Old 06-10-2004, 08:07 AM
The Reids

Default Salmonella and lettuce

As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
Are there implications here for the home producer? I would have
thought salmonella would be most likely found in raw chicken
manure, what about horse manure, can we assume herbivores are
safe?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 06-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:07:10 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

| As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
| radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
| caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
| Are there implications here for the home producer? I would have
| thought salmonella would be most likely found in raw chicken
| manure, what about horse manure, can we assume herbivores are
| safe?

Strictly *nothing* is *absolutely* safe, be it getting up in the morning or
staying in bed. Herbivores also have various nasties in their guts.
All soil contains various nasties.

The problem here was IMO almost certainly caused by a problem in *one*
field, and the salmonella was transported all over Europe in lorries.
This has happened before.

The general advice about salads has always been to wash them before eating.

Home growers should IMO continue as normal, the worst thing that can happen
is that you can give your family the runs, and the EHOs will never notice
that.

--
Dave F

Old 06-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Franz Heymann

"The Reids" wrote in message
As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
Are there implications here for the home producer?

Of course. So much for organic gardening.

Franz Heymann

Old 06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
The Reids

Following up to Dave and Jim

The problem here was IMO almost certainly caused by a problem in *one*
field, and the salmonella was transported all over Europe in lorries.
This has happened before.

Lets not get polorised on the dangers of food poisoning.

This outbreak is limited to a fast food companies outlets in UK.

What interests me is any precautions that might (or not) be
appropriate to the use of horse manure on allotments?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:04 AM
David Hill

I don't think that there has ever been a problem of this sort from British
grown lettuce.
It seems as if this was all from lettuce used by one chain of Burger outlet
(MMakes you think).
I should think that the results of the salmonella would remove any beef from
the system that could cause mad cow disease.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-10-2004, 10:48 AM
bigboard

Franz Heymann wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message
As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
Are there implications here for the home producer?

Of course. So much for organic gardening.

Franz Heymann

Organic gardening is proved as worthless because someone didn't wash the
shit of some lettuce? Or have I misunderstood your point?

--
"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit
longer."

Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 AM
The Reids

Following up to Jim Webster

Franz Heymann

prat

Jim, your sig file is a little over the recommended 4 lines max.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
jane

wrote:

~As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
~radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
~caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
~Are there implications here for the home producer? I would have
~thought salmonella would be most likely found in raw chicken
~manure, what about horse manure, can we assume herbivores are
~safe?
~--

I think there's an outbreak of lack of common sense rather than of
salmonella. Anything that grows in the ground should be well-washed
before eating, regardless of what it was grown in. Anyone who grows
their own veg would wash it automatically, as it tends to be muddy
and all manures contain nasties when you think about it...

I'd have thought the danger would be in supermarket stuff which has
only been roughly washed and which people think is safe to eat
straight out of the packet.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 06-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:46:01 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

| Following up to Dave and Jim
|
| The problem here was IMO almost certainly caused by a problem in *one*
| field, and the salmonella was transported all over Europe in lorries.
| This has happened before.
|
| Lets not get polorised on the dangers of food poisoning.
|
| This outbreak is limited to a fast food companies outlets in UK.
|
| What interests me is any precautions that might (or not) be
| appropriate to the use of horse manure on allotments?

IMO Wash things which have been in contact with soil or any manures.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail? Register your family

Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:06:41 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message
.. .
As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
Are there implications here for the home producer?

Of course. So much for organic gardening.

This is precisely the sort of apathetic, generalised hogwash that the
biochemical industry wants everyone to believe - you're not safe
unless you've sprayed, dusted and treated anything and everything that
moves..and plenty more that doesn't.

The fact of the matter is that unless you grow your produce in a
sterile environment you're at risk from any number of diseases,
salmonella being just one of them - and given the number of possible
vectors of this particular disease it's not enough to assume that
simply using biochemicals is enough to prevent contamination.

In any event, I saw no mention that the lettuces were organically
grown. The presence of horse manure isn't a sufficient basis upon
which to draw that conclusion - and considering the destination of the
lettuces I think it highly unlikely that they were.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
sarah

The Reids wrote:

Following up to Jim Webster

Franz Heymann

prat

Jim, your sig file is a little over the recommended 4 lines max.

S'not Jim, at least not as we know him, Captain.
Jim Webster is a respectable poster to UBA; what we have here is a
disreputable troll with no imagination.

regards
sarah
--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
sarah

Franz Heymann wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message
As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
Are there implications here for the home producer?

Of course. So much for organic gardening.

If you forgot the sarcasm, I apologise for the following:

Fool.

Manure is used by both organic and conventional systems. Salmonella is
present in most faeces, including those of wild birds. Which droppeth as
the gentle rain from heaven on organic and conventional produce alike.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:36 PM
The Reids

Following up to Nick Maclaren

Jim, your sig file is a little over the recommended 4 lines max.

And your net nannying is OTT.

I suppose a 100 or so line sigfile after a one word post isn't
over the top in your book? As the most extreme post/sig ratio
I've seen I felt a mild wry comment was not inappropriate.

Get a life.

get a sense of irony or if you cant afford that a sense of
sarcasm?
Old 06-10-2004, 01:36 PM
The Reids

Following up to Stephen Howard

In any event, I saw no mention that the lettuces were organically
grown. The presence of horse manure isn't a sufficient basis upon
which to draw that conclusion - and considering the destination of the
lettuces I think it highly unlikely that they were.

only "manure" was mentioned, I assumed chicken?
Old 06-10-2004, 01:36 PM
The Reids

Following up to sarah

including those of wild birds. Which droppeth as
the gentle rain from heaven on organic and conventional produce alike.

luckily unlike horse manure. Pegasus aside.