Old 14-03-2014, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How close to a house can I plant an apple treee?

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"sacha" wrote
Bob Hobden said:
"AL_n" wrote ...

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I
hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

Oh dear, Cox's are a devil to grow well (susceptible to almost
everything) and fruit (it needs a pollinator) and are best for commercial
planting where they can throw lots of chemicals at the trees. Good luck.

I thought it was one of those where some need pollinating and some don't,
Bob? Iow, confusing! They do seem to be prone to all the ills an apple
tree can suffer though!

There is a self fertile clone available but it's always specifically sold as
the Self Fertile variety, if it is just sold as Cox's then it won't be.

We have one. It's prone to everything :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
Cox lookalikes like Sunset are a lot more reliable. Come to that even
French golden delicious apples grown in the UK on dwarfing rootstock are
nowhere near as inedible as French pumped up supermarket ones.
We've been to a couple of those days wher eyou can walk around the nursery and try the apples off the trees. Falstaff is a cox descendant which is delicious and also we noted how little affected its apples were in comparison to many others.
Old 14-03-2014, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/14 07:03, sacha wrote:

/Cox's/

I thought it was one of those where some need pollinating and some
don't, Bob? Iow, confusing! They do seem to be prone to all the ills an
apple tree can suffer though!

When I was an anklebiter and into my late yoof we had a (standard) Cox's
orange pippin tree (amongst the 35 other fruit trees...) and we never
had any pestilence descend on it in all that time.

Some years ir was more prolific than others, but that's to be expected.

Mind you, it was a _proper_ Cox, not one of these modern 'improvements'.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 14-03-2014, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/14 08:03, Martin Brown wrote:

Cox lookalikes like Sunset are a lot more reliable.

True, but nowhere near as palatable.

Come to that even
French golden delicious apples grown in the UK on dwarfing rootstock are
nowhere near as inedible as French pumped up supermarket ones.

Golden Delicious (derived from a Granny Smith IIRC) are quite good if
left until ripening (to gold!) before picking.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 14-03-2014, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/14 09:06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"sacha" wrote
Bob Hobden said:
[...]

Push it the other way and it'll be supine to everything.

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 14-03-2014, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:46:36 +0000, RustyHinge wrote:

On 14/03/14 08:03, Martin Brown wrote:

Cox lookalikes like Sunset are a lot more reliable.

True, but nowhere near as palatable.

Come to that even French golden delicious apples grown in the UK on
dwarfing rootstock are nowhere near as inedible as French pumped up
supermarket ones.

I wonder where these come from? We don't see them around here or even in
Paris, so probably grown for export. Maybe in the south.

Golden Delicious (derived from a Granny Smith IIRC) are quite good if
left until ripening (to gold!) before picking.

Granny is decent, and I was trying to grow one, but it got attacked by
boring beetles and needs to come out (maybe next week). It's getting
replaced by the excellent old variety 'Winter Banana.'

We also have a Reine de Reinette, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone
although it crops well. Another that's attacked by every disease known,
and I even spray it. Otherwise we have 'Boskoop' which I recommend
highly, pretty trouble free and big fruit with good flavour and texture,
and Reinette Blanch d'Espagne, another heritage variety with with small
spicy green fruit. Nice but not much of a cropper, or at least not yet
(10 years in the ground, though).

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 14-03-2014, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:57:43 +0100, echinosum
wrote:

Martin Brown;999830 Wrote:
Cox lookalikes like Sunset are a lot more reliable. Come to that even
French golden delicious apples grown in the UK on dwarfing rootstock are

nowhere near as inedible as French pumped up supermarket ones.

We've been to a couple of those days wher eyou can walk around the
nursery and try the apples off the trees. Falstaff is a cox descendant
which is delicious and also we noted how little affected its apples were
in comparison to many others.

What happens to the apples that you bite?

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 14-03-2014, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/2014 17:38, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

My previous house had an apple tree trained espalier style up the
house wall. It had been there for about ten years.

