Old 14-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Rick

Default Damned cats!!!

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:19:22 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "mich" contains these words:
"Jim S" wrote in message
Yes, we all have problems with cats(me included)! I tried allsorts

but,
but
i would of thought a persons pet may come a bit in front of a plant!

Even
for the people whos only freind is a plant!

Cats dont like other cats! They are very territorial, so if you want to stop
cats using your garden as a loo GET A CAT of your own ( and put a litter
tray out for it. Most cats prefer a litter tray anyway).

Cats are the best rat and mouse deterrent too.

Add songbirds, amphibians and reptiles to that and you're about there.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2937420.stm

Old 14-03-2004, 12:33 PM
mich

"Jim S" wrote in message

Cats dont like other cats! They are very territorial, so if you want to

stop
cats using your garden as a loo GET A CAT of your own ( and put a

litter
tray out for it. Most cats prefer a litter tray anyway).

Cats are the best rat and mouse deterrent too.

Add songbirds, amphibians and reptiles to that and you're about there.

cats are natural preditors but birds, frogs etc. are aware of this and live
with it, just as they do in the wild with wild cats and larger felines.
I have a cat ( and so does every other house in my village) and I have
dozens of birds, including thrushes, sparrows, and even a bat populaion,
and some pretty rare visitors on occassions. It doesnt seem to have affected
them in any way.
In four years my amphibian population has quadrupled ( judging from the
number in the pond at mating time)
meanwhile the mice who were wintering in my loft have departed this earth
and I havent had anymore in..

Old 14-03-2004, 12:34 PM
mich

"Rick" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:58:01 -0000, "mich"
wrote:

..

I don't like cats!!!!!

I DO like having my garden full of birds and wildlife.

If you want a cat, KEEP IT INDOORS.

Most cats spend most of the day indoors any way. they also spend most of
their time sleeping.
Its their natural habit. Only a prejudiced twit wouldnt know that.

Old 14-03-2004, 12:35 PM
mich

"Jim S" wrote in message

Cats are the best rat and mouse deterrent too.

Add songbirds, amphibians and reptiles to that and you're about there.

We dont know what is causing the decline actually, and cats have been around
for thousands of years so they cannot explain why now there a decline and
not before!! The Dodo didnt die out from other animal predation, it died
from human predation. Most of the wildlife in danger from extinction on
this earth is in danger from HUMANS not other animals.

Try human activity as the main culprit. Changes in farming and agreculture
, covering miles of earth with concrete building houses with tichy gardens
that people like you get precious about and then claim you have "no time" to
maintain so call in the ilk of dairimud gavin et al to concrete over for
you and call it "garden art" and "low maintainance".

Try no decent british native hedges ( too many bloody leylandii and
neighbours from hell) and decent roof eves for birds to nest.

Try the draining of natural ponds and lakes to build houses on the land to
accommodate all those humans who cant live with each other and have to get a
divorce and live alone!

Try industrial wate, pollutants and chemicals in the water courses.

Blame yourself , not the cat! Like everything lese, humans are killers and
they are the biggest killers.

Old 14-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

[...]

You're trying to tell me that cats *DON'T* predate songbirds, amphibians
and reptiles?

Try no decent british native hedges ( too many bloody leylandii and
neighbours from hell) and decent roof eves for birds to nest.

My garden is a wildlife haven, and but for the neighbours' cats, would
be even more so. This year, when I have my bargeboards replaced, they
will include nest boxes for house sparrows and others for bats - the
latter after consultation with the local bat group.

Try the draining of natural ponds and lakes to build houses on the land to
accommodate all those humans who cant live with each other and have to get a
divorce and live alone!

There's an abundance of ponds here - practically every old house has one
because they are built from the clay (with additives) beside the
dwelling or outhouse.

Try industrial wate, pollutants and chemicals in the water courses.

We don't get a lot of that here, and when it does happen, the penalties
applied are severe.

Blame yourself , not the cat! Like everything lese, humans are killers and
they are the biggest killers.

I blame the humans who keep the cats - they are exacerbating an already
critical position.

I would agree that human activity is largely to blame for the decline in
many species, though not all. Diseases are believed to have reduced the
house sparrow population to its present level of a tiny fraction of what
it was forty years ago, for instance.

It might hearten you to learn that many farmers round here (and I don't
expect East Anglia is unique) are replanting hedges, leaving headlands
uncultivated and generally using 'greener' methods of cultivation. Of
course, I wouldn't credit them all with doing this from totally
altruistic motives - the Government and the EC are at last waking up to
the situation and offer subsidies....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 14-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Mike

I blame the humans who keep the cats - they are exacerbating an already
critical position.

AND allowing their vermin to crap in my garden. Shoot the bloody lot of
them, owners as well.