Old 12-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Mich

Default How to be an irritating neighbour.

"Chu Mai Fat" wrote in message

"Mich" wrote in message

"Chu Mai Fat" wrote in message

"Mich" wrote in message

So what can I do to be the most irritating a** hole imaginable (

legal
suggestions only please).

Just be yourself. You sound like an irritating a***hole, whining about

some
poor ******* trying to earn a living.

Oh thanks! I'll continue to do that then and I hope it achieves the

desired
results.

Believe me, it's working.

It certainly takes an a**hole to know one!

Very witty, Mich. One of Oscar's?

No, I have the copyright on that one! g

What exactly is the nature of his "over cultivation of the land and

general
growing the guts out of it", and when did you become an expert?

I really wouldnt bother to answer this but maybe you do desere and
explanation.
I became an expert on farming when I aquired a farm - albeit a small one and
not viable in commercial terms.

But frankly maybe a few people should realise here that if you want the
countryside preserved , you can no longer rely on the farmers, you need to
rely on people like me who buy the land and maintain it but work in other
occupations.

Christ, you
can't even work out the best spot for a hebe bush. Or are you just

obsessing
now and blaming him for the weather?

Now you have assumed!
As I pointed out in another thread. I have accommodated this guy more than
most others. I have some appreciation of his problems.

However, the Hebe is a perfect position. Its been there fifteen years. I
didnt plant it. But it has grown and flowered so it must be in a good
position for it.

Secondlt, its not on the boundary. Its well inside my drive. Its the last
plant on the drive and as such is my boundary plant. But its no where near
the lane.

To break this bush down this bloke has come about ten feet over my drive and
into the bank on the corner.
If he came any further he would take the end off my car, which is also
parked well wihin my driveway, if I had it parked there ( which I sometimes
do , when I have visitors).

Hmmm, his "over cultivation of the land and general growing the guts out

of
it" obviously doesn't extend to lack of fertilisation. And here's a
news-flash for you, Mich, even your shit stinks.

Actually this farmer is also in a wrangel over his use of SWW sewerage ( not
with me) - to add to his problems. g

He has a bit of a reputation, but in the past, feeling sorry for him, I have
given way. But not now.

Its interesting that I havent seen him or his tractor today.

Interesting? That's bloody fascinating! Did you spend the whole day

peeping
through your curtains waiting for him or did you actually do something
productive?

No I was working outside - just like he should have been.

Well, their you have the whole situation in two sentences. He's working

14
hour days trying to earn a living and you're crying in news groups all day
when you're not peeping through your curtains looking for something to
whinge about. You need to work on the irritating bit Mich, but you're
already an expert a***hole.

Actually I am on holiday for three days. This is the only holiday I have
had in the last two years.
I work very long hours. I have one day a week off. I work my fields and tidy
the garden that day. I come home and work my fields on an evening too. I
am knackered.

Long hours are a British desease. I am not responsible for that!

Believe me, I know about hard work.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Ophelia

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

Why not dig a hole at the limit of your land, on the corner of the

drive in
question, and stick a great big concrete bollard in. Then plant a nice
climber or shrub to cover it from your side.

or dig a very deep hole fill, the bottom with sharpened stakes, and
cover it with thin branches

Nah, you might catch a heffalump, especially if anyone nearby has a
rhubarb tree.

Ackkkkkkk I never thought of that. I shall have a look under my rhubarb
later

Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Mike

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes

Nah, you might catch a heffalump, especially if anyone nearby has a
rhubarb tree.

How does an elephant get down from a rhubarb tree?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Steps on a leaf and wits for Autumn ;-{

Sorry.

Got my coat.
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Mike

In article , Mich
writes

However, the Hebe is a perfect position. Its been there fifteen years. I
didnt plant it. But it has grown and flowered so it must be in a good
position for it.

