Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Reader/Poster

Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

How true, how true Mary in Leeds, I try to recall something from my
memory and it recedes, then later, when I am not trying to pursue it, up
it pops!

Isn't it amazing, Usually in the middle of the night, that elusive
author or actor or flower name, Latin name of course. wakes you up.
only to go again, just when you want to say it. Tip of the tongue stuff.
I see this is fast becoming off topic, sorry!

Bobbie.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bobbie" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

No, you NEED the Linnaean name if you're a gardener. Absolutely on-topic.

I keep a paper and pen on the bedside cabinet. Trouble is, I usually
remember those vital things when I'm sitting, erm, somewhere else.

At the moment I'm trying to prepare for our cruise, we've never done
anything like it before and have to make a packing list. I'm very efficient,
the list is on the pc.

Which isn't in the smallest room and which is switched off during the night.

Some new technology is needed - thought transference to electronic
recording. In the next two weeks, please.

Mary

Bobbie.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bobbie" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

I keep telling him that Mary, at 71 I think I have a right to protest such
thinking:-)

Indeed.
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

Oh I like that.

I've been saying it for such a long time that I think it might be original.
But I shan't charge royalties :-)

Bobbie, Grandma of two little beauties, Scottish by birth, living in
Dorset.

I can't keep track of the nationalities of our family, I do know that I was
born about two miles from here and haven't lived any further away. Spouse
didn't tell me that his grandmother was Irish until we'd tied the knot, I
thought I was continuing the tradition of being pure English.

Whatever that is :-)

Mary

Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bobbie" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

Ashamed to admit, I had to look that one up: Linnaean?
"A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below a subclass and
above an order".
Actually I was none the wiser but further reading, convinced me I was
vastly out of touch:
"Current systems of classifying forms of life descend from the thought
presented by the Greek philosopher Aristotle"
LOL.
Could we stick to common-or-garden names please.g

Bobbie

Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

8-)

My neighbour has four, ages from 22 to about 8, and she has done more
than her share. Of course two of them are now at the 'useful' age,
her grandson cleaned our gutters out last year, my wooden ladders are
too heavy for me now.
--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

It feels it sometimes.
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.
The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

I have to agree with you. I can remember things when I am not
*trying* to remember them, but remembering names 'on demand' is
hopeless.
--
Gordon H

Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes

I try to recall something from my memory and it recedes, then later,
when I am not trying to pursue it, up it pops!

I know, I know! Friends and family are fascinated by my recollection
of simple anecdotes from my past. Their eyes glaze over in
admiration...
--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 10:34, in article , "Bobbie"
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bobbie" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

"
Carl Linnaeus, also known as Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus, is often
called the Father of Taxonomy. His system for naming, ranking, and
classifying organisms is still in wide use today (with many changes). His
ideas on classification have influenced generations of biologists during and
after his own lifetime, even those opposed to the philosophical and
theological roots of his work."
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/linnaeus.html

Knowing the Latin names of plants is useful because then you can talk about
them with anyone anywhere in the world. For example, what we call mimosa is
Acacia but what the Americans call mimosa is Albizia, so confusion arises
easily. That said, some of the common names for plants have an enchantment
all of their own.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

Carl Linnaeus, also known as Carl von Linné or Carolus Linnaeus, is often
called the Father of Taxonomy. His system for naming, ranking, and
classifying organisms is still in wide use today (with many changes). His
ideas on classification have influenced generations of biologists during and
after his own lifetime, even those opposed to the philosophical and
theological roots of his work."
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/linnaeus.html

Knowing the Latin names of plants is useful because then you can talk about
them with anyone anywhere in the world. For example, what we call mimosa is
Acacia but what the Americans call mimosa is Albizia, so confusion arises
easily. That said, some of the common names for plants have an enchantment
all of their own.

My close lady friend, raised in a small village, has her own set of
names for wildflowers. It was only by asking around that I
discovered that her Mother-Die is Cow Parsley. On Wednesdays I am
usually among people who know wildflowers, but it is an uphill struggle
for me to memorise even the common names. I have a book to look up
their Latin classification.
--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

8-)

My neighbour has four, ages from 22 to about 8, and she has done more than
her share. Of course two of them are now at the 'useful' age, her
grandson cleaned our gutters out last year, my wooden ladders are too
heavy for me now.

We got rid of those years ago, aluminium is much lighter than wood, doesn't
rot if left outside and last for ever, seemingly.

Yes, big (ours are all several inches taller than us) grandsons can be very
useful. Even better is when they come round and ask if there are any jobs
they can do? Doesn't happen often but we do try to oblige :-)

Mary
--
Gordon H

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

My close lady friend, raised in a small village, has her own set of names
for wildflowers. It was only by asking around that I discovered that
her Mother-Die is Cow Parsley.

That was common here when I was a child.

On Wednesdays I am
usually among people who know wildflowers, but it is an uphill struggle
for me to memorise even the common names. I have a book to look up their
Latin classification.

Don't bother trying to remember, if you're going to remember you will, if
you're not you won't. Or it might come back in bed.

Surely at our age we have the confidence not to need to know?

Anything!

We can just nod sagely and say that with age comes wisdom - the wisdom to
keep quiet.

Mary

Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Broadback
writes

I try to recall something from my memory and it recedes, then later, when
I am not trying to pursue it, up it pops!

I know, I know! Friends and family are fascinated by my recollection of
simple anecdotes from my past. Their eyes glaze over in admiration...

Funny, I've experienced that too.

Mary

Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 11:12, in article , "Gordon H"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

[...]

Nothing wrong with looking it up in books - lots of people do that including
professionals!