Old 10-01-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

Des Higgins wrote:
My wife will do potatoes (like desiree and might try maris piper this year);
she does the digging and likes doing it.
and we will probably do tomatoes in the greenhouse (sungold plus one other).
My wish list for this year is headed by pumpkins. Last year I ended up
growing one plant by accident (meant to do more) and got 2 pumpkins and they
were a revelation. This year I want to grow 3 or 4 plants.
I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence. If
you find a supplier in the Dublin area, let me know!

Otherwise, every year, I promise I will start Asparagus and never do.

If you do, do a better job than I have, complete with dead donkey at
bottom of abyssal trench.

Finally, I want to try peas and or broad beans.

I did both last year - the peas were not a great success. But the
broad beans were fantabulous. It was my first time ever, and will
definitely not be the last. If you must choose, I'd recommend the
broad beans.

The other new years resolutions, I have forgotten :-)

I am still refining mine.

Des in Dublin

Cat(h)

Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote:

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence.

They're native, I believe, to the Mohawk River valley of upper/central
(New) York. The native tribal types used them for winter food, which must
have made the lodges interesting on a winter's night... I have a nice big
patch of them that is bent on world domination. Yes, they are gassy. No,
I don't care.
I'm guessing that shipping the across the pond would cause major problems
at the customs checkpoints?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
[...]

How many plants did you do; how long ago did you plant them and what
variety?
Is it worth a shot?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Cat(h)" wrote:

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence.

They're native, I believe, to the Mohawk River valley of upper/central
(New) York. The native tribal types used them for winter food, which must
have made the lodges interesting on a winter's night... I have a nice big
patch of them that is bent on world domination. Yes, they are gassy. No,
I don't care.
I'm guessing that shipping the across the pond would cause major problems
at the customs checkpoints?

Hi Gary: UK folks can get them easily from several suppliers. They do not
supply to Ireland (the ones I have checked so far anyway).
I will just get one from a local garden centre and stand back.

Des

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes
after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Des in Dublin

Are those the Irish undeground version of Jerusalem Artichokes:-)

Ahhhhhhhhh bugger!!!
got me Cynaras and me Helianthusses mixed up so I did.
That's a fair cop guv.
(both silly names anyway :-)

Cynaras and Artichokes is different. Now you do have to have be very strange
to want to eat Cardoons.
If you do go for J Artichokes then get the ones that make big fat
tubers-because they are a swine to clean.The small things take ages to get
the muck out of all the crevices,even after boiling.
And there is nothing wrong with the fart thingy-it aerates one's piles.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
My wife will do potatoes (like desiree and might try maris piper this
year);
she does the digging and likes doing it.
and we will probably do tomatoes in the greenhouse (sungold plus one
other).
My wish list for this year is headed by pumpkins. Last year I ended up
growing one plant by accident (meant to do more) and got 2 pumpkins and
they
were a revelation. This year I want to grow 3 or 4 plants.
I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence. If
you find a supplier in the Dublin area, let me know!

Dobies say they deliver Artichokes to Ireland.
http://www.dobies.co.uk/default.aspx

Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
How many plants did you do; how long ago did you plant them and what
variety?

The broadbeans I grow are Jubilee Hysor - fat yummy pods on sturdy
plants and Sutton broad beans is an experiment as it is said they're
great in an 'exposed' garden (I suspect it's because they're a dwarf
variety). I sow at the beginning/mid March, when I find a dry day, 15cm
apart, 20 per 2x row. Though lots of people sow in the autumn. I find
it usually too wet up here in Manc.

Peas are easy and wonderful. The one I have used 3 years running now
are Onward and Little Marvel (I mix them). 8/10cm apart, I sow 2 peas
together and remove the wicker plant. Then on the other side I sow 20
cm apart and the following week I sow in between so I usually get peas
up to October some years!

Is it worth a shot?

Anything is worth a shot!! You don't need a garden to grow veg! I
always sow too much because I consume a lot in situ )

Old 10-01-2007, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes
after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Des in Dublin

Are those the Irish undeground version of Jerusalem Artichokes:-)

Ahhhhhhhhh bugger!!!
got me Cynaras and me Helianthusses mixed up so I did.
That's a fair cop guv.
(both silly names anyway :-)

Cynaras and Artichokes is different. Now you do have to have be very
strange to want to eat Cardoons.

Believe it or not (and here I puff out my large manly chest and seek revenge
for having been caught mixing up my edible daisies and thistles)
Cardoons are very edible (I had them in Madrid in a student restaurant 18
months ago; seemed to be stems or big leaf stalks) where they were called
Cardo and I guessed what they were and they tasted strongly of the thick
creamy sauce that was ladled all over them and I survived and they seemed
nice enough. Probably had to be boiled in caustic potash for a week. Globe
Artichokes are also Cynaras though: Cynara scolymus (says I after a hasty
google to check). That'll teach you for pointing out my embarassing
vegetable blunders.