I have read the rest of the thread and am getting the vibes that

a) You have antagonised him somehow or other, otherwise why all of a
sudden is he coming so far over into your land?

or b) You have been a 'soft sucker' and he has 'used' your drive for
turning and as he has never been told off before, he is 'staking his
claim'

Secondlt, its not on the boundary. Its well inside my drive. Its the last
plant on the drive and as such is my boundary plant. But its no where near
the lane.

Do you know exactly where the boundary is? Could there be any dispute as
to just where the bounds lay?

To break this bush down this bloke has come about ten feet over my drive and
into the bank on the corner.

Is this a new Tractor and/or trailer so that he needs more room?

If you can define exactly where you line of the boundary comes and if it
is possible to do, I would 'stake my boundary'.

Many people have commented on Railway Lines, Boulders etc but I wouldn't
go down that line. I would drive angle iron stakes in every 6 ft or so
and put a 3ft Chain Link fence up. Not the prettiest thing out in the
country, (My last house was in the country so I do know what I am
talking about and living on the Isle of Wight I have your situation all
around). Why chain link? He is coming into the lane with machinery which
is not nice and smooth like a car. The 'bits sticking out' could catch
on just one bit of the chain link fence and pull the lot out, therefore
as soon as it is erected, write to him pointing out what you have done
and tell him any damage done by him will be charged for. At the bottom
of the letter and under your signature put 'copy to (name of your
solicitor AND copy to your Local Council, assuming that part of his
tractor /trailor will be on Highways Department land)' Send that letter
recorded delivery this is most important. Don't talk to him and tell him
what you are going, just do it!!

On the inside of this ugly looking chain link, plant a new hedge so you
don't see the ugly thing:-))

YOU are maintaining YOUR bit of land:-)

Positive action and recorded letters work wonders :-))
Been there, done that, got the apologies.

Mike
(I am at present having a battle with 2 people who I will have removed
from their positions)

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat
you with experience.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mich" contains these words:

It just so happens that there are two boulders either side of this

plant,
and it had crossed my mind to add a third immovable large one.

It won't be immovable to anyone with a large tractor; he'll just push
it out of his way and then you could find you're the one who can't get
past an immovable rock.

Don't be fool enough to start a war of attrition against a farmer
neighbour, because he holds all the best weapons and won't lose. I'm
surprised that you could have lived in the country so long and not
realise that.

Are you sure it's reasonable to decorate your boundary to a narrow
lane/corner leading to farmland? Isn't it inevitable that large and
unwieldy farm machines will have to get past somehow?

That would be the farmer's problem. His need to get to his lands does not
entitle him to ruin anybody's ground. If he finds it impossible to get to
his land, it is up to him to arrange for a proper access road, possibly by
buying the crucial piece of land.

The other side of the coin is that if the farmer has been doing this
unopposed for n years, where n is some large number, he surely has by now
acquired a right of way.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 12-08-2003, 11:43 AM
e r col

"Dee" wrote:

[SNIP]
solution was to obtain a 12' length of railway rail which
he sank 8 feet into the ground (imbedded in a copious
quantity of concrete).

Which'll be fine until the sun comes out, then the rail'll go all floppy.

ED

Old 12-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Ophelia

"e r col" wrote in message
"Dee" wrote:

[SNIP]
solution was to obtain a 12' length of railway rail which
he sank 8 feet into the ground (imbedded in a copious
quantity of concrete).

Which'll be fine until the sun comes out, then the rail'll go all floppy.

..........and what happens when we get the wrong kind of snow?

Old 12-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Jane Ransom

I'm not replying to anyone in particular hence the lack of
attributions.

Surely, once upon a time, most land was agricultural. Over the years the
farmers have had their land reduced and this land has been built on. If
the builders didn't allow enough space for farmers to access what
remained of their land with their large agricultural machines, it's no
good taking it out on the farmers - lobby the local planning
departments!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Arfers Watershed

Read this!

Old 12-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Mich

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Mich
writes

However, the Hebe is a perfect position. Its been there fifteen years. I
didnt plant it. But it has grown and flowered so it must be in a good
position for it.