I think OP could probably get away with it if there really is no other
place for it to go, but without knowing its type of rootstock, I don't
think I'd put it there (almost as much to do with potential light for it
as anything else).

I've got a Cox 'espaliered' against one of the sunnier walls of my
house. (Well, it's more 'shaped' than espaliered). It's been there
about 5 years (it was at least 4' tall when it went in and it is no more
than 5' now. Even if it wasn't shaped, I don't think it would be much
taller). It is on some sort of a dwarfing rootstock of some sort -
can't rmember the M number.

I have two other Cox that were already in the garden, and they are
considerably bigger - probably 10' tall and similar across - presumably
a less dwarfing rootstock.

I know some people don't like Cox' - the canker does weaken them a bit
and the mildew isn't pretty - but I just love the taste of them.

--
regards
andy

Old 14-03-2014, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:24:18 +0100, Martin wrote:

I wonder where these come from? We don't see them around here or even
in Paris, so probably grown for export. Maybe in the south.

or in The Netherlands?

But would they still be French Apples?

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 15-03-2014, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 13/03/14 17:54, AL_n wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally, I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house.

Am I right in thinking that the roots of a tree generally spread about the
same amount as the branches?

Only in some locations and some kinds of tree.

Willows, poplars, alder, root far beyond their canopy.

In a dry climate, or a hot dry summer, the roots will spread further to
find sufficient water.

A pruned tree (like apples) will not match its roots to the topgrowth
pruning.

The ground (beneath a thin layer of topsoil) is heavy clay, so hopefully
that will keep it in check. I think the roots will have a tough time
reaching the footings of the adjacent building. There is no chance of it
impinging on the neighbour's light.

Clay is generally rather nutritous and apple trees rather like it IME.
Roots rarely have a tough time unless completely contained. Indeed,
willows especially can send roots up to a verylongway.

Also, clay shrinks or expands according to water content..soil water
content is affected by trees taking it up... in some conditions house
foundations may be affected by clay shrinking/expanding.

Planting a deciduous tree in clay soil so close to your neighbour's
house foundations, flags up a potential problem for his property (and
his building insurance) which he's unlikely to ignore. IOW, a neighbour
dispute could arise right away.

Janet

Old 15-03-2014, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-13 17:54:38 +0000, AL_n said:

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally, I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is
that okay to do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a
house, but according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6
mtrs, so I hope 2 mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay.
What do you think?

I think that would be a bit close to the house and not good for
either.

Also you have to consider the loss of light from its canopy when the
thing grows. It may shade windows in an annoying manner.

You don't say what rootstock it is on so it is hard to guess what the
actual size will be and I have found that some plants which grow small
at under 2m for me on heavy clay are rampant and 3+m elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. The printed blurb on the tag doesn't say anything
about the rootstock. It just says it's eventual height and spread will both
be about 2.7 mtrs.

I think you should check with the place where you bought it and if it's
not self-fertile, take it back and get one that is, and is a dwarf
type. You can even get really low 'step over' types which edge paths
and beds and fruit quite well. I've never tried those myself but we
have a customer who has and has come back for more.

Am I right in thinking that the roots of a tree generally spread about the
same amount as the branches?

It's a very general rule of thumb but it's not invariable and again, is
something to check with your supplier.

The ground (beneath a thin layer of topsoil) is heavy clay, so hopefully
that will keep it in check. I think the roots will have a tough time
reaching the footings of the adjacent building. There is no chance of it
impinging on the neighbour's light.

Al

But will your tree get enough sun? And not be in the rain shadow of
your house or your neighbour's?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Cherry Treee for South? chaz Gardening 6 10-01-2004 05:03 PM
How close should be Thujas planted near the house? Hard694soft United Kingdom 0 24-08-2003 12:32 PM
How close should be Thujas planted near the house? Emrys Davies United Kingdom 5 21-08-2003 04:12 AM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM
Will ponds cause (insects,mosquito etc) problem if it is too close to the house? John Ponds 3 30-01-2003 06:27 PM