Old 08-01-2004, 09:07 AM
martin

Default Got me seeds today

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:04:20 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

That is only following a UK precedent. The Ministry of Food was
very keen on treating them as fruit in the 1940s.

The tale I heard was - jam is made from fruit, the Portuguese make
carrot jam, therefore carrot is a fruit.

Ah, so it's the Portugese - I had an idea it was the Belgians, but I
knew it was *SOMEONE*!

I suspect it's an urban legend.
--
Martin
Old 08-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| What is not said by the people who quote it is that, until we joined
| the EU, it was perfectly legal (in the UK) to describe a conserve made
| out of turnips and woodchips and describe it as "100% natural raspberry
| jam". It may even have been legal to describe it as "100% pure fruit
| raspberry jam".
|
| I think that practice was knocked on the head in the '50s. ...
|
| ICBA to google for it, but I'd guess that the Trades Descriptons Act
| probably predated any Common market rule to that effect, and it predated
| the EU by a very long time.

Yes, which is why I posted what I did.

A very senior judge (in the Appeal Court, if I recall) said "the
word 'natural' has no meaning in English law". Also, there was a
similar case, where it was held that the word 'raspberry' (or
equivalent) was descriptive of the product and not the contents.
With regard to lemon or orange squash, if I recall.

So "100% natural raspberry jam" could be applied to a turnip and
woodchip conserve, right up until the time we started applying EU
regulations, unless the practice of adding woodchips was banned.
But the use of solely turnips was definitely legal.

The reason that it stopped, and raspberry jams started including
at least a detectable proportion of raspberries, was the increasing
power of the press. 'Naming and shaming' did and does work against
such things.

"100% pure fruit raspberry jam" would depend on whether the English
courts held that turnips could be described as a fruit or not, and
I don't know the answer to that. It is likely, but not certain.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:49:23 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

PS. I always forget, is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

Depends upon your point of view. :-)

In the US:

http://www.oldhouseweb.net/gardening/Detailed/674.shtml
Old 08-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered User

PS. I always forget, is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

Depends upon your point of view. :-)

I made chilli "jam" this year. Not sure whether they are fruits or vegetables, I guess similar to a tomato.

If anyone wants the recipe - about 80% tomatoes, 20% chillis. Add loads of nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice, etc. whatever you have. Then make as per normal fruit jam, straining off the pulp before adding the sugar. It sounds disgusting and tastes very hot before setting, but once set, is absolutely delicious. A bit like any red fruit jam, but with a kick in the tail.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Frogleg
writes
wrote:

PS. I always forget, is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

Depends upon your point of view. :-)

ie whether you're talking as a botanist or a cook.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Registered User

ie whether you're talking as a botanist or a cook.

Botanists and cooks think the same. Botanists and horticulturalists differ in opinion (according to link posted by frogleg).
Old 08-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Registered User

What sort of chillis and 20% by volume or weight? If they are hot chillis and it was 20% by weight, that would be quite impressive!

20% by volume. The chillis were a mixture of "Bacio di Satana" (Satan's kiss, very hot) and Fresno (reasonably hot). The tomatoes were "Principe Borghese" (small italian tomatoes) and good old Gardeners Delight.

What struck me was that the mixture was very hot to the taste before setting (I really thought I had messed up as it was too hot to eat comfortably), but once set, you cannot taste the chilli at once if you eat it neat. Only after swallowing do you notice it. On toast, you hardly notice it at all in the mouth, only once swallowed.

If you don't like chillis you can make a standard tomato marmalade/jam just leaving out the chillis (there are many recipes on the net), although this tastes a bit bland after the chilli jam! I just adapted one of these by throwing in loads of chillis as an experiment.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:34:01 GMT, Martin Bates wrote:

PS. I always forget, is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

Depends upon your point of view. :-)

I made chilli "jam" this year. Not sure whether they are fruits or
vegetables, I guess similar to a tomato.

If anyone wants the recipe - about 80% tomatoes, 20% chillis. Add loads
of nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice, etc. whatever you have. Then make as
per normal fruit jam, straining off the pulp before adding the sugar.
It sounds disgusting and tastes very hot before setting, but once set,
is absolutely delicious. A bit like any red fruit jam, but with a kick
in the tail.

Sounds more like a chutney than anything else.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 09-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered User

Sounds more like a chutney than anything else.

It's nothing like a chutney. Water is added to the tomatoes and simmered, then strained. No vinegars are used like in a traditional English chutney. Only the strained liquid is used, all the pulp is removed and then sugar added. If you eat tomato marmalade, you would think it was a normal red fruit jam. It also looks very similar to any red fruit jam that has been strained before setting. I've eaten all I made, otherwise I would have attached a jpg.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Christopher Norton

The message m
from Martin Bates contains
these words:

[...]

The sugar in the mixture helps to calm the hot spots on your tongue.
It`s why mango chutney with a curry helps.