Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Reader/Poster

On Jul 9, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:28, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:16 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:06, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Jul 9, 6:12 pm, Judith in France
wrote:
On Jul 8, 8:08 pm, Gordon H wrote:

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.
I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!
--
Gordon H

Welcome Gordon to what I think is one of the nicest group on usenet,
you should enjoy some of the garden stuff on here, there are some real
experts, not me I hasten to add even though I have my own personal urg
badge with golden slippers embroidered thereon, no doubt someone will
fill you in on how I got that :-) . There is an expert here for just
about anything you want to know and advice is given freely and in a
very friendly manner, though watch out for that Rusty, he comes from
Norfolk lol

Judith

Gordon I don't think you have seen my welcome to you to urg, I hope
you will keep on posting on gardening stuff, most of us are friends of
long standing here and I know they will make you welcome. I wonder if
Google posted my original message, come in Sacha or Mary or Rusty et
al?

Judith

Yes, I have it. Some posts have skipped for me but I saw that one.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Oh? I'm sure Gordon would have had the good manners to acknowledge it
if he had seen it, don't you?

Judith

Of course. But wait a while. Things do appear at different times on
different servers. Sometimes I see answers to questions when I haven't seen
the questions. Anyhow, I'm sure Gordon knows by now that anyone asking for
gardening help is welcome here. I wonder if he has gold slippers. ;-))
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Well, he can always borrow mine but I'm sure he has bigger feet than
me. BTW I have forsaken the gold mules, I now wear yellow clogs,
made of plastic or leather I know not which, I bought them in a market
at Grenoble for very little money, although I stgill have a penchant
for Louis heels, Jaeger skirt etc. LOL

Judith
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 22:59, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 9, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:28, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:16 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:06, in article
, "Judith
in

wrote:
On Jul 8, 8:08 pm, Gordon H wrote:

[...]

Oh lor' how our differences make us interesting! I've done my time at the
dressed to kill coalface and am now very content not to have to go anywhere
near heels and a skirt. Next week - family celebration - I have to don
both, blast it. Trousers might still win out, however!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes
Gordon H wrote:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Oh, never! I enjoy my grandchildren - all 14 of them.

I just don't see enough of the youngest, who thus far has spent half
of his life in Goa...

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Mine range from 26 (this coming weekend) to 2 1/2.

--
AnneJ
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 11:21 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:59, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:28, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:16 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 22:06, in article
, "Judith
in

wrote:
On Jul 8, 8:08 pm, Gordon H wrote:

[...]

No, they won't missus, it's a frock for that do!!!!!

Judith
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes
Gordon H wrote:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Oh, never! I enjoy my grandchildren - all 14 of them.

I enjoy them but when you've had five of your own, fostered others and then
they start coming again I still say that the novelty wears off. There's
nothing new ...

I just don't see enough of the youngest, who thus far has spent half
of his life in Goa...

Yes, our Welsh one isn't seen much - but we had a 21yr old living with us
for six months and we weren't sorry when we regained our privacy. We deserve
our freedom!

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Mine range from 26 (this coming weekend) to 2 1/2.

We're approaching the ancient state!

Mary

--
AnneJ

Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Judith in France" wrote in message
If anyone does Bobbie, Mary will know, she is an expert on chickens.

She's not. She just has bumbling experience :-)
Mary

An Apiarist as well, Eh?

Well I didn't mean that, I've learned poultry keeping on the hoof.

But yes, for only twenty five years though. A beginner!.

Mary

Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I saw it but can't find it now.

Still early in the morning though, for me.

Mary

Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 8:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 10/7/08 00:07, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 9, 11:21 pm, Sacha wrote:

snip

Oh lor' how our differences make us interesting! I've done my time at the
dressed to kill coalface and am now very content not to have to go anywhere
near heels and a skirt. Next week - family celebration - I have to don
both, blast it. Trousers might still win out, however!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

No, they won't missus, it's a frock for that do!!!!!

Judith

I don't think I own one!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Best you go and get one then!!!!

Judith
Old 10-07-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 8:45 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

[...]

LOL It's early in the morning for me until lunchtime. Thanks for
your email, I will reply as soon as I can stop the "G" key from
sticking LOL

Judith

Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 6:46 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Oh that's good, we won't have to fill you in then. It's a pity you
haven't posted before as you too have some gardening knowledge, I'm
sure we will all benefit from, what about posting posting the link to
your garden that's on the other group that you and I post to? Posters
here would enjouy that, they love seeing new gardens, voyers some of
them lol

Ar. Us loikes peeping at Jezebels.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Behave Rusty, wot's the weather like in dear old Norfolk?

Judith
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Judith in France" wrote in message
If anyone does Bobbie, Mary will know, she is an expert on chickens.

She's not. She just has bumbling experience :-)
Mary

An Apiarist as well, Eh?

Well I didn't mean that, I've learned poultry keeping on the hoof.

But yes, for only twenty five years though. A beginner!.

Mary

I was just punning on "Bumbling". :-)
My friend Mavis's brother keeps bees, but unfortunately they live on the
East coast. If they were local I would try his honey as a relief
for my hay fever.
--
Gordon H
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes
wrote:

Welcome Gordon to what I think is one of the nicest group on usenet,
you should enjoy some of the garden stuff on here, there are some real
experts, not me I hasten to add even though I have my own personal urg
badge with golden slippers embroidered thereon, no doubt someone will
fill you in on how I got that :-) . There is an expert here for just
about anything you want to know and advice is given freely and in a
very friendly manner, though watch out for that Rusty, he comes from
Norfolk lol

Judith

Gordon I don't think you have seen my welcome to you to urg, I hope
you will keep on posting on gardening stuff, most of us are friends of
long standing here and I know they will make you welcome. I wonder if
Google posted my original message, come in Sacha or Mary or Rusty et
al?

I did see your welcome, thank you.
--
Gordon H
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Judith in France" wrote in message
If anyone does Bobbie, Mary will know, she is an expert on chickens.

She's not. She just has bumbling experience :-)
Mary

An Apiarist as well, Eh?

Well I didn't mean that, I've learned poultry keeping on the hoof.

But yes, for only twenty five years though. A beginner!.

Mary

I was just punning on "Bumbling". :-)

I realise. Bumble bees are very different from honey bees and they're not
kept for honey.

My friend Mavis's brother keeps bees, but unfortunately they live on the
East coast. If they were local I would try his honey as a relief for
my hay fever.

It's an old beekeepers' tale. Good for the bekeeper's pocket. But if a
sufferer thinks it works it might :-)

Mary