Old 21-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Bill Pritchard

Default Neighbour Trouble

We moved to this house last spring and have finally turned our attention to the
garden. Whilst clearing weeds and debris I came across two electric cables near
to the fence. When I asked my neighbour about them he said that they were the
power supply to his two sheds. I suggested he put them his side of the fence
but he replied that surely it wouldn't matter to me if he left them where they
were. I've now asked him several times but he just shrugs his shoulders.
Unfortunately, there's not enough slack to just throw them over. My question
(finally) is, could I cut through one of the cables (accidently of course) with
a wooden shafted spade without electrocuting myself.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional
Old 21-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Steve Warren @ The UK Speedtrap Guide

"Bill Pritchard" wrote in message
[...]

Much easier to get a sparkie that likes to work live and get him to tap into
the line and provide you with some free electricity.. after all its on your
land... :-))
Steve

"The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
"The UK Weather Guide" @ http://www.ukstorms.com

Old 21-12-2003, 02:13 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:25:24 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Warren @ The UK
Speedtrap Guide" wrote:

[...]

and use it to power grow lamps and the growth of illegal substances in
the traditional Dutch manner ? :-)

looks over shoulder for Jenny
--
Martin

Old 21-12-2003, 03:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:37:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

and use it to power grow lamps and the growth of illegal substances in
the traditional Dutch manner ? :-)

looks over shoulder for Jenny

O is watching too

I had the feeling that somebody was :-)

I think Jenny is resting on her laurels.

I hope her greenhouse in the sky hasn't blown away in today's gale.

It's been up to force 11.
--
Martin
Old 21-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

You would be quite safe if you wore good, bone dry thick rubber gardening
gloves. But don't instinctively put your foor on the spade, except if you
have bone dry wellies on

Why are they on your side?
How far from the fence are they on your side?
For how long a distance?
How near to either your house or an outbuilding of yours are they?
I like Steve's idea of free electricity.

Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional

Old 21-12-2003, 04:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:01:23 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

[...]

same gear as for Cayenne pepper picking?

Why are they on your side?
How far from the fence are they on your side?
For how long a distance?
How near to either your house or an outbuilding of yours are they?
I like Steve's idea of free electricity.

Everybody likes the idea of free electricity.
Perhaps it could supply the whole street.

OP photographed in the act at
http://www.sigsy.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...es/mrjune.html
--
Martin

Old 21-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

and use it to power grow lamps and the growth of illegal substances in
the traditional Dutch manner ? :-)

looks over shoulder for Jenny

O is watching too

I had the feeling that somebody was :-)

I think Jenny is resting on her laurels.

I hope her greenhouse in the sky hasn't blown away in today's gale.

It's been up to force 11.

Blimey.. where are you? I see you are using a French ISP

Old 21-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message

Everybody likes the idea of free electricity.
Perhaps it could supply the whole street.

OP photographed in the act at
http://www.sigsy.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...es/mrjune.html

ROFL.. is that you?)

Old 21-12-2003, 04:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:11:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

and use it to power grow lamps and the growth of illegal substances in
the traditional Dutch manner ? :-)

looks over shoulder for Jenny

O is watching too

I had the feeling that somebody was :-)

I think Jenny is resting on her laurels.

I hope her greenhouse in the sky hasn't blown away in today's gale.

It's been up to force 11.

Blimey.. where are you? I see you are using a French ISP

Near the North Sea in Holland.

(Freeserve number one in UK is owned by the same ISP)
--
Martin
Old 21-12-2003, 04:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:12:57 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

Everybody likes the idea of free electricity.
Perhaps it could supply the whole street.

OP photographed in the act at
http://www.sigsy.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...es/mrjune.html

ROFL.. is that you?)

me? cheek! Don't you recognise Franz in the flesh?

Is this you gathering in the crop
http://www.sigsy.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...s/msapril.html ?

--
Martin
Old 21-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Sacha

Bill Pritchard21/12/03 12:13

We moved to this house last spring and have finally turned our attention to
the
garden. Whilst clearing weeds and debris I came across two electric cables
near
to the fence. When I asked my neighbour about them he said that they were the
power supply to his two sheds. I suggested he put them his side of the fence
but he replied that surely it wouldn't matter to me if he left them where they
were. I've now asked him several times but he just shrugs his shoulders.
Unfortunately, there's not enough slack to just throw them over. My question
(finally) is, could I cut through one of the cables (accidently of course)
with
a wooden shafted spade without electrocuting myself.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional

As a matter of curiosity why do you want him to move them? Is it a matter
of safety in your view, or do you just object to them being on your land?
What I'm trying to get at here is whether or not this is a sufficiently
important issue to you, to risk a major fall out with someone who is going
to be your neighbour for a long time, perhaps?
If it's a safety issue, tell him so and remind him, as nicely as you can,
that he will be responsible for any legal repercussions, such as you, your
child, grandchildren, cat, dog or budgie tripping over, cutting through etc.
I should also tell him that he may be liable to ground rent payable to you.
We have some electric gizmoid or other that comes onto our land from SWEB
and are paid some very unprincely annual sum, as a result.
If none of the above appeals to you, ring your local electricity board and
innocently ask them to come and look at these mysterious cables you've found
buried in your garden. I'm assuming they aren't running through any proper
trunking/deeply buried etc?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk