Old 23-01-2011, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

So it seems - the use of 'yard' sounded American. It's not unknown for
people to wander in and find they've lost the way!

When I was a kid the concreted area outside the kitchen window was
referred to as the yard. Yard=garden is an Americanism, but yard as
distinct from garden isn't.

No, it isn't. Like many Americanisms, it's just old-fashioned
English. Yard in that sense dates from 1350 - a time at which
Transpondia had not yet been invaded - and lasted up to the
present day in various dialects. It's no more extreme than
referring to a brock.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-01-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized
front
and back garden snip
This is a British centred gardening group so we may not be able to
help
you in any sensible fashion. Where you have a 'yard', we have
gardens. I hope this helps you to find a group that might be of more
use to you.

Sacha - a quick check indicates that the OP is in South Yorkshire.
Jake

So it seems - the use of 'yard' sounded American. It's not unknown for
people to wander in and find they've lost the way!

When I was a kid the concreted area outside the kitchen window was
referred to as the yard. Yard=garden is an Americanism, but yard as
distinct from garden isn't.

He said yard area, in a context where he was not equating it with the
garden as a whole.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-01-2011, 02:23 PM
floydie-pink's Avatar
Registered User

Location: south yorkshire

Hi im from yorksire, the yard is just a term we use up here to refer to the concreat area by our back door (or backs as some people call them).
I am new to gardening and im unsure if this was the right place to post as you refer to "news group" i thought this was a forum my appoligies.
Old 23-01-2011, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

We seem to have had more comment on his location than on the request
for gardening advice!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

And an unwise assumption that the OP is male.
Hence, part of my abhorrence of unsigned posts (:-(

Pete
www.thecanalsshop.com

Old 23-01-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:23:36 +0000, floydie-pink
wrote:

Hi im from yorksire, the yard is just a term we use up here to refer to
the concreat area by our back door (or backs as some people call them).
I am new to gardening and im unsure if this was the right place to post
as you refer to "news group" i thought this was a forum my appoligies.

Hi F-P-.

You cam here through Garden Banter and I guess you didn't read the
info that's buried there. I visited GB for the first time today (to
discover where you were from) and must admit that I won't bother
again. This isn't because I can't be bothered but rather because the
way Garden Banter presents things is, for me, confusing and difficult
to work through.

GB is, I suppose, a Forum. It's paid for by advertising (which is why
you see so much of it). But when you send something to the UK
Gardening area, GardenBanter's system simply sends it on to something
called "USENET" and it comes through to something called a "NEWSGROUP"
which is, in this case, us. If you don't understand the words in CAPS,
type them into your search engine and you'll find out.

Anyhow, here we are in the UK.REC.GARDENING NEWSGOUP looking at a post
from someone called floydie-pink. I've told the group you're in South
Yorkshire (though if I hadn't made a one off visit to GB we would not
have known). Where you are is important. There are things that can
grow in the warmer down-south places which won't grow up-North. It can
also help to know which direction your bit of ground faces. There are
plants that will grow happily in a west facing garden but which can be
destroyed by the morning sun in an east facing one.

And there's a major debate going on - are you a him or a her? We're
not sexist; just nice to know!

So please come back and tell us a bit more about yourself. Once we
know all the ins and outs of your bit of land, you'll find we're all
ready to help.

Are you planning to lift the pavers for example? Do you want to grow
vegetables or just flowers? How much time do you have to devote to the
garden? There are high maintenance and low maintenance gardens.

It's over to you. We're all waiting.

Cheers
Jake

Old 23-01-2011, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

You say 'we' are you both gardeners?

And one of the first questions normally asked on this newsgroup, is 'where
are you'?

Mike

Cloud -CooKoo land springs to mind !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

You should know :-)

Bill

Old 23-01-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized front
and back garden snip

This is a British centred gardening group so we may not be able to help
you in any sensible fashion. Where you have a 'yard', we have gardens.
I hope this helps you to find a group that might be of more use to you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I believe people had "yards" before "patios", buying a "yard brush" gives a
hint. Do you buy patio brushes these days - you know the big ones with the
stiff bristles.

Bill

Old 23-01-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-23 13:51:03 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

[...]

Hear! Hear!....even though I can't give any meaningful advice.

Bill

Old 23-01-2011, 06:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydie-pink View Post
Hi im from yorksire, the yard is just a term we use up here to refer to the concreat area by our back door (or backs as some people call them).
I am new to gardening and im unsure if this was the right place to post as you refer to "news group" i thought this was a forum my appoligies.
It is a news group. If you're posting through gardenbanter, gardenbanter is merely a web-page that gives access to various newsgroups (as it says in its strapline).

If you can get hold of a newsreader program and read it as a newsgroup, you'll find it a lot easier. For example, when threads bifurcate, you'll be able to follow each strand separately, rather than all muddled up as in gb, ad you'll be able to look at just the new posts that have appeared since you last looked at the group, rather than try to find them embedded higgledy-piggledy amongst the rest of the posts.

But yes, it's absolutely the right place to post, with lots of knowledgeable people on here with all sorts of different areas of expertise.
__________________
Old 24-01-2011, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

I doubt the gender of the poster is germane to the original question but
fwiw, I was taught to use 'he' or 'him' if in doubt and I'm unlikely to
change the habits of a lifetime now!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

To save others having to scuttle to their Chambers's like I had to --
germane = relevant.

Considering that the op has not mastered the basics of some more commoner
words
of the English language.
eg
appoligies.
concreat
dececnt
etc

Perhaps replies using obscurer words, are inadvisable in this thread (:-)

Pete

Old 24-01-2011, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-24 00:06:13 +0000, "Pete" said:

Do you think so? I write my way, others write their way. To my
certain knowledge, some people posting here have dyslexia and writing
is difficult for them so I'm not going to patronise them by 'dumbing
down' my already fairly basic use of English. And look at you, eh - a
whole new word you just learned - wow!! ;-)) (tongue firmly in cheek)
And there is nothing obscure about the word 'germane'!!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Now there is a good test for my fellow workers later this morning.
Germane = ?

I will report back later (:-)

Pete
Nanneys Bridge Nursery
South Cheshire.

Old 24-01-2011, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ...

And yet, the headers also include

My post will but I can't see anything on the original posters headers other
than GB.

My mistake., I thought I had scrolled back to the OP, but was
misled because your post did not appear to show it as quoted
text.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 24-01-2011, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Considering that the op has not mastered the basics of some more commoner
words
of the English language.
Pete

More commoner words?
In my day when we were taught English that would have been "more
common words"
Commoner - A member of the common people
Old 24-01-2011, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized front
and back garden snip

This is a British centred gardening group so we may not be able to help
you in any sensible fashion. Where you have a 'yard', we have gardens.
I hope this helps you to find a group that might be of more use to you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I believe people had "yards" before "patios", buying a "yard brush" gives
hint. Do you buy patio brushes these days - you know the big ones with
the
stiff bristles.

Bill

We have those large headed brooms here, if that's what you mean, Bill. To
me a patio is a paved terrace. I thought a 'yard' was where you had e.g.
the outside lav, the clothes line, the coal shed or log store etc. It was
paved or concrete so that feet didn't get wet going to do the essentials!!
Now - shall we get to helping this poor OP (I do hope that's pc enough)
with his or her questions? S/He must think s/he's wandered into a
madhouse!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

You are right of course, but my point was , we had yards before patios and
the name carried on.
A back yard, susally shortened to "the back" is what we had when I was a
kid, and of course no patio.

Bill