Old 31-12-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Professional Urban Fox Control

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message
\snip\
I had most of my chickens once killed by a fox in the day, when I got
home
from work it was still killing
It ran away when I saw it, leaving 22 dead and the end of my project.

Yes, anyone who can put foxes out is good.

I lost three batches of hens to the fox in quick succession - the
reason was that I had not made their run properly fox-proof and thus
it was my fault and not the fox's, who was just doing what came
natural to him/her. If I want to keep animals for my benefit I must
be prepared to secure them from predators.

I thought I had with a six foot fence, and shutting them up at dusk. I
cannot keep my hens free range now, they have to be in huts and runs with
concrete slabs underneath, two inch weldmesh and a roof on the run because
of firking daytime foxes.
Best not start me on the subject of foxes. A poultry keeper might view it
differently from lloyd.
As someone who keeps chickens, the only good fox is a dead one.

Old 31-12-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:22:51 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:59:32 +0000, lloyd wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:10:57 -0500, Steve Barron
wrote:

information, my website is www.pestgo4u.com

Scam city for this chap, knew he was a jerk!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=SE28+0WQ&meta=

One address and 1001 things going on, I smell something worse than a
fox here.

PO Box 19184 London SE28 0WQ GB

Well the foxy site looked very unproff for a start. As far as free
range hens/ducks go ..... the most time they are at risk is in the
daylight, when the there are cubs to feed in the spring. Any night of
the year fowl should be shut in after they have gone to roost.
Common sense methinks.

Of course, it's sensible to do that, I always do, but when they come
during
the day to kill all your poultry is a whole different kettle of fish.

How inconvenient. If the animals were looked after it would not matter
what time the fox or stray dog came.

They don't come to kill your poultry they look for food and that's no
crime. If you're silly enough to leave it out unguarded how can you
blame the poor beast!

I have no problem with foxes passing through my garden at night and trying
to get in to my chickens. That is not possible as they are shut up safely
at dusk. I DO have issues when they come in the day, though and daytime
foxes that kill my hens are likely to be ex-foxes here, and pretty soon
too.
One of them completely wiped out an 8 year project I was doing, trying to
breed a gold splashed chicken laying a dark brown egg.

Sounds like you never really learned from the experience which is a
shame.

You can imagine my feelings when the fox was still there, killing. If I'd
had a gun in my hand, when the barsteward turned to look at me as it ran
off, I would have blasted it's head clean off. In temper.

You sound like you get a warped pleasure from the killing. How nice.

I cannot keep free range chickens any more. They have to be in huts and
runs, with concrete floors and roofs on, because of the firkin things.

Imagine how easy your life could be if you went the whole hog and
shoved the poor things in to small cages. You need to get a life love.

That's life, that's called looking after them. If you are incapable of
looking after the animals on free range you should maybe take up
knitting instead, though do be careful of the sharp needles.

I could do with a jumper and bobble hat if it helps.

Plonk

Old 31-12-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Dec, 14:26, lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 04:26:00 -0800 (PST), Compo in Caithness

wrote:
On 28 Dec, 17:10, Steve Barron Steve.Barron.
wrote:
\snip\ * foxes \snip\ steal our tools *\snip
--
Steve Barron

I opened our back door in the half-light this morning and there was
mrs Fox plodding past the shed with my spade on her shoulder. *"Where
do you think you are going with my spade?" I called after her "Just
off to dig a few slugs for breakfast," she replied "I'll bring the
spade back when I've finished with it."

LOL please tell us there are more chapters to this story? I like it

\snip\

Well Lloyd, Mrs fox must have been true to her word - my spade was
sitting in its rightful place in the [former] chicken shed when I
returned from work this evening. Her relatives made short work of the
hens some time ago and we agreed that in return for not tormenting her
by parading fully protected hens in front of her, she would eat plenty
of my slugs. To this end we stopped keeping hens. We have a large
pile of branches, twigs and assorted weeds/other green things up by
the entrance to our mini-wood and she may have her home within that
mound. If I see her again I shall pass on your regards to her :-)

By the way - I work in a veterinary disease surveillance centre but
have no desire to persecute foxes; no matter what they may (or may
not) carry in the way of disease. After all, it is we humans that
carry, and pass on, many of the worst diseases known.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness
Old 31-12-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:21:09 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message
\snip\
I had most of my chickens once killed by a fox in the day, when I got
home
from work it was still killing
It ran away when I saw it, leaving 22 dead and the end of my project.

Yes, anyone who can put foxes out is good.

I lost three batches of hens to the fox in quick succession - the
reason was that I had not made their run properly fox-proof and thus
it was my fault and not the fox's, who was just doing what came
natural to him/her. If I want to keep animals for my benefit I must
be prepared to secure them from predators.

I thought I had with a six foot fence, and shutting them up at dusk. I
cannot keep my hens free range now,

Why, thousands do. A six foot fence with a single electric wire at the
base will keep them at bay. If you're going to do a job do it properly
or not at all.

they have to be in huts and runs with
concrete slabs underneath, two inch weldmesh and a roof on the run because
of firking daytime foxes.

Rubbish. You do it because it suits your lazy manner.

Best not start me on the subject of foxes. A poultry keeper might view it
differently from lloyd.

Depends if they have any respect for themselves and others.

As someone who keeps chickens, the only good fox is a dead one.

That's a very sad reflection on your personality.
Old 31-12-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:27:16 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That's a no then?

Gloves?

Old 31-12-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Indeed, as do pigeons, cats, dogs, squirrels, rats, mice, voles in
fact just about anything that ever lived. Luckily most of us wash our
hands and foods regularly. Such a simple solution.

I almost treated myself to some rescue hens last month, made all the
plans and eventually decided I could not provide them with the care or
attention they need and deserve. I shall give the starting costs to a
hen rescue centre with great blessing. Shame as I was really looking
forward to proper eggs.

Old 31-12-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:18:18 -0700, "graham" wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

No, used my brain. Most of us have one, though too few use it.
Old 31-12-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:18:18 -0700, "graham" wrote:

. ..

wrote:
[...]

I bet you had to go and lie down for a bit after that!

Most of us have one, though too few use it.

So obvious in your case!

Old 31-12-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:10:57 -0500, Steve Barron
wrote:

Love them or hate them, foxes cause not only damage to our lawns and
steal our tools, but are capable of transmitting diseases via their
treacle-like faeces and strong odour urine such as leptospirosis (weil's
disease) and toxocaris, not to mention the internal & external parasites
they will almost definately be carrying. Under The Abandonement Act
1960, it is illegal to release foxes once trapped; therefore, the only
humane and legal solution is to safely dispatch them. I am professional
Urban Fox Controller working in North & East London areas, spending most
of my time in schools, colleges, commercial and residential properties.
I am often called in by gardeners due to the constant digging up of
lawns and flower beds and the unpleasant fouling left behind. for more
information, my website is www.pestgo4u.com

A domestic dog has the same chance of contracting leptospirosis as a
fox .. urban or otherwise. So do we shoot stray dogs ?

Mike P

No we pay vets to inject them to protect them.

Bill.

Old 31-12-2009, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:27:25 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:03:36 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is true, they can get it from rats unless you inoculate your
own
dogs against it, which you should as a responsible owner.
When was the last time you saw a stray dog? Unless it accidently
escaped
from its home.

As a poultry keeper, I have no problem with the post although digging up
flower beds is not a problem, killing my chickens is, especially during
the
day.

A dog, fence, lama and that other furry thing are excellent guards for
free range animals. If your animals are being killed you're neglecting
their welfare, blaming foxes is just copping out.

I had most of my chickens once killed by a fox in the day, when I got
home
from work it was still killing
It ran away when I saw it, leaving 22 dead and the end of my project.

Hopefully you learned a little about how chickens should not be looked
after, and now do it properly!

Yes, anyone who can put foxes out is good.

You blame the fox for your incompetence? If you cannot look after your
chickens properly perhaps you should question keeping them, although
it sounds like they are expected to keep themselves in your world!

Oh, do get real, lloyd!
I've kept chickens for 30 years- your experience with them is exactly
what?

That's irrelevant. If the chickens were looked after properly there
would be no issue.

Foxes are a perfect nuisance for poultry keepers.

Only those who don't know how to look after chickens, or worse don't
care how they look after them.

I'm afraid if they come
here in the day after my poultry they get a piece of lead in their ear.

That's your choice, but don't dress it up like you're doing the world
a favour by wantonly killing an animal that is only struggling to
survive.

If a fox was struggling to survive it might take just the one chicken,
instead , it will kill pretty well all the chickens in a killing frenzy.
Not the act of a starving animal.

Bill

Old 31-12-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:39:07 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:03:36 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Only if we leave the pantry door open.

Mankind can hardly complain about the antics of another animal and
claim the moral high ground.

Old 31-12-2009, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" If a fox was struggling to survive it might take just the one chicken,
instead , it will kill pretty well all the chickens in a killing frenzy.
Not the act of a starving animal.

Only if we leave the pantry door open.

Mankind can hardly complain about the antics of another animal and
claim the moral high ground.

Lloyd,

You have prolonged this thread with ludicrous arguments and a distorted
point of view.

Your response to my statement above bears no relation to the content of my
remarks.

It has been a somewhat amusing diversion.

Time for you to go to bed now.

Bill

Old 31-12-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:53:24 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

" If a fox was struggling to survive it might take just the one chicken,
instead , it will kill pretty well all the chickens in a killing frenzy.
Not the act of a starving animal.

Only if we leave the pantry door open.

Mankind can hardly complain about the antics of another animal and
claim the moral high ground.

Lloyd,

You have prolonged this thread with ludicrous arguments and a distorted
point of view.

Only if viewed with a warped mind and a crooked eye. A fox is no more
a pest than a village idiot who thinks it is, neither deserve to be
killed just because they are what they are.

Your response to my statement above bears no relation to the content of my
remarks.

That's because your ignorance does not allow you to comprehend the
reply. None so blind as the idiot who refuses to see.

It has been a somewhat amusing diversion.

You don't seem to be having much fun.

Time for you to go to bed now.

Or what, I should be shot too?

You need to wake up and realise you're nothing but a tick on the ass
of humanity like the rest of us, instead of getting ideas above your
station and telling nature how she should run her world.