Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Reader/Poster

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

I di buy some local honey, rather expensive at £3.50 per jar, but it
didn't have enough effect to make me pay that price again.

The expense depends on the size of the jar. £3.50 for 3/4 lb seems to be
more or less standard up here. But in shops 'local' honey is much more.
'Local' seems to mean anything within a 50 mile radius - and some of that, I
know, isn't always produced in that area.

I bought mine from the lady who keeps the bees, and sells at her door,
about 4 miles from here as the bee flies. It was a 1lb jar,
translating from the metric.

At his golden wedding celebration we had a choice of
red or white grape juice, but her other brother Eric and I managed to
sneak out for a pint. :-)

Oh! You little tinker you!!
At our golden wedding anything anyone wants will be available. Same at my
funeral.

At my funeral, my elder daughter will ensure that the wine flows freely.
She told me so when I said I wanted everyone to have a good time!
--
Gordon H
Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , AriesVal
writes

this was me a week or so ago at our garden table wearing my sun hat, but the
weather since then has been rain and more rain
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...nLappyLand.jpg

I thought that was your webcam at first! The one built-in to my
laptop gives a similar picture, but uglier.
You is a good looker, Val.
--
Gordon H
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

I di buy some local honey, rather expensive at £3.50 per jar, but it
didn't have enough effect to make me pay that price again.

The expense depends on the size of the jar. £3.50 for 3/4 lb seems to be
more or less standard up here. But in shops 'local' honey is much more.
'Local' seems to mean anything within a 50 mile radius - and some of that,
know, isn't always produced in that area.

I bought mine from the lady who keeps the bees, and sells at her door,
about 4 miles from here as the bee flies. It was a 1lb jar, translating
from the metric.

454g. That's not bad then.

At his golden wedding celebration we had a choice of
red or white grape juice, but her other brother Eric and I managed to
sneak out for a pint. :-)

Oh! You little tinker you!!
At our golden wedding anything anyone wants will be available. Same at my
funeral.

At my funeral, my elder daughter will ensure that the wine flows freely.
She told me so when I said I wanted everyone to have a good time!

Good for her. Good for you. Might as well be remembered happily :-)

Mary
--
Gordon H

Old 11-07-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 2:17 pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:50:20 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:55 am, AriesVal
wrote:
[14 quoted lines suppressed]

Val, you take a great photo, you also have a lovely tan, mine is fake
alas as I have a problem with sun on my skin and I wear a total sun
block. I wish I could take a photo of myself in the garden and post
it but I don't know how to focus the thing, where is my husband when I
need him???

Judith

Edward!! Judith needs you
--
A truly happy person is one
who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.http://valerie.aries.googlepages.com/ariesval

lol I think he's gone deaf Val, he's been gone for hours and his phone
is off, just wait until he gets home :-)

Judith
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

I bought mine from the lady who keeps the bees, and sells at her door,
about 4 miles from here as the bee flies. It was a 1lb jar, translating
from the metric.

454g. That's not bad then.

If I buy honey I normally get Rowse's set honey at under £2 a jar.
I haven't noticed any difference with the local stuff except the price.

--
Gordon H

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , AriesVal
writes
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:20:00 +0100, Gordon H wrote:
In message , AriesVal
writes
[4 quoted lines suppressed]

([And one informative line added]

I thought that was your webcam at first! The one built-in to my
laptop gives a similar picture, but uglier.
You is a good looker, Val.

thank you kind sir I do have a webcam but not a built in one but I don't
often use it - too fiddly to clip on to my laptop and keep it staying there

This webcam S/W has some fun special effects to distort your face or add
falling snow, etc. I must send my daughter a video message!
--
Gordon H
Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

I bought mine from the lady who keeps the bees, and sells at her door,
about 4 miles from here as the bee flies. It was a 1lb jar,
translating
from the metric.

454g. That's not bad then.

If I buy honey I normally get Rowse's set honey at under £2 a jar.
I haven't noticed any difference with the local stuff except the price.

As we age our senses diminish ...

There's nothing wrong with Rowse's except that it's imported and blended,
it's always the same. It's 'what the customer wants'. Local honey should
vary from season to season and year to year because of different forage.

Mary
--
Gordon H

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

If I buy honey I normally get Rowse's set honey at under £2 a jar.
I haven't noticed any difference with the local stuff except the price.

As we age our senses diminish ...

There's nothing wrong with Rowse's except that it's imported and blended,
it's always the same. It's 'what the customer wants'. Local honey should
vary from season to season and year to year because of different forage.

Mary

I know that Terry has his hives at a place where particular pollen is
within easy reach, I think it is Rape Seed.
--
Gordon H
Old 12-07-2008, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Did you dwile your flonk then? When wos the last time you was up the
sitee?

Naw, missus, yew dew flonk dwoiles, not dwile flonks. Dwoiles are cl'ths
(Ask Richard B - it's sim'ler in Dutch) and the word caaum oover with
th' Saaxons. Hin't bi up the sittee for more'n a sennoight.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Thet yew hed, missus.

That is a Yarmouth accent Rusty!!! what about a Beccles one?

Thet it hin't, and Beccles is in furrin. Oi dun't dew furrin.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Eerm... I had a Panama on today when we went out this p.m. I did take
it off when ever I saw another person though :-)

Oi've a Panama tew. Oi tearkes it orf only ewt of perliteness.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

That's my attitude towards "alternative medicine" - try it by all means,
but keep taking the tablets.

:-)

I di buy some local honey, rather expensive at £3.50 per jar, but it
didn't have enough effect to make me pay that price again.

The expense depends on the size of the jar. £3.50 for 3/4 lb seems to be
more or less standard up here. But in shops 'local' honey is much more.
'Local' seems to mean anything within a 50 mile radius - and some of
that, I
know, isn't always produced in that area.

I bought some 2 lb jars of honey for £2 each - not local - blended stuff
which was supposed to be runny hunny, but had set. Made some excellent
mead...

Terry sells his at about £1.50 to friends, and £1.75 to shops, and all
proceeds go to the Methodist church where he is a lay preacher and a very
central figure. At his golden wedding celebration we had a choice of
red or white grape juice, but her other brother Eric and I managed to
sneak out for a pint. :-)

Oh! You little tinker you!!

Teetotalitarianism is IMO an exercise in being holier than the founder
of the religion, whose first miracle was to turn water into wine...

At our golden wedding anything anyone wants will be available. Same at my
funeral.

Ar. Not being married, my golden weeding is well over the horizon, but
there should be ample stocks of sloe gin, home-made wines, etc.

I have a particularly pleasant one I'm gargling with at present: it
started life as ginger beer, and I re-used the ginger (fresh, minced)
and the yeast in the bottom of the demijohn, throwing in washings of jam
and marmalade jars, odd syrups from tinned or bottled fruit, simmered
orange peel, etc., and when it was done, I added it to the sloes from
which I'd decanted two gallons of sloe gi^h^h^h white rum. I let that
steep for six months, and while it would win no prizes for its clarity,
it is to die for.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Miller thingy??? :-) Going to bed, there is a lulu of a storm, it was
bound to happen after the heat of the day, sigh, that means my
petunias, grown from seed by me I might add, will be limp tomorrow!

Sounds like painful, a limp tomorrow...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Val, you take a great photo, you also have a lovely tan, mine is fake
alas as I have a problem with sun on my skin and I wear a total sun
block. I wish I could take a photo of myself in the garden and post
it but I don't know how to focus the thing, where is my husband when I
need him???

Evidently focussing on something else?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

If I buy honey I normally get Rowse's set honey at under £2 a jar.
I haven't noticed any difference with the local stuff except the price.

As we age our senses diminish ...

There's nothing wrong with Rowse's except that it's imported and blended,
it's always the same. It's 'what the customer wants'. Local honey should
vary from season to season and year to year because of different forage.

Mary

I know that Terry has his hives at a place where particular pollen is
within easy reach, I think it is Rape Seed.

Pollen isn't necessary for honey, honey is made from nectar.

Oil seed rape is an excellent source of nectar when it's flowering, it
produces a lot, it also produces a lot of pollen to feed the larvae and it
makes a good light honey.

There are management problems associated with OSR but you do get a lot of
honey from it.

Mary