Old 23-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Neighbour Trouble

Kay Easton wrote in news:QIx1y5DcaE6
:

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Why would a gardening group be interested in your travel
arrangements, unless it's to a horticultural show?

Personally I find the little diversion very instructive. Either you
haven't been on Usenet very long, Sacha, or you view it through rose
(and delphinium) tinted spectacles.

Since the very beginning of newsgroups, threads have drifted.

There is a big difference between topic related groups such as urg and
wibble groups like sheds, scones and the caff.

And the main thing that keeps topical groups topical, is the willingness of
regulars to protest when thread drift gets silly. Which urglers have been
doing for many years: good on them. I am fairly sure that Sacha has been
similarly reprimanded in her time: I think I have too...

I confess I had not noticed things had got *that* silly as I killfiled the
current major participants some time ago ;-)

Traditionally, don't we usually have these arguments a little later in the
year? February is favorite, ISTR. Must be the dry summer...

Victoria
Old 23-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:27:33 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Is that your real e-mail address if I take some bits out?
I can hardly carry on like this, without getting my knuckles rapped
again

My metre rule is firmly held behind my back. I expect to need to go to
Belgium at some time in the future innit.

buying trees?

Selling pre war (WWI) photos, mainly of Bruges.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 23-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Ophelia

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .

Try to grow up, Ophelia. It really won't hurt you a bit.

How would you know have you tried it?

You may have noticed that I marked that falconry post OT.

But what has falconry to do with this ng? I don't care if you put OT or
not. I would never dream of moaning about it. but then regardless of what
you say.. I have more manners than you... and much more tolerance. Protest
all you will

You may also
notice that I and most other posters here do that when we go off OT, as

all
of us do at times. You and Martin are persistently and consistently OT

but
without the courtesy of warning the rest of us that you intend to behave

as
if you were sitting in your own living room.

Then killfile us)

Marking posts OT means that others who wish to skip or kill file OT posts
can do so. You OTOH, are so selfish and so rude that you imagine your
playground quality one line 'quips' are worth forcing upon us ALL. This

has
nothing to do with me being a moderator or indeed, anyone else being so.

It
IS to do with asking you to remember what this group is for and it's not

for
your personal life.

Nor yours Madam

kettle, pot and black spring to mind. Perhaps you ought to take your own
advice. If you don't like it killfile me.. please) I shall most
certainly killfile you. You are such a whinging misery I really don't care
to see any more of your posts

Happy Christmas old bean and do try to get at least a small humour
transplant You are such a bossy boots, I really wonder who you think you
are? Remember you are nothing to me and I don't give a tinker's cuss about
you or your moaning. Carry on but I shan't see I shall do as I wish!

PLONK

Ophelia

Old 23-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 8
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

Traditionally, don't we usually have these arguments a little later in the
year? February is favorite, ISTR. Must be the dry summer...

It looks like February outside.

I think the flames are to thaw the chill out of our poor old bones.

creak

I've just been out moving a heap of weeds and débris to the compost
heap, pulling up some nettles and adding those, and cutting back a small
tangle of brambles.

It was so dim this afternoon I thought it must be nearer four than two
thirty, as it turned out to be. There's still a rose on one of the
bushes. Like a beacon it was, in the gloom.

/creak
cold, damp feet

I feel a flame coming on....

/feet

Old 23-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Why would a gardening group be interested in your travel
arrangements,

Urg has been here before, Sacha. It seems to be an infectious disease
caught in killfiles.

Prophecy for 2004;

M starts an off-shore travel agency and uses urg to advertise
re-unions and cruises for urglers who aren't interested in gardening. O
joins Kleeneze, sells a record number of brooms, and uses urg to recruit
more salespersons.

Janet.

