Old 22-12-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Neighbour Trouble

"Bill Pritchard" wrote in message
: We moved to this house last spring and have finally turned our attention
to the
: garden. Whilst clearing weeds and debris I came across two electric cables
near
: to the fence. When I asked my neighbour about them he said that they were
the
: power supply to his two sheds. I suggested he put them his side of the
fence
: but he replied that surely it wouldn't matter to me if he left them where
they
: were. I've now asked him several times but he just shrugs his shoulders.
: Unfortunately, there's not enough slack to just throw them over. My
question
: (finally) is, could I cut through one of the cables (accidently of course)
with
: a wooden shafted spade without electrocuting myself.
: Bill Pritchard
: Retired and Emotional

Are you sure they're not running off your electricity? Why would they be in
your garden otherwise?

Old 22-12-2003, 12:13 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:28:33 -0000, "K" wrote:

Are you sure they're not running off your electricity? Why would they be in
your garden otherwise?

LOL!

Now you have ruined Bill's Christmas :-)
--
Martin

Old 22-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message

In November, we got a free upgrade for some unknown reason from
steerage class to a De Luxe cabin with double bed, settee, arm chair
digital satellite TV and a *full* free minibar, which included large
bottles of red and white wine. The red wine wasn't actually in the
fridge.

OH my... fantastic

Do you know you can do Rosyth to Zeebrugge by ferry now?
http://www.roybrown.pwp.blueyonder.c...rfastferry.htm

Yes I do but we haven't used it yet

We have friends in Scotland who use it.

Ferry company at http://www.superfast.com/

Thank you Martin

btw careful or we will get told off again LOL

shhh!

Hehe

Old 22-12-2003, 05:03 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:16:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

In November, we got a free upgrade for some unknown reason from
steerage class to a De Luxe cabin with double bed, settee, arm chair
digital satellite TV and a *full* free minibar, which included large
bottles of red and white wine. The red wine wasn't actually in the
fridge.

OH my... fantastic

Have you used DFDS from Newcastle to IJmuiden?
Their ferries are much cheaper and have much better food.
--
Martin

Old 22-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:16:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

In November, we got a free upgrade for some unknown reason from
steerage class to a De Luxe cabin with double bed, settee, arm chair
digital satellite TV and a *full* free minibar, which included large
bottles of red and white wine. The red wine wasn't actually in the
fridge.

OH my... fantastic

Have you used DFDS from Newcastle to IJmuiden?
Their ferries are much cheaper and have much better food.

No I did not. Please may I have details?

Old 22-12-2003, 06:03 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:32:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:16:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

In November, we got a free upgrade for some unknown reason from
steerage class to a De Luxe cabin with double bed, settee, arm chair
digital satellite TV and a *full* free minibar, which included large
bottles of red and white wine. The red wine wasn't actually in the
fridge.

OH my... fantastic

Have you used DFDS from Newcastle to IJmuiden?
Their ferries are much cheaper and have much better food.

No I did not. Please may I have details?

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/

They also go to Copenhagen from Newcastle.

We tried their de luxe cabin too!

Is that your real e-mail address if I take some bits out?
I can hardly carry on like this, without getting my knuckles rapped
again
--
Martin
Old 22-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Sacha

martin22/12/03 5:44

wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

In November, we got a free upgrade for some unknown reason from
steerage class to a De Luxe cabin with double bed, settee, arm chair
digital satellite TV and a *full* free minibar, which included large
bottles of red and white wine. The red wine wasn't actually in the
fridge.

OH my... fantastic

Have you used DFDS from Newcastle to IJmuiden?
Their ferries are much cheaper and have much better food.

No I did not. Please may I have details?

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/

They also go to Copenhagen from Newcastle.

We tried their de luxe cabin too!

Is that your real e-mail address if I take some bits out?
I can hardly carry on like this, without getting my knuckles rapped
again

If, by having your knuckles rapped, you mean being asked to take private
correspondence to private email, you must have led a very sheltered life,
Martin. But yes, I will ask you to remember that this group does not have
'Martin' in its title.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 22-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from (Bill Pritchard) contains these words:

We moved to this house last spring and have finally turned our
attention to the
garden. Whilst clearing weeds and debris I came across two electric
cables near
to the fence. When I asked my neighbour about them he said that they
were the
power supply to his two sheds. I suggested he put them his side of the

fence
but he replied that surely it wouldn't matter to me if he left them
where they
were. I've now asked him several times but he just shrugs his shoulders.
Unfortunately, there's not enough slack to just throw them over. My

question
(finally) is, could I cut through one of the cables (accidently of
course) with
a wooden shafted spade without electrocuting myself.

