Old 20-02-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digital projectors? bit OT

In article et,
says...
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:01:30 +0000, Adrian wrote:

- When you choose a projector, find our what the replacement bulbs
cost. They are not your standard car headlamp bulb - and some of the
prices may make your eyes water, careful choice of projector could
save you lots of money when it comes to replacing the bulb. (You'll
want to carry a spare bulb with you)

Aye, and fanatically follow the power up/down sequence particulary the
power down letting the thing cool properly before moving it. Oh and the
"replace bulb" message after x hours can probably be ignored until the
bulb actually fails or you notice a degraded image. Like printer
cartridges, the makers make their money on the bulbs with "fixed" life...

Pay attention to the specs as well, particulary the image brightness.
Comparing will probably be a PITA as I doubt there is a standard distance
used. So to make sensible comparisions you'll have to take the distance
into account with the inverse square rule. I'm not sure a spec saying x
lumens with a given image size is a reliable method, if the image size
varies you'd still have to correct it and you'd need to know the distance
for that image size.

- A stand-alone unit will mean you don't have to lug a PC round with
you - but if I was you, I'd make sure that I had 2 copies of the card
/ disk / whatever with your slides on... - call me paranoid !

For PC read laptop and PowerPoint (or non-windows equivalent) you can add
captions and/or explanatory/title slides in PP very easily. Does a
stand-alone unit take a PP presentation or just image files?

You might find a commercial service that will take a box of slides and
scan them for you - depends how much your time is worth to you vs what
they want to charge you.

Go for the very best scanning you can afford. Preferably with the basic
scanned immage in a "raw" format rather than anything compressed.
Compression throws away information, you orginal scanned image needs to be
the highest quality you can achieve. You then make your slides from that
to what ever the current systems require.

A decent commercial service I'd expect to produce a high resolution raw
image then a selection of different resolution compressed ones per slide.
Don't forget to take a backup copy or three of your scanned images, CD/DVD
media *does* degrade over time. Maybe take another copy every year. Media
is cheap, data is priceless.

What is "high resolution" these days I'm not sure but I'd expect something
over 2400 x 1800 and that's only 4M pixel, quality digital cameras these
days are 10M pixel or above (4800 x 3600 ish) and a colour depth of at
least 24 bits/pixel. For display 800 x 600 or 1024x768 jpeg format will be

Many thanks for all the detailed info, and especially your comments re
quality of scanning.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 20-02-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I am intrigued by the idea of a slide copier attached to the front of
ones camera but I suspect my Fuji finepix S5700 may not be up to the job,
son has a slide copier built into his scanner, but trying to do anything
in his room is all but impossible, it sounds as if I may be able to get a
whole talk copied as a batch so I will look into that.
I think someone has mentioned a back up disk as well!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

See if this is the thing you want :-))

http://specialtyphotographic.stores....slcounpro.html

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 20-02-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
I am hoping to avoid the lap top options (partly because I have not got
one and partly because I have seen people struggle to get the thing up
and running) I am intrigued by the idea of a slide copier attached to
the front of ones camera but I suspect my Fuji finepix S5700 may not be
up to the job, son has a slide copier built into his scanner, but
trying to do anything in his room is all but impossible, it sounds as
if I may be able to get a whole talk copied as a batch so I will look
into that. I think someone has mentioned a back up disk as well!

Whatever set up you end with, I think you would want to be able to
create power point presentations and load them on to your projector. You
may be able to create them at home on your PC then transfer them across,
so may not need the lap top + projector combination.

Powerpoint is an easy way to string a set of slide together for
presentation. You'll soon want to add to that by producing text slides,
eg the title of the talk, or throwing up the name of the garden you're
about to talk about, or whatever, or an 'end' slide that makes it doubly
cler that you have finished talking. All these things are really useful
without entering into the fancy stuff.
--
Kay
Old 20-02-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 20, 12:50*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
ET...

(Just about to get a new Camera so I can increase my scope as required.
Samsung GX-10. Hope to be able to plug it straight into the projector,
but
that is not important)

Hope that helps

Mike

Looks as if *http://www.infocus.com/Products/Proj...24Plus.aspx*is
the latest model

Mike
Thanks mike it looks good, I will nip up the road and look at one in the
flesh as they have it at PC world (may not buy it from them though!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie I see someone has mentioned Power Point Presentation coupled to the
Projector. This is what I use.

Not wishing my Grandmother to Suck Eggs, but Power Point is very versatile.
You can for example set a Slide Show up for the people to look at as they
are coming into your show/presentation/talk. This can have background music
if you wish and can keep rolling round. I had a roll round display at RAF
Cosford Parade last year, .... no music there were already people doing too
much talking.

When you come to do your talk, your presentation and slides are already
there a click of the remote or your mouse and the next slide comes up. If
you are giving your talk from your computer, then your mouse pointer on the
screen of the computer appears on the big screen from the projector. "What
you see on the computer they see on the screen"

If you stand up and operate the remote, you can use a Laser Pen to red dot
the big screen.

As someone said, your slides can be copied via a slide copier to your
digital camera and thus the computer.

I have a slide copier for an SLR with 42 mm thread, the new Samsung GX-10

I am hoping to avoid the lap top options (partly because I have not got
one and partly because I have seen people struggle to get the thing up
and running)

I think this may be a thing of the past. A few years ago, many of the
laptop/projector combinations required that the projector be turned on
first, so that the laptop would "find" it.
My experience now is that it no longer matters.
Also, some people who struggle don't understand that you have to
transfer the image from just your laptop to the main screen + your
laptop. This takes a few goes at the Function + F4 or F5 (depending
on the model, but it's printed on it, so easy to spot), until the
desired effect is arrived at. I have seen people panic because they
didn't know how to do that, and worried they had no image on either
their laptop or the large screen.
I use an old (ish) Toshiba and a newer Infocus projectors. Both very
good, but I would use the Tosh for larger rooms (greater luminosity,
and better ability to fill a large screen from a short distance - I am
sure there is a tech word for that, but I'm no techie) while the small
portable infocus is fine for smaller rooms and smaller groups.
If you give talks in hotels, many of them are equipped nowadays with a
built in projector you simply need to hook up to your laptop.

Not sure how you plan to operate *without* a laptop, still using the
digital projector? Directly plugged into your camera?

Good luck with the shopping!

Cat(h)

I am intrigued by the idea of a slide copier attached to the front of
ones camera but I suspect my Fuji finepix S5700 may not be up to the job,
son has a slide copier built into his scanner, but trying to do anything
in his room is all but impossible, it sounds as if I may be able to get a
whole talk copied as a batch so I will look into that.
I think someone has mentioned a back up disk as well!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

Old 20-02-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Powerpoint is an easy way to string a set of slide together for
presentation. You'll soon want to add to that by producing text slides, eg
the title of the talk, or throwing up the name of the garden you're about
to talk about, or whatever, or an 'end' slide that makes it doubly cler
that you have finished talking. All these things are really useful without
entering into the fancy stuff.
--
Kay

or as I said in an earlier thread, a series of pictures on PowerPoint
rolling round whilst the people are coming in. Or did you miss that?

Old 20-02-2008, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I am intrigued by the idea of a slide copier attached to the front of
ones camera but I suspect my Fuji finepix S5700 may not be up to the job,
son has a slide copier built into his scanner, but trying to do anything
in his room is all but impossible, it sounds as if I may be able to get a
whole talk copied as a batch so I will look into that.
I think someone has mentioned a back up disk as well!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

See if this is the thing you want :-))

http://specialtyphotographic.stores....slcounpro.html

Mike

It wont work for me as the lens is fixed not threaded, but at least I can
see how they work, thank you.
The IN24 projector you have Mike, what options do you have for supplying the
pictures? and which do you use?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-02-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
I am hoping to avoid the lap top options (partly because I have not got
one and partly because I have seen people struggle to get the thing up and
running) I am intrigued by the idea of a slide copier attached to the
[...]

Yes I agree, but I am not finding it easy to determine exactly what options
a particular projector has. I do have Power Point which up this moment in
time is unused!

Old 20-02-2008, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Powerpoint is an easy way to string a set of slide together for
presentation. You'll soon want to add to that by producing text slides,
eg the title of the talk, or throwing up the name of the garden you're
about to talk about, or whatever, or an 'end' slide that makes it doubly
cler that you have finished talking. All these things are really useful
without entering into the fancy stuff.
--
Kay

or as I said in an earlier thread, a series of pictures on PowerPoint
rolling round whilst the people are coming in. Or did you miss that?