If you do go for J Artichokes then get the ones that make big fat
tubers-because they are a swine to clean.The small things take ages to get
the muck out of all the crevices,even after boiling.
And there is nothing wrong with the fart thingy-it aerates one's piles.

I already ehhhhh have well aerated piles so it is possible the J-artichokes
could even improve matters.
I found Dobies deliver them to Ireland so here goes. I used to have a clump
of something very similar (invasive perennial sunflowers with mad knobbly
roots) when I lived in UK in mid 90s and they were beautiful plants so I am
happy to try them anyway. The chips will be a bonus :-).

Des

Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
[...]

I planted four crowns about 2 1/2 years ago. I dug a big trench, and
put lots of manure and compost - no deceased animals because I had none
to hand, and the neighbour's cats run too fast when they see me. I
can't remember the variety: I bought them in pots from that garden
centre on the side of the N8 in Kilcoran near Cahir (worth stopping at,
by the way), I am not even sure they were labelled! The crowns were
fairly smallish when I planted them.

Is it worth a shot?

I sure hope so, but so far all I have had to show for my efforts was
one spear I could not resist (eaten raw last spring after a quick run
under the tap) and nice fluffy fronds. I could not harvest it because
it was too young. This winter, I have cut down the fronds and mulshed
over the top. I suspect I should re-do the whole thing and relocated
them more judiciously, though, because I lost one of them or at least I
think I did, due to trampling.
I live in hope to get a few spears this coming spring. Not sure
whether 3/4 plants is enough for me, but I'll soon find out.

Cat(h)

Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote:

Jerusalem artichokes are yummy - never mind fashion and flatulence.

They're native, I believe, to the Mohawk River valley of upper/central
(New) York. The native tribal types used them for winter food, which must
have made the lodges interesting on a winter's night... I have a nice big
patch of them that is bent on world domination. Yes, they are gassy. No,
I don't care.
I'm guessing that shipping the across the pond would cause major problems
at the customs checkpoints?

I'd say it just might! And I have found JA in a veg shop in the past.
I understand that just like garlic, you can plant what you would
normally buy from the grocer's to eat, so I may be able to do it that
way.
Alternatively, I'll order from Des's UK based supplier.

Cat(h)

Old 10-01-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
[...]

I've never grown asparagus but I saw some fantastic very tall ferny stuff
last summer in a neighbours garden. I want to grow it just for the foliage.
Is the foliage normally 5 feet tall.? I got some of the orange seed so it's
worth a go.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.

I find this most disturbing... You know, some of us (the fair weather
gardening kind) don't venture into our "pleasant outdoor room" until
the risk of sinking past our knees in the lawn on the way to the veg
patch is well passed. That might explain why we have to get 90% of our
tomato trusses in for final ripening at the end of the season, mind...
Anyway, some of us are still in gardening hibernation :-)

For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no gloating
please!

It has been, for almost 24 hours. Naaaaaanaaaaaanananaaaaaaaaah.

Cat(h)

Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I've never grown asparagus but I saw some fantastic very tall ferny stuff
last summer in a neighbours garden. I want to grow it just for the foliage.
Is the foliage normally 5 feet tall.? I got some of the orange seed so it's
worth a go.

Rupert, we grew asparagus at our last house in the City where we were
on better soil than we have here. We had approximately 4 dozen, three
year old crowns, when we bought them. We were unable to eat from them
the first year we planted them but the following year produced a good
crop so that we could eat the spears about twice a week. The year
after, we could eat them more often and I have fond memories of me
(years ago!) in a bath with a glass of champage and asparagus with
butter dripping from it. I was getting over a nasty cold and my
husband was spoiling me.

Judith at Home in England.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I've never grown asparagus but I saw some fantastic very tall ferny stuff
last summer in a neighbours garden. I want to grow it just for the foliage.
Is the foliage normally 5 feet tall.?

Mine certainly was.

I got some of the orange seed so it's
worth a go.

I hope you have plenty of patience :-) That said, the spears are a far
greater attraction - to my greedy guts, at any rate.

Cat(h)

Old 10-01-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith lea wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I've never grown asparagus but I saw some fantastic very tall ferny stuff
last summer in a neighbours garden. I want to grow it just for the foliage.
Is the foliage normally 5 feet tall.? I got some of the orange seed so it's
worth a go.

Rupert, we grew asparagus at our last house in the City where we were
on better soil than we have here. We had approximately 4 dozen, three
year old crowns, when we bought them. We were unable to eat from them
the first year we planted them but the following year produced a good
crop so that we could eat the spears about twice a week. The year
after, we could eat them more often and I have fond memories of me
(years ago!) in a bath with a glass of champage and asparagus with
butter dripping from it. I was getting over a nasty cold and my
husband was spoiling me.

God above! that does it. I'm redoing the asparagus bed, and getting
the beloved to revamp the bathroom.

Cat(h)