is as handsome
writes method.

Mind you when I first started reading the group I thought Morley sounded
like a nice old gent in corduroy gardening trousers and waistcoat! ;-)
And there was a feisty lady called Pat - she turned out to be a bloke
with a pigtail iirc!

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think
I'm right. If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing
rigger boots I will address them differently from someone wearing a
twinset and pearls.

Online written 'appearance' can be judged likewise, and is probably more
reliable on the whole. If you see someone swearing and insulting people
whenever they have a difference of opinion and generally throwing
tantrums like a bad mannered brat, you draw the appropriate conclusions.

--
Sue

Old 19-09-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers

looked like
it would help towards less misunderstanding.

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think

I'm
right. If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing

rigger boots
I will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset and

pearls.

If you tried doing that where I live then you'd soon find out that the
one's wearing the tats and boots were from the rich and old families
and the ones wearing pearls were the snooty wannabes.

Old 20-09-2006, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers looked
like it would help towards less misunderstanding.

Agreed
http://www.mirrorproject.com/search/...shull&x=10&y=6

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think I'm
right.

Your right "~)

If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing rigger boots I
will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset and pearls.

Here is a Marvo pic. It features neither tattoos nor pearls.
http://www.backtrack.org/images/marvo.jpg
I don't normally dress quite like that, I'm usually scruffy. You may
guess why I am wearing whatever it is in that pic.

Leaky deck?
Is that a French beret lurking under there?

Where is this boat of yours and do you garden on deck or is there land round
the mooring?
Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:10:27 +0100, Uncle Marvo wrote
(in article ):

My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers looked
like
it would help towards less misunderstanding.

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think I'm
right. If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing rigger
boots
I will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset and
pearls.

Boggle. What if they have tattoos, rigger boots, and also twinset and
pearls? I understand what you're trying to say, but speaking personally I
couldn't care less what people on this group or any other look like. They
could have two heads for all I care. The most important thing to me is the
quality of their gardening advice and their reaction to others.
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Agreed, but IMO we do tend to judge people by their exteriors.
The way a person dresses must say something about them......

http://www.moonsville.com/images/spud30.jpg
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Nun-Sm...s_i825495_.htm

Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:10:27 +0100, Uncle Marvo wrote
(in article ):

My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers
looked like it would help towards less misunderstanding.

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think
I'm right. If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing
rigger boots I will address them differently from someone wearing a
twinset and pearls.

Boggle. What if they have tattoos, rigger boots, and also twinset and
pearls? I understand what you're trying to say, but speaking
personally I couldn't care less what people on this group or any
other look like. They could have two heads for all I care. The most
important thing to me is the quality of their gardening advice and
their reaction to others.

Ah, the chap with rigger boots and twinset is barred. He didn't get on
with the other customers.

I did say I always /think/ I'm right, not that I /am/. And I always try to
react appropriately to others. Please let me know if I don't.

BTW what is boggle?

http://lonestartimes.com/images/Benz..._06/boggle.jpg

And how do I get rid of this spare head?

Don't
http://www.idiomsbykids.com/taylor/m...then%20one.jpg

Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote
Judith Lea wrote
Absolutely ,Sally, you have hit the nail on the head - it's the quality
of their gardening advice and their reaction to others, not their
nationality or their age, status or class, I'm grateful for any
gardening advice, from whatever source, so long as it is accurate

And I have to say that goes for other NGs as well. I subscribe to a few
technical groups. I discovered by chance once that someone who gives
consistently good, mature advice was in fact under 20. It was the maturity
and the quality of the advice that shone through, not his age - because I
didn't know it, didn't care and what's more important (to me) _he_ didn't
show it by his responses.
Sally in Shropshire, UK

I have had a couple of experiences of 'meeting' people on the web and
getting an impression of them...... then meeting them in RL has occasionally
been a total revelation - a couple were nothing like I'd imagined (not
always positive!)

Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

... If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing rigger boots
I will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset and
pearls.

I haven't seen anyone wearing a twin set, never mind pearls, for years!
Mary

You should meet my friend who shall remain nameless "~)
She is the epitimy of Englishness: twin sets, pearls, doilies, apologises
all the time even when not in the wrong "~))

Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers
looked like it would help towards less misunderstanding.

Agreed
http://www.mirrorproject.com/search/...shull&x=10&y=6

I think we're in a minority!

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think
I'm right.

Your right "~)

Ah, that's nice.

If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing rigger
boots I will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset
and pearls. Here is a Marvo pic. It features neither tattoos nor pearls.
http://www.backtrack.org/images/marvo.jpg
I don't normally dress quite like that, I'm usually scruffy. You may
guess why I am wearing whatever it is in that pic.

Leaky deck?

Close

Is that a French beret lurking under there?

It's the Yorkshireman's flat 'at. I don't remember why I bought it, I'm from
Devon originally (God's own County).

Where is this boat of yours and do you garden on deck or is there
land round the mooring?

The boat's on the River Nene (pronounced Nen in Northamptonshire, which is
where it is). Northamptonshire, because of Northampton, is not generallly
thouoght of as a tourist trap but whre I am is possibly one of the most
beautiful places in the whole of England. I garden both on deck
(pelargoniums and herbs) and on the banks, although I've only been on this
mooring since last winter so NOTHING has really been done yet. That's one
reason I'm here, to find out what I need to do! I am thinking veg and
Ipomoea (cos that's what the boat's called and they are one of my favourite
flowers) and maybe some wild stuff to attract bees, cos where there are a
lot of bees there are less wasps :-)

Old 20-09-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

You should meet my friend who shall remain nameless "~)
She is the epitimy of Englishness: twin sets, pearls, doilies, apologises
all the time even when not in the wrong "~))

I do the last then wonder why ...

Mary

Old 20-09-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:10:53 +0100, JennyC wrote
(in article ):

snip

Agreed, but IMO we do tend to judge people by their exteriors.
The way a person dresses must say something about them......

http://www.moonsville.com/images/spud30.jpg

Ah! My solicitor no lessg.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 20-09-2006, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
It's the Yorkshireman's flat 'at. I don't remember why I bought it, I'm from
Devon originally (God's own County).

) Reading a wonderful book by Jean Echenoz, and last night the
description of the 'flat hat' by this amazing chap was so hilarious ...
well at least it was in French "I'll say perhaps like a pancake, or
perhaps the consistency of a floppy medium sized octopus ... ". Anyway,
I thought of you. There.

Old 20-09-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
I have had a couple of experiences of 'meeting' people on the web and
getting an impression of them...... then meeting them in RL has occasionally
been a total revelation - a couple were nothing like I'd imagined (not
always positive!)

The first time I walked into a meet, I stood there gobsmacked. I had
never ever seen so many blokes with so much facial hair )) It was
like the ZZ Top clones convention. Sometimes one is dissapointed,
expecting, for example, someone to have pink hair and turning out they
don't have pink hair after all ;o)