Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommended viewing: BBC3 - Kill It, Cook It, Eat It returns this time the killing of infant animals as young as three week

Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jette writes

And a big pan of snow only gets you a little pan of water.

Yes, but there is probably HEAPS of it to be had just outside your
door....

the colour of urban snow, even when not actually yellow, is not such as to
inspire one to culinary excellence........

Hmmm...

Was OK to eat in london in the 50's.

Just so long as it fell in the morning or there was a good breeze.

--
Oz

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Oz wrote:
Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jette writes
And a big pan of snow only gets you a little pan of water.

Yes, but there is probably HEAPS of it to be had just outside your
door....

the colour of urban snow, even when not actually yellow, is not such as to
inspire one to culinary excellence........

Hmmm...

Was OK to eat in london in the 50's.

Way fewer cars in the 50s.

Just so long as it fell in the morning or there was a good breeze.

In cities snow often doesn't fall as snow - it turns to slush as soon
as it hits the ground. Cities - and towns - tend to be warmer than
the surrounding countryside. Then you get a heavy fall of snow on the
ring roads around and arterial routes into the city, blocking the
transport of supplies into the city.

--
Jette Goldie

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
http://wolfette.livejournal.com/
("reply to" is spamblocked - use the email addy in sig)
Old 10-01-2008, 06:53 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Jette writes
Oz wrote:
Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jette writes
And a big pan of snow only gets you a little pan of water.

Yes, but there is probably HEAPS of it to be had just outside your
door....

the colour of urban snow, even when not actually yellow, is not such as to
inspire one to culinary excellence........

Hmmm...

Was OK to eat in london in the 50's.

Way fewer cars in the 50s.

Yes, but WAY more coal fired fires and london smogs that you wouldn't
believe if you hadn't seen them. Nothing, but nothing, remotely compares
in britain today, anywhere.

Just so long as it fell in the morning or there was a good breeze.

In cities snow often doesn't fall as snow - it turns to slush as soon
as it hits the ground.

Yes, but I said snow!

Cities - and towns - tend to be warmer than
the surrounding countryside. Then you get a heavy fall of snow on the
ring roads around and arterial routes into the city, blocking the
transport of supplies into the city.

Its probably these main roads which will get cleared quickly.
Unfortunately not much help if you can't actually get to them.

--
Oz

Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jim Webster
writes

exactly, a big problem.
At least the terraced houses mostly still have their fireplaces

Jim Webster

So do a lot of ordinary houses around here. We have one but several
houses in our road still have. two. We have a multi fuel stove in the
fireplace, so we wouldn't be too bad.
Also have a gas / cylinder heater for emergencies

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

quite a lot I suspect. What would someone in the urban Northwest
terraced
house want with a gas BBQ?

cos they are advertised?

stand on the pavement with your BBQ?

Don't they have back yards,

yep, yards, not a lot of room

actually people even take them to public
parks and have a BBQ there.

Certainly not in this town, a picnic perhaps, but these are formal parks not
sprawling wildlife areas, we don't need them with countryside so close to
town centres

up here we can go for years without anyone suggesting a BBQ ;-))

has summer passed you bye again?

It is a brave, or consistantly lucky individual who decides to have a BBQ
more than twelve hours ahead ;-)

Tsk, and I thought you could read your weather.

yep, sometimes as far as six hours ahead ;-))

Jim Webster

Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Jim Webster
writes

exactly, a big problem.
At least the terraced houses mostly still have their fireplaces

Jim Webster

So do a lot of ordinary houses around here. We have one but several houses
in our road still have. two. We have a multi fuel stove in the fireplace,
so we wouldn't be too bad.
Also have a gas / cylinder heater for emergencies

yes, that extra provision always struck me as entirely sensible.

Jim Webster

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:47:14 -0000, Jim Webster wrote:

Also, people seem to hoard-buy things like bread rather than dried
foods.

actually in area where they are dependent on pumping stations to get
them water,

That's only a problem if they are daft enough to have one of those combi
boiler things and no 50 gallon cold water storage tank in the loft.

Lets see there is probably about 250 gallons of cold water storage here,
historical, mains water didn't arrive until about 20 years ago...

We have a fairly comprehensive set of backup cooking, lighting and some
power along with a stock of dried/tinned food. When the power goes or we
are snowed in we are fairly comfortably self contained for several days.
The food might get a bit basic/repetative after a while but it will be hot
and we will be warm. What more do you *really* need? Nothing.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommended viewing: BBC3 - Kill It, Cook It, Eat It returns this time the killing of infant animals as young as three weeks!

In article , Elaine Jones
wrote:
Quoting from message
posted on 9 Jan 2008 by Derek Moody
I would like to add:

In article , Oz
wrote:

Snares reputedly work well. Been in use for 10's of thousands of years.

I haven't used them for years. Used to get a few that way as a lad. Maybe
I should make some more but atm I don't have anywhere to set them...

Jones used to shoot them but with all the post Dunblane licensing regs
he's ceased his certificates - firearms and shotgun, too many knee
jerk regs.

I get the odd brace from shooting friends but tbh I prefer the ferreted ones
- easier on the teeth. It's about this time of year we usually go - I know
Steve is on holday right now ... I wonder who's looking after his ferrets...

Cheerio,

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/

Old 11-01-2008, 12:04 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jette
wrote:
Oz wrote:
Jim Webster writes

Also, people seem to hoard-buy things like bread rather than dried
foods.

So long as there's power, I've personally got a about two weeks of
food. Bread would be interesting - I could do lots of unleavened
bread type things (pancakes, blinis, tortillas) from scratch, and a
small amount of regular type bread (couple of bread making packs with
the yeast included). Tins, dried, frozen foods.

Hmmm.. Maybe I'be better check the flour stocks. Atm I've two or three
weeks worth of food to hand though the menus might get a little novel
towards the end.

No power and we're down to what I can cook on an old open fireplace -
and I don't have a large store of fuel, which means "use the frozen
stuff NOW and keep the tins for later", which means things will get
more limited.

Lots of ducks on the canal - very tame, should be easy to catch with a
bit of old bread for bait ;-)

Protein shouldn't be too hard but carbohydrates will be tricky. As usual,
in this crowded country, althogh I might find enough wild food for a couple
of people within a reasonable range there will be a few tens of thousands
of, mostly inept, competitors.

It could get messy.

Cheerio,

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/

Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster writes

Oz

actually people even take them to public
parks and have a BBQ there.

Certainly not in this town, a picnic perhaps, but these are formal parks not
sprawling wildlife areas, we don't need them with countryside so close to
town centres

Most farmers are somewhat unkeen on random bbq's happening on their
land. However a nice park is ideal, plenty of space for the kids and you
can invite lots of people. Its just a somewhat upmarket picnic after
all.

--
Oz

Old 11-01-2008, 07:15 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

Oz

actually people even take them to public
parks and have a BBQ there.

Certainly not in this town, a picnic perhaps, but these are formal parks
not
sprawling wildlife areas, we don't need them with countryside so close to
town centres

Most farmers are somewhat unkeen on random bbq's happening on their
land. However a nice park is ideal, plenty of space for the kids and you
can invite lots of people. Its just a somewhat upmarket picnic after
all.

as I say, we don't have that sort of park. What we do have is beach on three
sides of us (except where the docks are obviously ;-) ) so you will get
people drive out and drink a few beers round an drift wood fire.
Sometimes they might cook something as well

Jim Webster

Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
[...]

our house to too old to do the central heating/boiler thing, putting pipes
through the walls would be a nightmare, so we have a few storage heaters,
but as I suspect with you, the electric does go off reasonably often (three
times last wednesday night but thankfully only for short periods, so we are
geared up for it.
Our worst was six and a half days without electric (when there were the big
floods in Carlisle) which can be pretty depressing in January, but at least
we still had running water

Jim Webster

Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster writes

as I say, we don't have that sort of park.

You personally, or Barrow?

What we do have is beach on three
sides of us (except where the docks are obviously ;-) ) so you will get
people drive out and drink a few beers round an drift wood fire. Sometimes
they might cook something as well

There you go.
I expect there are beaches you can almost drive onto as well.

--
Oz

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

as I say, we don't have that sort of park.

You personally, or Barrow?

pretty much the entire county, we don't need that sort of park,

What we do have is beach on three
sides of us (except where the docks are obviously ;-) ) so you will get
people drive out and drink a few beers round an drift wood fire. Sometimes
they might cook something as well

There you go.
I expect there are beaches you can almost drive onto as well.

Seriously the only thing that stops you driving onto some beaches is the sea
walls and they leave access roads down for the cockle fishermen

It is not uncommon for someone to polish up a plough in spring by ploughing
an acre of beach, just to get a shine.

Jim Webster

Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster writes

Seriously the only thing that stops you driving onto some beaches is the sea
walls and they leave access roads down for the cockle fishermen

It is not uncommon for someone to polish up a plough in spring by ploughing
an acre of beach, just to get a shine.

See, plenty of opportunity for a bbq!

checkmate...

--