Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

On 10/1/07 22:26, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"judith lea" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have fond memories of me
(years ago!) in a bath with a glass of champage and asparagus with
butter dripping from it.
Judith at Home in England.

I know it's forbidden to post pics to the group but on this occasion....:-)

Rupert, Judith could post any number of pics to this group that would have
us just rocking with laughter. In fact, at one point some years ago, we
considered starting a collection of her posts and adding them to the FAQ.
One of the best was her story of collecting urine to accelerate her compost
heap. To this day, I get tears in my eyes when I just think of it......
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Rupert, Judith could post any number of pics to this group that would have
us just rocking with laughter. In fact, at one point some years ago, we
considered starting a collection of her posts and adding them to the FAQ.
One of the best was her story of collecting urine to accelerate her compost
heap. To this day, I get tears in my eyes when I just think of it......
--
Sacha

Even though the stairwell has been decorated, I swear I can still see a
slight shadow there. I am going to start collecting urine again as my
daleks are full of bits of lawn and I need these to rot down - this
time I am going to use the cloakroom downstairs and not the bathroom
upstairs.

Did I tell you about me going into the hypermarket rcently in my gold
slippers, my grandson was so ashamed that he walked 10 metres behind me
and looked the other way if I spoke to him. It was too late to go back
to the house and change and anyway in Nice nobody would have thought
twice about it but unfortunately I was in a town and when the people
stared at me, which they did, I smiled dazzling them with a full beam
and they obviously thought I was some sort of personality as they
smiled back.

Judth at home in England and just off to bed with a glass of dry white
wine and a chapter of my latest Martina Cole book so that I can pretend
that I am a gangster's moll.

Night night.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,

I've been out gardening ;-) (gloat)

but here is a list of some of my seeds for this year - that are here now,
ready and waiting:

* is new a new variety for us for this year

*Dwarf French Bean - Borlotto Firetongue ..... red with white streaks

*Runner Bean - Hestia (Dwarf Stringless) - red and white/pink - I usually
grow non-standard coloured runners these days. I have also got some other
seeds saved from last year.

*Chilli - Hot Stuff - various colours

*Squash - Cobnut - really looking forward to this but bit worried that it
might sprawl all over the place.

*Tomato - Sweet Million - a cheery type meant to be 'super sweet'

Courgette - Orelia - I tried this two years ago and it's now a regular.

Cantaloupe Melon - I might go for outside this year as I increase the pot
size every year - and they still seem to get pot-bound

any tips and comments grafefully received

Keith

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"judith lea" wrote in message
[...]

What else would expect from a Woman who drinks a glass of champagne with
asparagus in it, in a bath dripping with butter.:-)

Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/1/07 21:30, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

snip

We have both cardoon and artichoke (well one of each; small front
garden);
the cardoon is more spectacular but the artichoke is neater (and easier
eat :-).

Helluva fiddle, though!

Absolutely and I would be keen to try a few varieties as I am sure some are
less fiddly than others and/or taste better.
I spent ages peering at daft explanations in Delia Smyth's book and an
Italian book (Marcella Hazan) and not getting very far. The easiest ways in
the end were to either:
1) cut them in half and scrape out the choke and then boil the halves; the
tough out bits can then be pulled away easily and you can then eat chunks
or
2) remove as much choke as possible (fiddly) raw and then boil and pull off
the (ehhhhhhh anatomical technicalities here; the leafy bits are not sepals?
They are involucral bracts? hic) leafy bits one by one and dip each into
mayonnaise and chew off the edible bits from one end.

After all that it is common to have eaten a packet of crisps while waiting
for the things to cook and to have gone off eating them.
So maybe cardoons are easier after all :-)

Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I don't usually read gardening magazines, but the other day I read Anne
Swithinbank writing about starting broad bean Aquadulce claudia, in 9cm pots
in the greenhouse. I am giving it a go, and for the first time ever, have
steadfastly sowed a couple of dozen there, indoors (!) a few days ago.

When they grow I'll ask her 'round for dinner ;-)

Does anyone here start broad beans under glass?

Keith

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
How many plants did you do; how long ago did you plant them and what
variety?

The broadbeans I grow are Jubilee Hysor - fat yummy pods on sturdy
plants and Sutton broad beans is an experiment as it is said they're
great in an 'exposed' garden (I suspect it's because they're a dwarf
variety). I sow at the beginning/mid March, when I find a dry day, 15cm
apart, 20 per 2x row. Though lots of people sow in the autumn. I find
it usually too wet up here in Manc.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/07 22:51, in article
, "judith lea"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Oh lord. Here we go again. Daft woman! ;-)

Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"judith lea" wrote in message
[...]

An awful lot more, I hope. Judith should be designated a National Treasure!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/07 23:08, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/1/07 21:30, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

[...]

I think I'll just go for the Jerusalems, frankly. I've dealt with the others
a few times but I very underwhelmed by them. I have a particular dislike of
'fiddly food' so they just don't do it for me.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Gasp! (Probably) I would never give my artichoke soup to the dog - if
nothing else, I'd gorge on it myself.

Anybody got a recipe? I've only baked them in herbed butter or cut up raw
as ersatz "water chestnuts" in salads. Tried brining them, but forgot
about the jar for _way_ too long.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Any minute now you'll tell us that the Hardenbergia is in full flower. ;-)

Not full flower - the racemes right at the top are fully open, but
those at eye level have a day or so to go. The wind is back this
morning Solanum wendlandii has broken free of its support and is
thrashing about, threatening to lacerate anything and anyone close by.
A neighbouring Brugmansia already looks as though it has been attacked
by a maniac with a craft knife.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
2) remove as much choke as possible (fiddly) raw and then boil and pull off
the (ehhhhhhh anatomical technicalities here; the leafy bits are not sepals?
They are involucral bracts? hic) leafy bits one by one and dip each into
mayonnaise and chew off the edible bits from one end.

Sacrilege!!! Mayo? Vinaigrette. You tip your plate with a fork
underneath. Pour your vinaigrette in the plate which will collect
nearer to you. Grab your artichocke and one by one remove the leaves
and dip in vinaigrette. When almost at the middle, grab all the leaves
which are left in one go, dip the end bit in vinaigrette - eat. Then
with your knife, remove the hair ring, put the heart in the vinaigrette
- eat. By then you would have also eaten half a french baguette )

After all that it is common to have eaten a packet of crisps while waiting
for the things to cook and to have gone off eating them.
So maybe cardoons are easier after all :-)

20 minutes is too long to wait for such wonderful food? Why don't we
take the time to eat anymore ... (

Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
I don't usually read gardening magazines, but the other day I read Anne
Swithinbank writing about starting broad bean Aquadulce claudia, in 9cm pots
in the greenhouse. I am giving it a go, and for the first time ever, have
steadfastly sowed a couple of dozen there, indoors (!) a few days ago.
When they grow I'll ask her 'round for dinner ;-)
Does anyone here start broad beans under glass?

Never. But the aquadulce is the best for autumn sowing as it's tough
enough for winter. Maybe that's why they're ok to start under glass. I
always feel that, beside leeks and a huge number of flowers that I grow
from seeds, I prefer straight sowing as it gives me stronger plants.