Old 14-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Mike

Default Damned cats!!!

I blame the humans who keep the cats - they are exacerbating an already
critical position.

AND allowing their vermin to crap in my garden. Shoot the bloody lot of
them, owners as well.

Old 14-03-2004, 11:37 PM
mich

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "mich" contains these words:

You're trying to tell me that cats *DON'T* predate songbirds, amphibians
and reptiles?

NO! Read what I said! I said that cats have predated on birds and other
creatures ( as i n nature red in tooth and claw) for thousands of years and
the song bird population, the amphibian population and all else has survived
and even thrived. Its only in recent times this problem has occurred. The
major change during that time has been in HUMAN activity. hence , it is
HUMANs and NOT CATS who are the pivotal factor in the chain which is
leading to decline. As indeed historically they always have been.

Try no decent british native hedges ( too many bloody leylandii and
neighbours from hell) and decent roof eves for birds to nest.

My garden is a wildlife haven, and but for the neighbours' cats, would
be even more so. This year, when I have my bargeboards replaced, they
will include nest boxes for house sparrows and others for bats - the
latter after consultation with the local bat group.

My garden thrives even though there are many cats in the area - are you sure
about your analysis?
cats dont catch everything they go after, and moreover , its not in their
interests to kill to extinction. They always save some "seed" for the
future meal! They are not stupid. Only humans can be that stupid.

I would agree that human activity is largely to blame for the decline in
many species, though not all. Diseases are believed to have reduced the
house sparrow population to its present level of a tiny fraction of what
it was forty years ago, for instance.

It might hearten you to learn that many farmers round here (and I don't
expect East Anglia is unique) are replanting hedges, leaving headlands
uncultivated and generally using 'greener' methods of cultivation. Of
course, I wouldn't credit them all with doing this from totally

Well that isnt rue where I live (Cornwall) the local farmer ( in the
singular) is ploughing the guts out of the land!
He uses hormones and chemicals I cant even begin to identify. I do know
though that they are so potent that even a microscopic concentration of
them in the wind one day a couple of years ago curled and killed my tomato
plants amongst other thngs. It looked like a virus had got them, nut it was
his chemical applications that did for 'um! Found out afterwards.

The nitrates in the water draining off the fields when it rains has to be
seen to be believed ( of course no one sees it , because I am the only
neighbour who has to use the lane and see the mess)

If his methods do that to my tomatoes, what is it doing the wildlife?.