Mike

No, I got that thanks, but its not something I do, mostly I have to wait
while the club attends to any business before I start!

Old 20-02-2008, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Just my 2 penneth, you can get slide scanners that take a batch of
slides and scan them. I got my projector use from ebay for 350 a
couple of years agao - a scary prospect not knowing how long the bulb
might last but it's been ok so far. The cheapest ones tend to be a
lower resolution so you can see the squares on the screen. I have a
high-res one and it's very good. Brightness and noise are the other
things to look at.
Laptops work fine- it's the users that are the problem.

Old 20-02-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

"K" wrote in message

Powerpoint is an easy way to string a set of slide together for
presentation. You'll soon want to add to that by producing text
slides, eg the title of the talk, or throwing up the name of the
garden you're about to talk about, or whatever, or an 'end' slide
that makes it doubly cler that you have finished talking. All these
things are really useful without entering into the fancy stuff.

Yes I agree, but I am not finding it easy to determine exactly what
options a particular projector has. I do have Power Point which up this
moment in time is unused!

Well, it will be - it's once you have a projector that it really comes
in to its own! It's like before you're on the internet - at first you
can't really see any use for it for the things that you do, but once you
have it, you find it really useful. I'm really saying, though you don't
use PP at the moment, don't shut it out as an option when you choose
your projector, because it will make life easier, even though you don't
see any possible use for it now.

--
Kay
Old 20-02-2008, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:55:03 -0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Quiet tip, try to remember to edit out all but the relevant parts of the

Many thanks for all the detailed info, and especially your comments re
quality of scanning.

This is where I support Sacha's intimation that getting a lab to do it
will be far better. The gadgets that fix to a camera produce acceptable
results but how do you consistently and evenly illuminate the slides, what
colour temperature light source and so on. A proper lab should have
professional kit and will produce consistent results.

You may have to spend some time cleaning and checking your slides before
handing them over for scanning but this will be time well spent. You don't
want your digital images covered in dust spots....

You may have to send them away but I'd still look to see if there is a
photolab nearby that can do it. Talk to them, 2000 slides is a fair bit of
work and if they care they'll want to do it properly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-02-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

It wont work for me as the lens is fixed not threaded, but at least I can
see how they work, thank you.

Would they clip onto yours? I don't know.

The IN24 projector you have Mike, what options do you have for supplying
the pictures? and which do you use?

I load mine from the computer. I load the photos onto the computer direct
from the camera card via a card reader or from the internet. That way, when
I see a picture I want, I 'save it as ...' and put it into my files then
download it later onto a PowerPoint display.

Now, reading the instructions .......... as in 'When all else fails'.... :-)
I see that "Other kinds of sources' for putting things on are on
www.infocus.com/service/howto which I have not read :-(( but may answer some
of your questions.

I have many many photos emailed to me which I can put onto the PPP but in a
nutshell, 'If they are on computer ....... they can go onto PPP'

I feel your biggest problem, or decision is, 'How to get your Slides onto
the Projector'? Depending on how many talks you do, depends on it's worth. I
would go down the new camera, slide copier, lap top, projector lane. I have
it all except the adapter for the slide copier to fit the new camera which I
have just picked up and not unpacked!!!!

Charlie, 'How long is a piece of string?' What do YOU want? When I was in
business I asked my customers what they wanted of me, not 'You will have
this like it or lump it' (That is why I am still being asked to carry on
working by my old customers!!!!!)

If I can help. ...... I am here.

Old 20-02-2008, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/2/08 14:37, in article , "Charlie

Mike's remark was to Kay who may have him kill filed.
--

How weak and silly of her. She will miss so much useful information

Kindest regards

Old 20-02-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 20, 3:38*pm, K wrote:
Charlie Pridham writes

"K" wrote in message

[...]

The projector will project whatever you throw at it - given suitable
hookable technology, laptop, dvd player, tv, or whatever else will
work with it - whether or not you have PPT.
But I do agree with you about PPT. I use it for work all the time,
and have even used it on social occasions, including a "this is your
life" kind of effort for a friend's party. It's a software package
well worth learning how to use.

Cat(h)