Old 16-06-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cats in garden

Bazza wrote:
Hi all,
I encourage wildlife into my garden which is visited and nested by
Birds, squirrels, Fox's,badgers,frogs,toads, newts and the occasional
sloworm and grassnake, I also have an aviary with Cockatiels.

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars
and look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the
street. They crap in the garden, have caught collared doves and the
other birds and eat the food I put out for the Badgers and Fox's not
to mention trying to terrorise my cockatiels.
I have been looking for ways to discourage them without harming the
rest of the wildlife.
I don't want a dog or a cat, don't spend enough time at home to do
them justice.
I have looked at sensor watering systems etc.. but have come across
this one:

http://tinyurl.com/2evhnr.

Anybody any experience of this or similar?

I am a pretty good shot and lots of patience so quite fancy it

Bazza

Can't get your link to work Bazza. However, look at this........
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm

--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 16-06-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Yes Baby
wrote

you do know where cats originated..................no, you know nothing
about them.

But what's this got to do with irresponsible cat owners? If the owners
were aware or the origins and habits then they wouldn't be antisocial
and keep them in an urban environment.

Most owners seem to think that if the cat doesn't shit in their own back
yard then they are a responsible owner. I bet these people would be the
first to complain if the local yob climbed into their garden every day
and dug up their flower beds to have a shit.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 16-06-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BoyPete
wrote

Can't get your link to work Bazza. However, look at this........
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm

Why is it always the victim of the vandalism that has to pay when the
problem is the owner of the cat? Perhaps the solution is an ASBO?

Old 16-06-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:
Bazza wrote:
[...]

Yes seen that type, don't want to deter the foxes though.
This is the one I am looking at:
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...ategory=PEST-G

Bazza
Old 16-06-2007, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bazza wrote:

BoyPete wrote: Bazza wrote: Hi all, I encourage wildlife

[...]

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...=ST05942&super
category=G&branch=&wcategory=PEST-G Bazza

I've got two sonic cat scarers. One in the front garden and one in the
rear garden. They do work OK. Not identical to yours, but they work,
and we haven't had a cat in the back garden for two years now. Worth
every penny.

Old 16-06-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:
Bazza wrote:

[...]

For £19.99 I will give it a go, as I said I don't want to deter the
Foxes which could happen if it was a permanent setup but with this I can
target the cats from the house when I put out the left overs in the
evenings(they do run away as soon as they see me, probably from the time
I managed to soak them with the hosepipe) .
The cats are always there waiting for me to walk back to the house and
help themselves, can't blame them as it is a free meal to them but they
often eat it all before the foxes appear.
Sometimes the foxes do appear at the same time as the cats and it is
quite amusing to watch them both circling the dish, dive in in turn to
grab something and eat it at a safe distance, on one occasion a badger
turned up at the same time, it just barged in, you couldn't see the fox
and cat for dust.
Maybe that is the answer, get a pet Badger, more interesting than a dog
or a cat

Bazza
Old 16-06-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Beryl Harwood
wrote

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!!

This is typical response from the irresponsible members of our society who
don't bother to control their pets.

You, clearly, have never had a cat, or you would discover what has been
said, you cannot keep them shut away like you can a dog, cats are, by
nature, animals which roam.

I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds

Then don't keep cats.

Why?

Cats are friendly animals, and are a joy to have around.

Old 16-06-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , BoyPete
wrote

Can't get your link to work Bazza. However, look at this........
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm

Why is it always the victim of the vandalism that has to pay when the
problem is the owner of the cat? Perhaps the solution is an ASBO?

So, how would you control foxes and squirrels, the first one is a pain in
the backside, the second is vermin.

Old 16-06-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , BoyPete
wrote

Can't get your link to work Bazza. However, look at this........
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm

Why is it always the victim of the vandalism that has to pay when the
problem is the owner of the cat? Perhaps the solution is an ASBO?

So, how would you control foxes and squirrels, the first one is a pain in
the backside, the second is vermin.

So are stray cats - on both counts!
Graham

Old 16-06-2007, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bazza wrote:
Peter James wrote:
Bazza wrote:

[...]

Sigh, why is mine ignored by cats, are Manchester cats deaf?

Old 16-06-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:13:05 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

snip

Cats are friendly animals, and are a joy to have around.

Feed rats and they are friendly as well.
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 16-06-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
wrote

You, clearly, have never had a cat,

You don't have to keep a cat to be on the receiving of their habits or
be a victim of the damage they do to a garden.

or you would discover what has been
said, you cannot keep them shut away like you can a dog,

The owner has to take responsibility to provide an adequate home so they
don't need to go into other peoples gardens to have a shit.

With pet ownership there is a responsibly that property should be large
enough for the animal being kept. If owners cannot provide for the
needs of their own cat on their own property they are an unfit person
to keep this kind of pet.

cats are, by
nature, animals which roam.

A responsible person would not keep an animal that they cannot control.
If the owner then attempts to excuse his own behaviour by saying that
their pet needs to roam uncontrolled then I have to ask what should be
classed as the vermin - the uncontrolled cat or the irresponsible and
antisocial owner of the beast?

I find it strange that some seemly intelligent people understand that
their cat needs a large territory and then object to drastic measures by
others to control the animal solely because of the cat owners negligence
in not providing an adequate environment for their choice of animal to
keep.

Old 16-06-2007, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
wrote

So, how would you control foxes and squirrels, the first one is a pain in
the backside, the second is vermin.

Good point - welcome to the chicken and wallpaper stripper or the beef
and warfarin camp.

In my garden cats are NO different to animals you class as vermin and
therefore should be treated in exactly the same way as you treat vermin.

I suppose there is a more humane way. Around my area, once a month urban
foxes are humanely trapped and taken to the countryside for release.
Next release Little Totton, Essex.

Old 17-06-2007, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Bazza wrote:
Peter James wrote:
Bazza wrote:

[...]

I think that where you site them is critically important. You also need
to move them around a little every 6 or 8 weeks. My rear garden has a
fence on three sides and the house on the fourth, thus making an
enclosed box. The sound from the cat scarer is nicely contained, and
not everyone has the same garden configuration. Depending on the make
of scarer you might have a 2 stage transmitter in there. One is audible
and at that setting would keep anything out of the garden, including me.
I set mine to in-audible, and as I say it works well. It is worth
perservering with it. Good luck.