Old 13-10-2006, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rosa Rugosa

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

He even eats the juicy black seeds that fall off the laurel
hedge, we keep telling him off, but he sneaks off and eats more, I

would
have assumed the seeds were poisonous but he seems healthy enough.

When I was a child, all the kids used to eat seeds from what we called
a laurel. Must look up it's latin name.

Old 13-10-2006, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from "David in Normandy" contains

these

Thinking about it, I wonder if black labradors eat them too? He

eats
everything else, including wind-fall peaches. First dog we've had

that goes
scrumping!

We've had several dogs which picked and ate strawberries, and
enjoyed apples. The present one only picks and eats blackberries.

I knew of a German Shepherd who used to eat bananas stolen out of the
fruit bowl. The family fought for months about who was eating all the
bananas (skin and all) till the culprit was detected with a gobb full
of mushed banana.

And as bananas are now selling for from between 4 and 6 UK pounds/kg
due to a cyclones destroying most of the banana crop I hope the family
has moved the fruit bowl

Old 13-10-2006, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 23:50, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote
"Janet Baraclough" wrote
I have made that, but not for many years! I've been thinking of
making rosehip syrup, though, using the wild rose hips on the
hedgerows (better for red colour than r glauca). Do you have a
recipe?

What does one do with the syrup ??

BBC Woman's Hour wartime recipe:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womansho...recipe93.shtml

OR http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/blfruit9.htm

My Mum tells me that during the war she used to earn a few pennies along
with other children by going out collecting bags of rosehips which were
then sent away for making syrup. I believe it was part of some national
scheme to give to children as a vitamin C supplement because of the
restricted diet.

I seem to remember we were still given Delrosa rose-hip syrup when I was
small.

I was given Parrish's Chemical Food and some malty tasting treacly dark goo.
I didn't mind the latter but the PCF was disgusting and you had to drink it
through a straw because it stained the teeth. I hate to think what it did
to the insides!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 12/10/06 23:50, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

My Mum tells me that during the war she used to earn a few pennies along
with other children by going out collecting bags of rosehips which were
then sent away for making syrup. I believe it was part of some national
scheme to give to children as a vitamin C supplement because of the
restricted diet.

So did mine.

I seem to remember we were still given Delrosa rose-hip syrup when I was
small.

So did we

I was given Parrish's Chemical Food and some malty tasting treacly dark goo.
I didn't mind the latter

The goo was probably Virol, a brand of malt extract, good source of B
vitamins. (Istr Virol also included iron but I may have misremembered
that). I love malt extract and still use it in baking an for smoothies.
Janet.
Old 13-10-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
ups.com...

Farm1 wrote:
And as bananas are now selling for from between 4 and 6 UK

pounds/kg
due to a cyclones destroying most of the banana crop I hope the

family
has moved the fruit bowl

HOW MUCH!?! We bought them for 4lbs/UKP at Bury St Edmunds market

last
weekend.

You lucky duck! I'm green with envy at what you paid! I live in
Australia and a cyclone took out our local crop. Oz doens't import
bananas due to quarantine laws, hence the outrageous price which I
gave in UK prices (since our dollar price would mean nothing to most
readers here)

Old 13-10-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
And as bananas are now selling for from between 4 and 6 UK
pounds/kg due to a cyclones destroying most of the banana
crop I hope the family has moved the fruit bowl

HOW MUCH!?! We bought them for 4lbs/UKP
at Bury St Edmunds market last weekend.

You lucky duck! I'm green with envy at what you paid! I live in
Australia

Ah! Right. That does make a difference :-)

and a cyclone took out our local crop.

:-(

But on the other hand, can you get the banana equivalent of Granny
Smiths and Russets and Blenheim Orange and ... ? In Britain we get
stuck with the banana equivalent of commercially grown Golden
Delicious.

It was about two months after tasting /real/ bananas in India before I
could bring myself to eat a British banana again.

Old 13-10-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
, "Sue" wrote:
I seem to remember we were still given Delrosa rose-hip syrup when I was
small.

I was given Parrish's Chemical Food and some malty tasting treacly dark
goo.
I didn't mind the latter but the PCF was disgusting and you had to drink
it
through a straw because it stained the teeth. I hate to think what it did
to the insides!
Sacha

What about that WONDERFUL syrupy orange juice that came in a square bottle
.......... I loved that :~)
Jenny

Old 13-10-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/06 17:23, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 13/10/06 17:17, in article
, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
, "Sue" wrote:
I seem to remember we were still given Delrosa rose-hip syrup when I
was
small.

I was given Parrish's Chemical Food and some malty tasting treacly dark
goo.
I didn't mind the latter but the PCF was disgusting and you had to drink
it
through a straw because it stained the teeth. I hate to think what it
did
to the insides!
Sacha

What about that WONDERFUL syrupy orange juice that came in a square
bottle
......... I loved that :~)
Jenny

Urggghhh, no - awful memories! Our school matron had the vile idea that
that kind of juice mixed with hot water was the sovereign cure for
everything from a bash on the shins at hockey to a broken arm. It was
absolutely disgusting. A glass of that and one measly aspirin plus half
an
hour's sitting down used to get "now off you go and run around, dear".
Blech.
Sacha

OH - I loved it so much that I used to pester my Mum to swap coupons with
other people so I could have extra :~))

I liked the Virol and munched it down happily while others did their level
best to be AWOL when it was being doled out. Mind you that was when I
boarded briefly at a convent where the food was so utterly revolting that
nowadays it would be considered as a health hazard.

Old 13-10-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
And as bananas are now selling for from between 4 and 6 UK
pounds/kg
HOW MUCH!?! We bought them for 4lbs/UKP
at Bury St Edmunds market last weekend.

I live in Australia

Ah! Right. That does make a difference :-)

and a cyclone took out our local crop.

:-(

But on the other hand, can you get the banana equivalent of Granny
Smiths and Russets and Blenheim Orange and ... ?

Unfortunately not (or maybe in more tropical climes but not where we
live). We get the big bananas which I think are called Cavendish or
the small one's called Lady Finger which I prefer as they are sweeter.

In Britain we get
stuck with the banana equivalent of commercially grown Golden
Delicious.

:-)) We have the same trouble with apples as you have with bananas.
I've grafted a whole lot of British classic apples (6 or 9 different
grafts from memeory) onto 2 seedling apples trees and although I only
lost 1 graft, we've been plagued by drought ever since and not a piece
of fruit in sight :-((

It was about two months after tasting /real/ bananas in India before

could bring myself to eat a British banana again.

ATM, I'd settle for a good feed of Cavendish but on the greenish side.
Even the quality of the current ones is not good - too ripe for my
taste and not top quality.

Spacing for Rosa rugosa hedge? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 5 26-10-2004 12:24 PM
Rosa Rugosa Fall Planting Massachusetts? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 2 17-09-2004 07:48 PM
Rosa rugosa Bella United Kingdom 63 10-06-2004 05:46 PM
rosa rugosa Nelson Kirsch Gardening 4 25-06-2003 09:32 AM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM