Old 25-10-2010, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosphate!

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
harry writes
There is the alternative that you never hear of now which is to mix
the concentrate with parafin. Penetrates a lot better.

Would that work on ground elder and ivy? If so I'll give it a try and if
it doesn't work presumably you can set light to them

The paraffin would kill-off the top-growth, probably.

Napalm would do a better job...

--
Rusty
Old 25-10-2010, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete wrote:

The recommended ratio of paraffin to mix would hardly be enough to
create an inflammable liquid.
Perhaps the later idea of a squirt or two of Fairy( or sim. ) to the
mix, would aid penetration similarly.

Perhaps we could have some field trials? Fiery liquid v. Fairy liquid?

--
Rusty
Old 25-10-2010, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/2010 12:11, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Ground elder gives up the ghost pretty easily you just have to keep at
it. Never letting the plant see the sun is the key.

What I want is a *BIG* container - six feet across or more, so I can
grow ground elder without it spreading everywhere.

Do you have gout or something? It sets seed so you have to be a bit
careful. I have some that self seeded into a trough ~3'x2' I didn't spot
in time and it is going to require the whole lot emptied to get rid of
it. Too much risk of collateral damage to kill the GE in situ.

GE is shallow rooted I suspect that 18" paving slabs or slates on end
would be enough to contain it. On my clay soil it is a bit of a nuisance
but is killed by repeated close mowing or chemicals. I have an endless
supply of the stuff in the adjacent field.

And another one six feet deep so I can grow horseradish without it
digging its toes in for evermore...

Not sure I would invite that into my garden.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-10-2010, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin Brown wrote:
What I want is a *BIG* container - six feet across or more, so I can
grow ground elder without it spreading everywhere.

Do you have gout or something?

Is ground elder supposed to be good for gout? That will amuse* my dad, as
he spent years tryign to eradicate it (ground elder /and/ gout, actually!)
and eventually gave up and moved house.
Old 25-10-2010, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/2010 14:06, wrote:
Martin wrote:
What I want is a *BIG* container - six feet across or more, so I can
grow ground elder without it spreading everywhere.

Do you have gout or something?

Is ground elder supposed to be good for gout? That will amuse* my dad, as
he spent years tryign to eradicate it (ground elder /and/ gout, actually!)
and eventually gave up and moved house.

I understand that is why the Romans imported it. I have never eaten it
myself since mine usually has more than a trace of weedkiller(s) in it!

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder

The young leaves are supposed to be OK to eat like spinach (but then
most young leaves that are not actually toxic probably are too).
Read the caution about eating it after flowering has started.

If it has somewhere you hide you cannot fully eradicate it, but on my
clay soil it is the easiest of the pernicious weeds to control. I have a
lot more bother with bindweed and even nettles (maybe same).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 25-10-2010, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/10/2010 12:11, Rusty Hinge wrote:

What I want is a *BIG* container - six feet across or more, so I can
grow ground elder without it spreading everywhere.

Do you have gout or something? It sets seed so you have to be a bit
careful. I have some that self seeded into a trough ~3'x2' I didn't spot
in time and it is going to require the whole lot emptied to get rid of
it. Too much risk of collateral damage to kill the GE in situ.

I use it as a green vegetable and chopped-up, as added flavour in
casseroles.

Fat hen and other goosefoot leaves/tops, nettles and very young hogweed
shoots all make excellent tasty fodder. (For me)

GE is shallow rooted I suspect that 18" paving slabs or slates on end
would be enough to contain it.

You reckon? I'd lay a pound to a penny that it would find a way through.
Some in my garden has 'leaked' under a concrete path.

I generally remove the flower heads of the stuff which has invaded.

On my clay soil it is a bit of a nuisance
but is killed by repeated close mowing or chemicals. I have an endless
supply of the stuff in the adjacent field.

And another one six feet deep so I can grow horseradish without it
digging its toes in for evermore...

Not sure I would invite that into my garden.

I have it in a big builder's tub, but it isn't happy with the two foot
depth of it. Considering a dustbin if I can't find anything deeper.

--
Rusty
Old 25-10-2010, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder

After spending five minutes adblocking the rubbish which is strewn all
over the page I gave up and blocked the whole site...

--
Rusty
Old 25-10-2010, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder

After spending five minutes adblocking the rubbish which is strewn all
over the page I gave up and blocked the whole site...

A-ha, you need a text only, non-javascript browser, you do. ;-)
The article itself, although littered with spelling mistakes, was vaguely
interesting, and it had links to a bunch of recipes I may go back to some
time ...

Old 25-10-2010, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/2010 21:43, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder

After spending five minutes adblocking the rubbish which is strewn all
over the page I gave up and blocked the whole site...

Disable Javascript and just read the content. Unless you are on a *very*
slow connection it isn't worth faffing about with adblocking.

Apart from the many typos it had the most recipes I have seen.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-10-2010, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder
After spending five minutes adblocking the rubbish which is strewn all
over the page I gave up and blocked the whole site...

A-ha, you need a text only, non-javascript browser, you do. ;-)
The article itself, although littered with spelling mistakes, was vaguely
interesting, and it had links to a bunch of recipes I may go back to some
time ...

Aye. Trouble was, adblocking things covered or ate tracts of text. I
shall get round to a text-only browser - sometime.

--
Rusty
Old 25-10-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder

After spending five minutes adblocking the rubbish which is strewn all
over the page I gave up and blocked the whole site...

Disable Javascript and just read the content. Unless you are on a *very*
slow connection it isn't worth faffing about with adblocking.

Apart from the many typos it had the most recipes I have seen.

The server isn't slow, but my connection often dips into the
bits-per-second range.

--
Rusty
Old 25-10-2010, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Aye. Trouble was, adblocking things covered or ate tracts of text. I
shall get round to a text-only browser - sometime.

Drop me a mail with the URL and I'll send you back just the text, if you
like. :-)

Old 26-10-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...Ground%20Elder

After spending five minutes adblocking the rubbish which is strewn all
over the page I gave up and blocked the whole site...

Disable Javascript and just read the content. Unless you are on a
*very* slow connection it isn't worth faffing about with adblocking.

Apart from the many typos it had the most recipes I have seen.

The server isn't slow, but my connection often dips into the
bits-per-second range.

Maybe it needs some oil or even better WD40 to keep the damp and spiders
out at this time of year. Someone dropped a tree though my phone line
last week - and that really decreased the bit rate!

Regards,
Martin Brown