I have read the rest of the thread and am getting the vibes that

a) You have antagonised him somehow or other, otherwise why all of a
sudden is he coming so far over into your land?

I am not aware of having done so. We have not spoken to each other ( not
meant nastily) and I am not aware of any issue so....

or b) You have been a 'soft sucker' and he has 'used' your drive for
turning and as he has never been told off before, he is 'staking his
claim'

Possibly partly true! he has never used my drive as a turning point untill
the last few weeks. However, I would agree that my failure to make an issue
of problems previously may have given him the impression I am a "soft
sucker"

Although someone else has made a suggestion that has set me thinking.
It could just be this arrogant SOB thinks I have sold up and moved out and
that there is no one to complain about his antics!

There is a "For sale" sign at the bottom of the lane. The "for sale" has
recently had a "sold" posted over it.
It doesn not refer to my house or my land , but I know several psople have
thought that it did! In fact one complete stranger even knocked on my door
and asked to look around a few months ago.

This bloke could be under the same impression and is trying to take
advantage of a situation that doesnt exist ( ie no one at home , do as he
likes)

Do you know exactly where the boundary is? Could there be any dispute as
to just where the bounds lay?

I know precisely where my boundaries are. I own all the frontage onto the
main lane and all the side onto and including the lower part of the lane
which this guy runs across to get to his fields! he has an easement across
the lane ( footpath) but not over my land.

He knows where the boundaries are too. They are clear. The drive of my home
is drop curbed across the whole boundary. The bank ( lump) has a curb and
is planted up.

All of it is regularly maintained. There are no disputes possible.

Is this a new Tractor and/or trailer so that he needs more room?

Its not a new tractor, but he has never used a triple low loader in the lane
before. Yes he does need more room for this , but thats not my problem.
The access is smaller in size than when he bought his fields three years
ago.
Its still a cheek using my drive , and more, its all the worse because he
hasnt even asked for permission or even apologiesed for any "accident" ( not
as it was one - I watched him!) .

An apology actually would go a long way to making me feel better.
But as I said, I am thinking that he thinks I am not at home and he can get
away with blue murder here.

Many people have commented on Railway Lines, Boulders etc but I wouldn't
go down that line. I would drive angle iron stakes in every 6 ft or so
and put a 3ft Chain Link fence up. Not the prettiest thing out in the
country, (My last house was in the country so I do know what I am
talking about and living on the Isle of Wight I have your situation all
around). Why chain link? He is coming into the lane with machinery which
is not nice and smooth like a car. The 'bits sticking out' could catch
on just one bit of the chain link fence and pull the lot out,

Along with other ideas raised by people I am seriously considering this one.
It is possible. The boundary is clearly marked and it would not be against
any by laws etc. In fact there are several other people down in the village
who have chain link on their drives and boundaries.

therefore
as soon as it is erected, write to him pointing out what you have done
and tell him any damage done by him will be charged for. At the bottom
of the letter and under your signature put 'copy to (name of your
solicitor AND copy to your Local Council, assuming that part of his
tractor /trailor will be on Highways Department land)' Send that letter
recorded delivery this is most important. Don't talk to him and tell him
what you are going, just do it!!

I have taken on board all that you say.

On the inside of this ugly looking chain link, plant a new hedge so you
don't see the ugly thing:-))

YOU are maintaining YOUR bit of land:-)

Positive action and recorded letters work wonders :-))
Been there, done that, got the apologies.

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Mich

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mich" contains these words:

The other side of the coin is that if the farmer has been doing this
unopposed for n years, where n is some large number, he surely has by now
acquired a right of way.

He hasnt! he has only owned his fields three years. In none of that time has
he encroached onto my drive or land, nor has he gained any access or
permissiopn to do so.

He has an easement over my lane ( yes I own the lane too , its not highways
and its unadopted. Its a private lane) not my land nor my drive, but that
is clearly shown on his deeds , my deeds and at the land registry. He knows
the bounds and the width of the lane.

