Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a grey day...

On 2010-01-03 12:52:03 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Mainly lovely here in sunny Felixstowe :-)

Every half hour or so a cloud passes over and dumps snow or hail, but
then it clears again.
Generally white around except where the sunshine has cleared patches.

Last time I looked the outside temperature was still below 2C.

Waiting for transport to arrive before we go out for a walk.

Cheers

Dave R

You rotten lot! ;-)) Obviously, Landscove has been singled out for
'the treatment' today! Ah well, we had our glory when others were
being snowed and rained upon.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:14:31 -0000, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

snip interesting stuff :-)

A perfect winter's day.....
Gopher .... I know my place!

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 12:52:03 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I just guess that one of the men you have had a go at on here is a weather
man ;-)

Kindest regards from a sunny Isle of Wight

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-01-03 12:52:03 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

If it makes you feel better Sacha, we had a severe frost first thing
this morning.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha writes
On 2010-01-03 12:52:03 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I don't want anyone else to suffer, honest! It's clearing a little
to the west now, so we have hopes of tomorrow being a bit more
cheerful. Ray has just watched the weather forecast and says they're
giving out -16C for the Highlands tonight. That makes our weather look
positively balmy. I don't mind the cold if it's dry but I do hate that
grey ceiling that sits just over our heads.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The whole
landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here and
there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out for lunch
today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said she didn't
think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice everywhere. It
was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so it looks like
another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly. Tsk! ;-)

Beautiful sunshine here today, actually for the past few days. One black
cloud today just made it's way over but nothing came of it.
Cold though picking the sprouts for dinner, but at least they weren't frozen
on the stalk this time. Everything is still frozen where the sun hasn't been
and the remaining puddles at the sides of the roads are frozen solid too.
The roads have really suffered this time here (Surrey), virtually all have
sections breaking up and large potholes everywhere, beside all the drains
that have dropped or subsided.
The Gov't don't want people driving 4x4s, if they don't improve the roads
and spend serious money totally resurfacing them, we will all find them a
necessity just to get around.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha - wrote:
-
....*Ray has just watched the weather forecast and says they're
giving out -16C for the Highlands tonight. *That makes our weather look
positively balmy. *I don't mind the cold if it's dry but I do hate that
grey ceiling that sits just over our heads.

That 'grey ceiling' kept any frost away last night (here anyway) and
by the time the forecasters on BBC 'Breakfast' were quoting a max of
3C for the South West, it had already exceeded that. We had a bit of
very light drizzle around 10.30 am, but since then we've had broken
cloud. I'll be very happy for thick cloud cover over night - it keeps
the freezing temperatures away, so no scraping ice off the windscreen
first thing in the morning.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
snip interesting stuff :-)

A perfect winter's day.....
Gopher .... I know my place!

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I wish! Mine desperately needs a hair cut, but it's buried under a layer of
snow and more is falling. What's the betting that David, 2 miles away in
Felixstowe proper, is snow free?

--
Kathy

Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The whole
landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here and
there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out for
lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said she
didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly. Tsk!
;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Mainly lovely here in sunny Felixstowe :-)

Told You! What a difference 15 foot makes!

--
Kathy

Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 15:07:06 +0000, Dave Poole said:

Sacha - wrote:
-
....*Ray has just watched the weather forecast and says they're
giving out -16C for the Highlands tonight. *That makes our weather look
positively balmy. *I don't mind the cold if it's dry but I do hate that
grey ceiling that sits just over our heads.

That 'grey ceiling' kept any frost away last night (here anyway) and
by the time the forecasters on BBC 'Breakfast' were quoting a max of
3C for the South West, it had already exceeded that. We had a bit of
very light drizzle around 10.30 am, but since then we've had broken
cloud. I'll be very happy for thick cloud cover over night - it keeps
the freezing temperatures away, so no scraping ice off the windscreen
first thing in the morning.

Unfortunately, we had the ice, too - or perhaps it just stayed
overnight. It's not as cold as it was, though.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud to
the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer seed
feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Sparrows
polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing speed and Great,
Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.

We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good value,
since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits are.

Diligently hoovering up at ground level the woodpigeons and pheasants
are ably assisted by the odd dunnock and any sparrow and chaffy
overflow. The bully boy starlings appear to be observing a New Year
resolution of better behaviour. And I haven't seen so many male
blackbirds for a long time - about 10 at any one time;

Apparently we get a big winter influx of migrant blackbirds

--
Kay
Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
The Gov't don't want people driving 4x4s, if they don't improve the
roads and spend serious money totally resurfacing them, we will all
find them a necessity just to get around.

The Gov't are directly responsible only for the motorways and a few
trunk roads. All the rest are the responsibility of the local
authorities.
--
Kay
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote ...
Bob Hobden writes
The Gov't don't want people driving 4x4s, if they don't improve the roads
and spend serious money totally resurfacing them, we will all find them a
necessity just to get around.

The Gov't are directly responsible only for the motorways and a few trunk
roads. All the rest are the responsibility of the local authorities.

If this thieving Govn't didn't divert the money that our Councils here are
supposed to get from the Tax Revenue then we might have the money to do
something about our roads. The situation here is so bad now that only
central government money will change the situation, virtually ever road in
Surrey needs complete resurfacing including ones that have only been
resurfaced in the last two years like Ashford (Middx) main road! The main
A30 between Staines and Bedfont is like a third world road.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud to
the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer seed
feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Sparrows
polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing speed and Great,
Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.

We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good value,
since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits are.

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors. And whatever likes Niger
seeds isn't bothering with us much atm.

Diligently hoovering up at ground level the woodpigeons and pheasants
are ably assisted by the odd dunnock and any sparrow and chaffy
overflow. The bully boy starlings appear to be observing a New Year
resolution of better behaviour. And I haven't seen so many male
blackbirds for a long time - about 10 at any one time;

Apparently we get a big winter influx of migrant blackbirds

I've actually seen a pair thinking about courtship just this morning.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud
to the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer
seed feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches,
Sparrows polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing
speed and Great, Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.

We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good value,
since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits are.

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors.

That's interesting - sounds as if they're working from the north
downwards. We've had them in the area for years and in the garden for at
least 10 years. The seem so magical - you tend not to notice them until
suddenly you are in the middle of a flock of thirty, and there they are,
all around you, twittering away to each other, a matter of feet way from
you.

--
Kay

Grey day ;-( Sacha United Kingdom 12 05-08-2013 10:43 AM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
What a grey day... Sacha United Kingdom 83 26-02-2007 11:16 AM
Plant Explorers FYI Rainy Day or Winter day joys William Wagner Gardening 0 04-09-2004 05:10 PM