Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Stake or no stake tomato

"FDR" wrote:

For the past few years I have used only cages, an this year I wanted to try
a staked vs. caged trail but both plants died. For some reason this year
most of my cages fell over and crushed other tomatoes, so it's been a mess.
It's made me really consider doing all staked next year, but I have
reservations since your posting.

You may have better success...lots do use stakes. The only problem I
had like that was with one trough container that tipped over three
times during windy weather. The whole trough+cage fell over. I had
some very tall plants there and it blew over repeatedly. Another cage
on top of a container never blew over. Maybe that plant just had good
aerodynamics.

I didn't experience cages coming out of the ground and blowing over,
not even when stacked 5+' high. These cages have 8" spikes that sink
into the ground. That was enough for them--although we didn't get any
tropical storms or hurricane-like weather here.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener