Old 20-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Kay Easton

Default Cats and Rabies

In article , Charlie
writes
Well, we had to have all ours done (two dogs and a cat) before they were 12
weeks old. Maybe things have changed recently.

For rabies???
Ours never have been - they've been vaccinated against cat flu and the
other similar thing and against 'cat HIV', but I've never seen a vet
offering rabies jabs as routine.

But then you did mention pedigree, and my cats certainly aren't that.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Mike

In article , Kay Easton
writes

But then you did mention pedigree, and my cats certainly aren't that.

Exactly. NONE of the vermin who crap all over our gardens are pedigree.
We have one Siamese cat in the area and that is looked after carefully
by it's "owner" and yes they do own it and look after it.

Ginger Toms and Tortoiseshells roam at will :-((

Mike
Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 20-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Malcolm

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Charlie
writes
Well, we had to have all ours done (two dogs and a cat) before they were 12
weeks old. Maybe things have changed recently.

For rabies???
Ours never have been - they've been vaccinated against cat flu and the
other similar thing and against 'cat HIV', but I've never seen a vet
offering rabies jabs as routine.

But then you did mention pedigree, and my cats certainly aren't that.

Well our dog is and had the usual jab at about 8 weeks to guard against
distemper, parvovirus and a few other things and gets an annual booster.
I've never heard of routine vaccination against rabies for cats or dogs
in this country unless they are going abroad. Shome mishtake, shurely?

--
Malcolm
Old 20-04-2003, 11:32 AM
geoff

Surely the whole point is that when rabies gets to the UK, the wholesale
shooting of wandering animals such as cats, dogs and foxes etc will be the
norm as in parts of Germany in the late 1950's.

There's lots of people who will welcome the day!

Geoff

Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Mike

In article , geoff
writes
Surely the whole point is that when rabies gets to the UK, the wholesale
shooting of wandering animals such as cats, dogs and foxes etc will be the
norm as in parts of Germany in the late 1950's.

There's lots of people who will welcome the day!

Geoff

ME for one :-))))

Responsible people will keep their animals in.

'Cats are roamers and we cannot keep them in all the time' Cat owners
keep telling us. I wonder if they change their tune if the wholesale
slaughter of roaming animals is brought in? :-}}

Old 20-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Charlie

Just looked at our records, and indeed both dogs and our cat were vaccinated
for rabies at between 9 and 12 weeks old.

Charlie.

"Malcolm" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old 20-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Malcolm

In article , Hussein M.
writes
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:33:22 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:16:16 +0100, (swroot)
wrote:

Mike wrote:

Someone has emailed me with the question, what happens if cats get
Rabies?

The way the vermin travel at will all over other people's gardens and
the countryside, and now an epidemic, how long before they pass it to
humans?

Be more worried about foxes.

And bats!

and rats

Rabies was the chief protagonist in the last nightmare I had as a
child which necessitated crawling into my parents bed.

Such a horrendous picture had been painted for me of the cure should
you catch it (you need to be bitten). Injections in the spine and the
demise, should it occur, breaking ones own by arching it with the most
excruciating pain - I was told.

Not a nice thing to put into a wee laddies imagination in order to
get him never to go near rats, dogs etc. This was in the Far East.

Golly! I think you were spun a frightening yarn. I've always understood
that if you were bitten, you were given a fortnight's course of daily
injections in the abdomen. The result of each injection was a large lump
that itched a great deal and it was necessary to get that lump down
before the next one, otherwise the discomfort was compounded. For that
reason the injections were given on alternate sides to allow you two
days to get it down, which was achieved by one of your servants (this
was India between the wars) rolling a bottle filled with very cold water
on the lump for hours at a time.

--
Malcolm
Old 20-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Malcolm

In article , Charlie
writes
"Malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

Astonishing! I hope you weren't overcharged for this unnecessary(1)
jab!! And, like other vaccinations, it has to be repeated at regular
intervals. Were yours given booster jabs?

(1) unless you had told your vet you might take your animals abroad.

--
Malcolm
Old 20-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Charlie

Yup, when they went back for their year-later boosters. Amazing, eh? Just
asked my friend (who bred our first dog) and all her dogs were done too.
Her cat wasn't though, as it was born on the farm and never registered.
Interesting.

Charlie.

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Charlie
writes

Old 20-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Little Badger

Can't wait!
I'll start with the dog that keeps coming into my front garden!

They eat dogs in Korea! Tastes like chicken, so I'm told!

I bet there's lots of interesting Korean Dog recipes out there!
Maybe we should start posting some! Hey! Mike? ;o)

Badger

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , geoff
writes

------

Old 20-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Mike

In article , Little
Badger writes
Can't wait!
I'll start with the dog that keeps coming into my front garden!

They eat dogs in Korea! Tastes like chicken, so I'm told!

I bet there's lots of interesting Korean Dog recipes out there!
Maybe we should start posting some! Hey! Mike? ;o)

along with the Maltese Cat recipes?

YES YES YES (But before they rabies. At least cats don't get mixy, so we
are OK there :-))

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:17:41 +0100, geoff wrote:

Surely the whole point is that when rabies gets to the UK, the
wholesale shooting of wandering animals such as cats, dogs and foxes
etc will be the norm as in parts of Germany in the late 1950's.

And in this country in the 60's I think. Don't remember it myself but
archive footage I've seen looks about that period.

I wonder if they'd be allowed to do it these days. Thinking of the
recent fuss over hunting and F&M.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Little Badger

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:17:41 +0100, geoff wrote:

Surely the whole point is that when rabies gets to the UK, the
wholesale shooting of wandering animals such as cats, dogs and foxes
etc will be the norm as in parts of Germany in the late 1950's.

And in this country in the 60's I think. Don't remember it myself but
archive footage I've seen looks about that period.

I wonder if they'd be allowed to do it these days. Thinking of the
recent fuss over hunting and F&M.

No goverment in power, these days, would sanction such action on cats and
dogs as they know they would be out in the next general election!

Badger

Old 20-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Little Badger

Yes! But that dog in my front garden! Responsible people would keep their
dogs in! It has no owner keeping it on a lead!
Damn dog keeps crapping on my front garden! What shall I do about it?
Answer!
Nothing!
It can do what it wants along with cats, foxes, bats etc.!!!

I'll just have to live with it! Why don't you?

Badger