Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweetcorn

Good Morning All

I am trying to grow some sweetcorn and have put 6 corns in pots inside a
propagator about one month ago and they do not seem to be doing anything.
Has anyone ever tried to grow sweetcorn? How long does it take to germinate
usually? I have tried to look online but I can not seem to find anything on
sweetcorn germinatation.

Am debating just chucking the ones I have planted and trying some new seeds.

Thank you
Donna

Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna \(UK\)" typed

Good Morning All

I am trying to grow some sweetcorn and have put 6 corns in pots inside a
propagator about one month ago and they do not seem to be doing anything.
Has anyone ever tried to grow sweetcorn? How long does it take to
germinate
usually? I have tried to look online but I can not seem to find
anything on
sweetcorn germinatation.

Am debating just chucking the ones I have planted and trying some new seeds.

Thank you
Donna

My partner planted sweetcorn outdoors here a few years ago. I think he
started later in the season though.

The plants grew like Topsy and needed lots of water.

We had edible products.

Great fun!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna (UK) wrote:
Good Morning All

I am trying to grow some sweetcorn and have put 6 corns in pots
inside a propagator about one month ago and they do not seem to be
doing anything. Has anyone ever tried to grow sweetcorn? How long
does it take to germinate usually? I have tried to look online but I
can not seem to find anything on sweetcorn germinatation.

Am debating just chucking the ones I have planted and trying some new
seeds.
Thank you
Donna

They should have poked their heads out by now.
If you want 6 good plants, sow a couple of dozen, and pick the best. I
always use fibre pots, near a window and some warmth. That way, when you
plant them out, you don't disturb the roots. Be prepared for a heavy
watering schedule.......they drink gallons once they get going!
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good Morning All

I am trying to grow some sweetcorn and have put 6 corns in pots
inside a propagator about one month ago and they do not seem to be
doing anything. Has anyone ever tried to grow sweetcorn? How long
does it take to germinate usually? I have tried to look online but I
can not seem to find anything on sweetcorn germinatation.

Am debating just chucking the ones I have planted and trying some new
seeds.
Thank you
Donna

Farfarfar too early!
I have good results planting out 6 inch high seedlings endmay/begjun sown in
pots early may and germinated with(optional) undersoil heat in greenhouse.
Plant them out in a block - min 4pl x 4 sq. about 15ins apart.
Now is far too early because the outside air temp at night is still too low
and they will go off in a propagator if forced.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
k...
Good Morning All

I am trying to grow some sweetcorn and have put 6 corns in pots inside
a propagator about one month ago and they do not seem to be doing
anything. Has anyone ever tried to grow sweetcorn? How long does it
take to germinate usually? I have tried to look online but I can not
seem to find anything on sweetcorn germinatation.

Am debating just chucking the ones I have planted and trying some new
seeds.

Thank you
Donna

I've been growing corn for years and usually have no problems and good
results. however last year I had the same trouble as you report.
I started them far too early (mental aberration) coupled with over
watering before the seed had germinated which caused the seed to rot.
Carefully scrape away the compost on one to see if the seed is OK. They
should have sprouted by now but you planted far too early.
I'm sowing mine in a propagator in about ten days time and they should
be ready for setting out in a bed late May /early June.
P.pleater.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for all the replies... I thought that it was too early when I
read the packet but thought I would try it anyway. I guess when they say
you can sow it in march/april they mean with a heated propagator...

Will try again in a few weeks...

Donna

Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
Thank you for all the replies... I thought that it was too early when I
read the packet but thought I would try it anyway. I guess when they say
you can sow it in march/april they mean with a heated propagator...

Will try again in a few weeks...

Donna

I have had the same difficulty. The first six all rotted to yellow gloop, I
thought too wet and warm. The next six all went mouldy except for one which
is growing. A professional gardner I consulted suggested germinating the
seeds on wet paper in the shade like kids do with beans before putting them
in compost. I don't see how it can be too early to grow indoors - the seeds
don't know what the date is.

Tim W

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message

I have had the same difficulty. The first six all rotted to yellow gloop,
I thought too wet and warm. The next six all went mouldy except for one
which is growing. A professional gardner I consulted suggested germinating
the seeds on wet paper in the shade like kids do with beans before putting
them in compost. I don't see how it can be too early to grow indoors - the
seeds don't know what the date is.

Tim W

Farmers sow acres and acres of the stuff which crops ok.- I don't think
they use any wet paper in the process !
I doubt they have yet sown any, especially north of Birmingham.

Donna is wise to wait awhile.

I will be sowing in pots in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks time -
one seed per pot with a expected germination rate of 75 percent.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Pete Stockdale" writes:
| "Tim W" wrote in message
|
| I have had the same difficulty. The first six all rotted to yellow gloop,
| I thought too wet and warm. The next six all went mouldy except for one
| which is growing. A professional gardner I consulted suggested germinating
| the seeds on wet paper in the shade like kids do with beans before putting
| them in compost. I don't see how it can be too early to grow indoors - the
| seeds don't know what the date is.

I do that with many seeds, including peas and beans.

| Farmers sow acres and acres of the stuff which crops ok.- I don't think
| they use any wet paper in the process !

They may do :-) You can buy such things commercially, though it is
more usual for them to be in wallpaper paste.

| I doubt they have yet sown any, especially north of Birmingham.
|
| Donna is wise to wait awhile.

Agreed.

| I will be sowing in pots in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks time -
| one seed per pot with a expected germination rate of 75 percent.

You are likely to get 90-95% on paper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim W writes

I have had the same difficulty. The first six all rotted to yellow gloop, I
thought too wet and warm. The next six all went mouldy except for one which
is growing. A professional gardner I consulted suggested germinating the
seeds on wet paper in the shade like kids do with beans before putting them
in compost. I don't see how it can be too early to grow indoors - the seeds
don't know what the date is.

That's exactly the problem. They germinate regardless, and you have the
choice of planting them out while it's still too cold for them, or
growing them on indoors where there's not enough light and they get thin
and spindly. They'd be a lot better off if they *did* know what the date
was.
--
Kay

Old 18-04-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have grown sweetcord for a number of years and seem to have increasing
difficulty in making the seeds germinate. This year only 10 have germinated
out of 23 pots. If they are going to germinate they usually do in about a
week so I would get rid of your present pots and start again.
Best of luck sweetcorn straight from the garden is wonderful.
Colin

Old 18-04-2007, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for your post. I planted another 5 corns as tests a few days ago
and have managed to get 4 of the 5 to germinate. I got a little white shot
just poking out of the dirt so fingers crossed I can sample fresh sweetcorn
straight from the garden this year.

Donna

Old 19-04-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
Thank you for your post. I planted another 5 corns as tests a few days
ago
and have managed to get 4 of the 5 to germinate. I got a little white
shot
just poking out of the dirt so fingers crossed I can sample fresh
sweetcorn
straight from the garden this year.

Donna

Still a bit early, Donna, but good luck anyway !
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-04-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
... I planted another 5 corns as tests a few days ago
and have managed to get 4 of the 5 to germinate. ...

My second attempt in peat pots on the window sill - 5 out of 6, yay!

Tim w