Old 20-02-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digital projectors? bit OT

On Feb 20, 8:45*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 19/2/08 19:34, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

I do talks for garden clubs but my slide projector is starting to show
its age and will need replacing. I was thinking that I ought to consider
changing over to a digital projector but there seem to be several types.
I seldom project onto a bigger than 4'X4' screen.
Also digital images, what's the sort of file size that's required for
reasonable quality? and will scanning my existing slides give good enough
quality? (I have 2000+ slides and the thought of having to retake them
all is a bit daunting!)
I would be grateful for any hints, tips or comments from people who have
changed over.

I had my first web site lesson this am and the tutor used one of these - a
new gadget IME! *I'll forward your query to him and ask him what he thinks.
He was doing a direct computer to projector job.

I have been watching other speakers who are using them and have decided
that a stand alone model would be best (one less thing to go wrong!) but
its realy the images that are giving me cause for concern, particuarly
ones which are a historical sequence telling a story, I mean you can go
back and retake a flower picture but you can not go back in time! if I
can scan some of those I think I may take the plunge

FWIW, I scanned photos (not slides) to retrace the life story of a
friend (see other post), on a bog standard HP scanner with bog
standard resolution. A few of the pics were in very poor condition,
some of them several decades old, creased, yellow and sellotaped, and
I had to photoshop them a bit to clean them up, but overall, the
effect was good. The screen was large, about 3 metres by 2 (rough
estimate), and the projector good enough to fill that screen from a
relatively short distance (an important quality in a projector). I
have to say most of the scanned photos looked quite good on the night.
I have been told by someone in the know that scanning negatives (and
slides?) would give better results than scanning printed copies -
which should be good news for your project if it is correct?

Cat(h)
Old 20-02-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article aeb8ae7f-96bd-4cbc-8675-
, says...
On Feb 20, 8:45*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 19/2/08 19:34, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those reassuring words!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 20-02-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
The IN24 projector you have Mike, what options do you have for supplying
the pictures? and which do you use?

I load mine from the computer. I load the photos onto the computer direct
from the camera card via a card reader or from the internet. That way, when
I see a picture I want, I 'save it as ...' and put it into my files then
download it later onto a PowerPoint display.

Now, reading the instructions .......... as in 'When all else fails'.... :-)
I see that "Other kinds of sources' for putting things on are on
www.infocus.com/service/howto which I have not read :-(( but may answer some
of your questions.

I have many many photos emailed to me which I can put onto the PPP but in a
nutshell, 'If they are on computer ....... they can go onto PPP'

I feel your biggest problem, or decision is, 'How to get your Slides onto
the Projector'? Depending on how many talks you do, depends on it's worth. I
would go down the new camera, slide copier, lap top, projector lane. I have
it all except the adapter for the slide copier to fit the new camera which I
have just picked up and not unpacked!!!!

Charlie, 'How long is a piece of string?' What do YOU want? When I was in
business I asked my customers what they wanted of me, not 'You will have
this like it or lump it' (That is why I am still being asked to carry on
working by my old customers!!!!!)

If I can help. ...... I am here.

Mike

At the moment its not what I want, its what I do not want! I do not want
to have to take a laptop with me, I have no objection to sorting the talk
on a computer but then want it either installed in the projector, on a
disk or on a flash drive
Old 20-02-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et,
says...
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:55:03 -0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Quiet tip, try to remember to edit out all but the relevant parts of the

Many thanks for all the detailed info, and especially your comments re
quality of scanning.

This is where I support Sacha's intimation that getting a lab to do it
will be far better. The gadgets that fix to a camera produce acceptable
results but how do you consistently and evenly illuminate the slides, what
colour temperature light source and so on. A proper lab should have
professional kit and will produce consistent results.

You may have to spend some time cleaning and checking your slides before
handing them over for scanning but this will be time well spent. You don't
want your digital images covered in dust spots....

You may have to send them away but I'd still look to see if there is a
photolab nearby that can do it. Talk to them, 2000 slides is a fair bit of
work and if they care they'll want to do it properly.

Sorry about the snipping! I do not have the same news reader on both
computers, this one snips automatically, the other does not. (well thats
my excuse anyway!)
I shall pursue slide copying options first wet day we get, been gardening
furiously to get ahead in the dry.
Old 20-02-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

If I can help. ...... I am here.

Mike

At the moment its not what I want, its what I do not want! I do not want
to have to take a laptop with me, I have no objection to sorting the talk
on a computer but then want it either installed in the projector, on a
disk or on a flash drive
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Sorry Charlie that's where I cannot help :-((

I have just had the projector out and there is no place to plug a CD or
Flash Drive in :-((

The input is computer or DVD only.

I have to admit that when I wanted a projector, I did ask my computer shop
for a 'Computer driven one' and thus that is what they came up with. I
suppose there are CD and Flash Drive driven ones and perhaps someone else
can help and recommend one here.

Sorry :-((

Going back to your original posting. Had you thought of just replacing your
existing Slide Projector and not upgrading to Electronics? You have
everything there for just a new replacement. No transfer of Slides or
anything.

Best wishes and good luck

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 20-02-2008, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Going back to your original posting. Had you thought of just replacing your
existing Slide Projector and not upgrading to Electronics? You have
everything there for just a new replacement. No transfer of Slides or
anything.

Yes its being considered, and it is the cheapest option, but there is
starting to be an issue with slide film and of course slides do deteriate
over time, then there is the camera, mine is even older than the
slide projector and I can already get better results with the digital
camera (mainly I admit to taking a lot more pictures rather than the
camera being any better!)
But where I have been to other peoples talks I have been impressed with
how much more versitile a digital projector is.

There are clearly a lot of variables to take account of before making a
move.
Old 20-02-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

There are clearly a lot of variables to take account of before making a
move.
--

There are indeed and good luck in your search :-))

Best wishes

Old 21-02-2008, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:04:35 -0000, Mike wrote:

There are clearly a lot of variables to take account of before making a
move.

There are indeed and good luck in your search :-))

I think the hardest one will be finding a projector that has card slot of
some sort, they might exist and be able to display various image formats.

I doubt very much he'll find one that can run PP presentations as that
would mean it essentially having a PC in side and a copy of Windows...
Though having said that I just bunged "projector card slot" into google
and up popped the Panasonic PT-P1SD. This has a slot and software to
convert a PP presentation into a series of jpegs that it can display from
an SD card. Several other makers also have machines with slots.

So projector and memory card is certainly an option but you'd still need a
PC with card reader/writer (maybe your camera) to generate the "slides" in
the first place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 21-02-2008, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et,
says...
[...]

Thanks for that, it had not occured to be to search that way.
Both my PC's have card reader slots and I have now found several
projectors with USB connections for flash memory plugs
Old 21-02-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
Going back to your original posting. Had you thought of just
replacing your existing Slide Projector and not upgrading to
Electronics? You have everything there for just a new replacement.
No transfer of Slides or anything.

Yes its being considered, and it is the cheapest option, but there is
starting to be an issue with slide film and of course slides do
deteriate over time,

Very little if they are stored properly. What makes you think electronic
media will have a better life storage? I am afraid that some of the quoted
lifetimes for CD and DVD roms may be a little optimistic!

If you want to go ahead and digitise slides, it might help to remember that
a typical slide (and it will depend on the film speed) is thought to be
equivalent to about 14Mp. So it might be thought that is the quality at
which you should scan the slides. Modern day scanners will do that, but
then you have to bear in mind that most projectors (unless you have a bob or
two to lash out!) project at less than 1Mp (1024 x 768)! Still, once the
slides are digitised at high resolution, you will be able to make the most
of projector resolution improvements.

then there is the camera, mine is even older
than the
slide projector and I can already get better results with the digital
camera (mainly I admit to taking a lot more pictures rather than the
camera being any better!)

And you can "tickle" the pictures with an editor to improve things. That is
very useful.

But where I have been to other peoples talks I have been impressed
with how much more versitile a digital projector is.

There are clearly a lot of variables to take account of before making
a move.

One variable you may not have thought about. You are probably used to
buying a spare lamp on occasion for your slide projector. Bear in mind that
a replacement bulb for a digital projector will cost perhaps 10 times as
much (£200 - 300 is not unusual)!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 21-02-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 20, 6:21*pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:55:36 -0800 (PST), "Cat(h)" wrote:
The projector will project whatever you throw at it - given suitable
hookable technology, laptop, dvd player, tv, or whatever else will
work with it - whether or not you have PPT.
But I do agree with you about PPT. *I use it for work all the time,
and have even used it on social occasions, including a "this is your
life" kind of effort for a friend's party. *It's a software package
well worth learning how to use.

You can get something very similar to PPT free by downloading and using Open
Office.www.openoffice.org/
--

Martin

Hear hear (or it is here here? I can never tell).
NOt only is it very similar, but you can actually open, work on and
save PPT docs with Open Office. I have both packages on my home PC,
and I actually find the OO equivalent of PPT a lot more intuitive to
use than the newer PPT version.
Now, I think I'll shut up, because we have veered way too far out of
gardening territory.

Cat(h)
Old 21-02-2008, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Now, I think I'll shut up, because we have veered way too far out of
gardening territory.

Cat(h)

I don't think so Cat(h), not when you realise that Charlie would want the
best definition in both colour and detail when he wants to present a Slide
Show. I feel that it is all very important and On Topic for Charlie to
update/upgrade and get the best out of his Gardening subject.

Old 22-02-2008, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:11:07 -0800 (PST), Cat(h) wrote:

Hear hear (or it is here here? I can never tell).

The first, as in listen to what this person is saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_hear

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 26-02-2008, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 22, 12:39*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:11:07 -0800 (PST), Cat(h) wrote:
Hear hear (or it is here here? *I can never tell).

The first, as in listen to what this person is saying.

Now, that's useful, and should help me remember.
Many thanks for that.
Cat(h)