Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Neil Catley

Default harvesting chilis

Hi all,
I have two chilli plants bearing fruit on my windowsil - I dont know the
exact varieties as they came from a mixed packet of seed, but I think one is
a birdseye (small fruit growing upwards) and one is a habenero (large bulb
like fruit - looks like the habeneros I see in the shops!).
My question is, when and how do I harvest them ?? Some are starting to turn
red, so I assume they're OK to pick but what is the longest I should leave
them - will they fall off when they are 'over ripened' ?? Also, what is the
best method for picking them - do I cut the stem holding the fruit close to
the main stem or close to the fruit ?? Shouwl I leave any of the fruit's
stem attached to the main stem ??

This is the first year I hav grown chillis - advice would be much
appreciated !

Thanks,
Neil

Heirloom Chilis or Peppers? Crystal Braun Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2007 03:11 PM
Container size for chilis and tomatillos Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2004 08:10 PM
Jalapeno chilis Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 27-12-2003 09:32 AM
How do I use/store my red chilis? Kevin Miller Edible Gardening 5 29-09-2003 04:32 AM
Storing chilis? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 9 22-08-2003 08:12 PM