Old 23-12-2003, 07:34 PM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: The message
: from Sacha contains these words:
:
: Why would a gardening group be interested in your travel
: arrangements,
:
: Urg has been here before, Sacha. It seems to be an infectious disease
: caught in killfiles.
:
: Prophecy for 2004;
:
: M starts an off-shore travel agency and uses urg to advertise
: re-unions and cruises for urglers who aren't interested in gardening. O
: joins Kleeneze, sells a record number of brooms, and uses urg to recruit
: more salespersons.
:
: Janet.
:
I'm not quite sure which 'M' you are referring to here, Janet :O))
I *thought* you were going to say that 'O' would fly away on one of the
brooms :O))

Old 23-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

M starts an off-shore travel agency and uses urg to advertise
re-unions and cruises for urglers who aren't interested in gardening. O
joins Kleeneze, sells a record number of brooms, and uses urg to recruit
more salespersons.

When I was an anklebiter in the 'forties the Kleeneezee Man was a portly
little rubicund fellow with a trilby who did his rounds on a tricycle
with a big box on the front - like an ice-cream thingy of the time.

Can I join? I may find my lost youth somewhere on my rounds.

Old 23-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Ophelia

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

M starts an off-shore travel agency and uses urg to advertise
re-unions and cruises for urglers who aren't interested in gardening. O
joins Kleeneze, sells a record number of brooms, and uses urg to recruit
more salespersons.

When I was an anklebiter in the 'forties the Kleeneezee Man was a portly
little rubicund fellow with a trilby who did his rounds on a tricycle
with a big box on the front - like an ice-cream thingy of the time.

Can I join? I may find my lost youth somewhere on my rounds.

You want to join my Kleeneze gang? If you do I will make sure you get a
trilby

Old 23-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Ophelia

"K" wrote in message

[...]

Yep with my bestest pointy hat

Old 23-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I'm not quite sure which 'M' you are referring to here, Janet :O))
I *thought* you were going to say that 'O' would fly away on one of the
brooms :O))

Yep with my bestest pointy hat

Hey! you'll be treading on Anne J's toes if you're not careful.

Old 23-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these words:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Why would a gardening group be interested in your travel
arrangements, unless it's to a horticultural show?

Personally I find the little diversion very instructive. Either you
haven't been on Usenet very long, Sacha, or you view it through rose
(and delphinium) tinted spectacles.

Your mistake; Sacha has been contributing to urg for very many years.
Both she and urg have a long reputation for being polite on-topic and
patient most of the time.

Janet.

Old 23-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Ophelia23/12/03 7:11

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .

Foxes go into peoples' gardens, Ophelia. They dig in them, they crap on
them, they empty dustbins. You may be so busy talking about yourself

that
you've failed to notice that. At some point, a lot of us who live in

the
country are affected by foxes, whatever we may or may not feel about

the
hunting of them.
*I* suggest you take your private life to email. It's a polite and
reasonable request, after all. I may say that the fallback of every
ill-mannered poster is to accuse others of wishing to be moderators and

you
do NOT break that particular mould, unfortunately.

..... and spam software Sacha; falconry? I notice you ignored those)

I suggest you take off your prefect's badge. It must be very old now.

notice you don't like the wannabe moderator badge Unfortunately, you

are
trying to BE one I haven't seen a vote around here putting you in

charge.
Maybe I missed the off topic election.

Ophelia

Try to grow up, Ophelia. It really won't hurt you a bit.
You may have noticed that I marked that falconry post OT. You may also
[...]

Sacha, I admire your knowledge of gardening matters. I mean it.
Please stick to posting *only* on such topics, because you have not one
ounce of humour and should therefore steer well clear of admonishing poor
simple minded folk like us..
Please let us idiots amuse ourselves by posting trivial off- topic thoughts
in the off-season.
You don't actually have to read those trivial posts.

Have a happy new year

Franz

Old 24-12-2003, 10:33 AM
Ophelia

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I'm not quite sure which 'M' you are referring to here, Janet :O))
I *thought* you were going to say that 'O' would fly away on one of

the
brooms :O))

Yep with my bestest pointy hat

Hey! you'll be treading on Anne J's toes if you're not careful.

Who? Anyway I have been playing with that for years)