Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gary Woods wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote:

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence.

They're native, I believe, to the Mohawk River valley of upper/central
(New) York. The native tribal types used them for winter food, which
must
have made the lodges interesting on a winter's night... I have a nice big
patch of them that is bent on world domination. Yes, they are gassy.
No,
I don't care.
I'm guessing that shipping the across the pond would cause major problems
at the customs checkpoints?

I'd say it just might! And I have found JA in a veg shop in the past.
I understand that just like garlic, you can plant what you would
normally buy from the grocer's to eat, so I may be able to do it that
way.

That is where I got my last lot, and they grew just fine.

Alternatively, I'll order from Des's UK based supplier.

Alan

Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/07 16:03, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes
after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Des in Dublin

Are those the Irish undeground version of Jerusalem Artichokes:-)

Ahhhhhhhhh bugger!!!
got me Cynaras and me Helianthusses mixed up so I did.
That's a fair cop guv.
(both silly names anyway :-)

Cynaras and Artichokes is different. Now you do have to have be very
strange to want to eat Cardoons.

Believe it or not (and here I puff out my large manly chest and seek revenge
for having been caught mixing up my edible daisies and thistles)
Cardoons are very edible (I had them in Madrid in a student restaurant 18
months ago; seemed to be stems or big leaf stalks) where they were called
Cardo and I guessed what they were and they tasted strongly of the thick
creamy sauce that was ladled all over them and I survived and they seemed
nice enough.

snip

I think they have to be blanched before they're cooked - earthed up, or
something. I remember we had this discussion some time ago on urg. But
cardoons grown as ornamental plants are fabulously spectacular - real show
stoppers in the garden.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-01-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
But
cardoons grown as ornamental plants are fabulously spectacular - real show
stoppers in the garden.

They are great self seeders as well - I'm forever removing those that
self seeded in the wrong place eg. amongst the strawberries. I've tried
to move them but they didn't like this at all.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/1/07 14:57, in article ,
"Gary Woods" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote:

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence.

They're native, I believe, to the Mohawk River valley of upper/central
(New) York. The native tribal types used them for winter food, which

must
have made the lodges interesting on a winter's night... I have a nice

big
patch of them that is bent on world domination. Yes, they are gassy.

No,
I don't care.

snip

I make soup with them and it doesn't seem to be such a problem!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

It is if you give it to the dog (I speak from experiance!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:

Dobies say they deliver Artichokes to Ireland.
http://www.dobies.co.uk/default.aspx

Ta Des. Apparently, they deliver in Feb, which means I should really
order now-ish if I am going to plant them at all this year. Gasp. I
am not psychologicallly ready for this. I am in totally indoors mode
at the mo, and really could not face wading my way out to the cabbage
patch... My week end morning runs on the Curragh are my main (only?)
outdoorsy forray, these days...

Cat(h)

Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:

God above! that does it. I'm redoing the asparagus bed, and getting
the beloved to revamp the bathroom.

Cat(h)

You have just given me a big belly laugh - I laughed so much I tipped
wine over the keyboard so I hope I can type later on.

Giggling Judith at home

Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/1/07 16:03, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

[...]

We have both cardoon and artichoke (well one of each; small front garden);
the cardoon is more spectacular but the artichoke is neater (and easier to
eat :-).

Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:

We have both cardoon and artichoke (well one of each; small front garden);
the cardoon is more spectacular but the artichoke is neater (and easier to
eat :-).

I love Cardoons but they turn my fingers black, is there a way to avoid
this?

Judith at home in England

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:

We have both cardoon and artichoke (well one of each; small front
garden);
the cardoon is more spectacular but the artichoke is neater (and easier
eat :-).

I love Cardoons but they turn my fingers black, is there a way to avoid
this?

Judith at home in England

How strange. Does no other part of your body turn black after eating them.?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have fond memories of me
(years ago!) in a bath with a glass of champage and asparagus with
butter dripping from it.
Judith at Home in England.

I know it's forbidden to post pics to the group but on this occasion....:-)

Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.
For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no gloating
please!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

The online plant suppliers rather dictate what I must plant.
Things keep arriving that I ordered ages ago and I had forgotten about.
Seems to be the week when all the Arisaema people shunt out stuff.
A goodly selection of bulbs (corms?) to plant immediately as they are all
showing very rapid growth.
Being more specific I have Arisaema sikkokianum bicolorifolium-try saying
that after a few glasses of winter night booze. Don't bother to look it up
it's just a very posh form of Lords & Ladies.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/07 21:30, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

snip

We have both cardoon and artichoke (well one of each; small front garden);
the cardoon is more spectacular but the artichoke is neater (and easier to
eat :-).

Helluva fiddle, though!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I love Cardoons but they turn my fingers black, is there a way to avoid
this?

Judith at home in England

How strange. Does no other part of your body turn black after eating them.?

No, only my fingers. Some years ago, I was taking some blood from a
patient and I had to double glove as I was so ashamed of my black
fingers. I was worried in case the patient thought I had filthy
fingers.

Judith at home in England