Its also clearly marked on the ground as you come into the lane ( there is a
big white continuous paint line edging my drive and a drop curb.

Although I can see where you are coming from - and I wouldnt put it past him
trying.
I have commented in another thread on this.
Thinking about it, it may be this bloke thinks I have sold up and moved out
and that he can therfore do what he likes .

So he is going to get a shock when he returns to find I have already blocked
his way across the drive and put bollards in the rockery, albeit temporary.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Victoria Clare

Jane Ransom wrote in
:

Surely, once upon a time, most land was agricultural. Over the years
the farmers have had their land reduced and this land has been built
on. If the builders didn't allow enough space for farmers to access
what remained of their land with their large agricultural machines,
it's no good taking it out on the farmers - lobby the local planning
departments!!!!

But the size of machinery has changed too: you cannot blame planners for
that.

Mich is unlucky in having as a neighbour a farmer who can afford large
machines, and presumably has access that mostly allows him to use them
on his land without blocking the highways.

Many of the farmers around here use tractors that are at least 20 years
old. They are tiny compared with most new ones. What might have been a
reasonable turning circle 20 years ago will often now be too narrow:
same as garages that are too small for most modern cars.

This does, of course, make the land less economic to farm, and means
that many smallholdings are now run by people who have other sources of
income.

Where I grew up in North Devon, the lanes are mostly sunken as well as
narrow and winding, and it's simply not possible to get the really large
trailers along them. They were designed for small carts or packhorses.

Some farmers widen gateways in their own fields, or make new ones so
they can take their equipment across country over their own land
instead. Others use smaller machines and accept the limitations that
imposes.

Crunching someone's garden does not strike me as an acceptable
alternative to these options, or, really, to be the fault of anyone
other than the driver.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 12-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Mich

"Mich" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Mich
writes

Its not a new tractor, but he has never used a triple low loader in the

lane
before. Yes he does need more room for this , but thats not my problem.
The access is smaller in size than when he bought his fields three years
ago.

Sorry major boo boo!

This should read the access is NO SMALLER in size than when he bought his
fields three years ago.
I could go further and say that the entrace by my driveway is slightly
larger since I have cut back and maintained the hedges and repaired the
road.
Very different meaning! g

By the way, before anyone gets the wrong idea. He hasnt bough any land off
me.
Both his land and mine belonged to a larger farm ( estate). Back in 1915 it
was sold and divided into two smaller areas.

I own the smaller but older of the two which is effectively only a
smallholding.
Its remained the same in dimensions and usage since 1915. It was in fact
used as a seperate holding although belonging to the larger estate even
before that, possibly back even as far as Saxon times , if the historical
records and wall boundaries ( archeology) are anything to go by. My
property has only had three owners since 1915. The house I live in was
built in the middle of the fields in the late 1950's as a home for the then
smallholder.

The farmers ( that is the one I have a problem with) fields once had two
access points , my lane and a lane between two other fields that belonged
to the larger unit.
The larger unit sold the five fields this side of a natural stream which
runs through the valley to this guy about three years ago.
In fact the whole farm was split up. This guy got the fields to add to his
existing farm on the other side of the river ( the river runs at the top of
the lane but there is no access point across it) Now these fields have
access through my lane

It isnt a problem ( or shouldnt be) other than very large machinery cannot
get up this lane. Its a physical impossibility. Frankly, in terms of normal
everyday farming, he shouldnt need a triple loader or the massive machinery
he is using!

Old 12-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

You need to work on the irritating bit Mich, but you're
already an expert a***hole.

Takes one to know one.

Off my screen you go.

Old 13-08-2003, 12:48 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Oh, come off it! Peafowl, please! And perhaps a donkey ....

... a few hives of bees to replace the hebe ...

Cloff please!

Cloff?

To whipe the keybrod and minotaur.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.