Wearing sound rubber boots you could cut them with an uninsulated tool,
though I wouldn't advocate it. One of my fiends used to do just that
with small jobs: once, in my shed, we were putting power points in and
we needed the light, and we didn't have the keys to the Church Hall so
we could borrow a Tilley.

We left the power on and were working in the (electric) light while he
was snipping live wires happily with a pair of bare-handled side-cutters
- until the blades touched live and earth.......

*BANG!*

-*BIG BLOO FLASH!*-

lots of darkness

Me: "You all right, Ken?"

Ken: "Yes."

Power restored we found theside-cutters hanging above the bench, welded
to the earth wire.

Seriously, why don't you charge him wayleave? He'd pretty soon remove it
the wires, or provide you with some beer-money.

I wonder if Bill Pritchard has found acceptable advice by now. It would be
nice if he would take some time off to let us know if there is any progress
on the cable front.

Franz

Old 22-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:32:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:16:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

In November, we got a free upgrade for some unknown reason from
steerage class to a De Luxe cabin with double bed, settee, arm chair
digital satellite TV and a *full* free minibar, which included large
bottles of red and white wine. The red wine wasn't actually in the
fridge.

OH my... fantastic

Have you used DFDS from Newcastle to IJmuiden?
Their ferries are much cheaper and have much better food.

No I did not. Please may I have details?

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/

They also go to Copenhagen from Newcastle.

We tried their de luxe cabin too!

Is that your real e-mail address if I take some bits out?
I can hardly carry on like this, without getting my knuckles rapped
again

ElsinoreatBlueyonderdotcodotuk)

Old 22-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Ophelia

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
martin22/12/03 5:44

wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

[...]

I seem to remember that some of your last mails have not been on topic Madam

I am not sure who put stripes on your shoulder but may I remind you this is
not a moderated list

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 22-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Sacha

Ophelia22/12/03 8:42

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
martin22/12/03 5:44

snip
Is that your real e-mail address if I take some bits out?
I can hardly carry on like this, without getting my knuckles rapped
again

If, by having your knuckles rapped, you mean being asked to take private
correspondence to private email, you must have led a very sheltered life,
Martin. But yes, I will ask you to remember that this group does not have
'Martin' in its title.

I seem to remember that some of your last mails have not been on topic Madam

And have been marked as such, unlike your personal indulgences.

I am not sure who put stripes on your shoulder but may I remind you this is
not a moderated list

Ophelia
Scotland

And I'm not at all sure who told you this newsgroup was your personal
indulgence.

With certain exceptions, of which you are one, it is mostly a polite and
considerate list of others who come here to talk on topic and help each
other. Those of us who choose to post OFF topic deliberately , warn others
in the subject line to start with. That gives all posters the opportunity
to kill file anything OT.
IF the topic changes drastically, most/many take it to email or warn the
rest of us by marking the change as OT. It's a small courtesy but quite a
telling one, IME, more in the breach than in the observance.
For you and Martin to be using this group to advertise ferry travel is a
gross breach of its charter. But more importantly, it's just simple bad
manners. Why would a gardening group be interested in your travel
arrangements, unless it's to a horticultural show?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 22-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Ophelia

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Ophelia22/12/03 8:42

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
martin22/12/03 5:44

snip
[...]

falconry?

spam software report-back - long!

Is the fox a pest ? the lie exposed

Just some of the topics to which you have contributed And these have to
do with gardening exactly what?

May I suggest you keep your bossy opinions to yourself. I don't believe you
are a moderator here or have you elevated yourself to that postion?

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 22-12-2003, 11:32 PM
VivienB

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:43:07 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

[...]

I am with Sacha on this - you have forgotten your manners and are
reacting like a spoilt child when this has been pointed out to you. I
don't know what has happened to you to cause this uncharacteristic
rudeness on your part, perhaps the peculiarities of the season are
affecting you.

I shall say no more on the subject, let us return to the more normal
'Goodwill to All Men' attitude around here!

Season's Greetings to you all,

VivienB
Old 22-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Sacha

Ophelia22/12/03 9:48

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Ophelia22/12/03 8:42

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
martin22/12/03 5:44

snip
[...]

Foxes go into peoples' gardens, Ophelia. They dig in them, they crap on
them, they empty dustbins. You may be so busy talking about yourself that
you've failed to notice that. At some point, a lot of us who live in the
country are affected by foxes, whatever we may or may not feel about the
hunting of them.
*I* suggest you take your private life to email. It's a polite and
reasonable request, after all. I may say that the fallback of every
ill-mannered poster is to accuse others of wishing to be moderators and you
do NOT break that particular mould, unfortunately.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)