Old 21-03-2006, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Arman" wrote in message

what are you doing in my thread? if you don't have any valid
suggestions ... please go crap in your own thread. and if you aren't

troll .. i don't know who else qualifies to it !!!!

You have an animal whose way of living involves mischief and

destruction
if
not watched constantly. You stated this yourself, although you don't

like
it
being stated a different way. Don't complain when the animal does

exactly
what it's expected to do.

which is something dog owners take into account when owning them. Kids
destroy things and cost a shit load of money and still destroy things as
they get older (like cars, nights sleep and bank balances) but we still
have
them as well.

rob

Yeah, but as the years pass by, most kids become adults. Dogs, on the

other
hand, are just as disgusting and destructive regardless of their age.

no, both my dogs have grown more sedate with age. Even hyper active puppy
has moderated. She may still be bouncy but is knows the limits now. Older
lazy mutt was lazy as a pup but gets lazier with age.

As it is, some destructive kids grow into even more vile adults. We have
things called prisons for them.

rob

Old 21-03-2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

Dogs are the same way. You can assume certain things about
them. Make a list of 10 possible things an unattended dog
might do, and if 9 of those things are stupid, destructive
or annoying, you can bet a year's pay that the dog will
choose one or more of those 9 things 100% of the time. The
only acceptable thing it might do is sleep. The other 9
include such delights as crapping on the rug, crapping
specifically where innocent people need to walk, barking
until the police arrive, biting someone, chewing furniture,
wrapping their leashes around trees until they're choking
(a good thing, actually, but still stupid), digging in
neighbors' gardens.

i realize your neighbors are idiots & have badly trained
dogs, but not all, or even most, dogs are like that. really.
i'm NOT a dog person, but 99% of problem dogs are stupid
owners... not only that, but most of those problem dogs could
fairly easily be retrained to be good dogs if thier owners
cared.

Well, that's mostly correct. Too many owners have those stupid

extendable
leash things, and let their dogs run 30 feet into other peoples'
property,
which often means "right in the flower beds". I ask them politely to

not
let
their dogs stop in my yard in the future, and they say "Well...I'm

gonna
clean it up". Ummm...no. The dog just ****ed on my flower bed, and I'm

2
minutes away from wanting to work with my hands in that very spot.

wear gloves, end of problem.

And, even
if they clean up the crap, the scent remains and attracts stray dogs,
something I've observed for over 25 years. So, the only acceptable

response,
when I tell them to do it elsewhere, is "Yes. OK." But, as I've
mentioned
elsewhere, dogs train humans to do what's convenient

like wearing gardening gloves

rob

You said I should wear gloves. Do you understand that by saying that,

you've
stepped into a logical and legal quagmire, and that a judge would lead

your
around his/her courtroom by the nose until you confessed to being silly?
Here's what the judge would probably ask you to think about. You notice

some
noise outside your house. You step outside and see someone spray painting
words on your house in day-glo orange. While your wife's calling the cops,
you restrain the guy and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing. He

says
"Wear a blindfold, or stay inside and don't look".

When the police arrive, what would you expect them to do? How would you
expect all of it to proceed, from start to finish? Most important, which
basic law was broken when the person spray painted your house? Hint: The

law
is basically the same everywhere in the United States, Canada, and most of
Europe.

major problem in your analogy, spray painting property (public or private)
is deemed a crime. A dog ****ing in your garden is not. Not picking up dog
crap in a public place is punishable by a local body fine. No local body has
yet figured out how to make a dog owner pick up dog ****.

Far easier for them to insist people who have problems with dog **** wear
gardening gloves I would imagine.

On the matter of urine Doug, where does your own urine go? Or your pooh? Do
you dispose of it on your own property or is it pumped to a municipal waste
treatment facility? What potential harm is your own crap doing to water
ways, local and global? Can I insist you only dump in your own back yard?

rob

Old 21-03-2006, 09:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
Arman wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

I feel your pain...
I got a new six pound little yorkie for Christmas. This cute yorkie in
three months, has dumped two house plants and scattered them all over
the living room carpet. Chewed the bark off some of my outside rose
bushes.

I have tried to doggie proof my home by putting the plants on higher
tables, making it difficult for this little yorkie (half dog, half cat
and half fox) to be so destructive.

my comments are not aimed at you, but rather at the dog haters so please
don't take offence. You talk about dog proofing your house. That to me seems
a sensible option as a dog owner until the mutt learns the house rules.

Is this not something we do as parents, child proof our house? Do we style
our environment to safe guard it (and our possessions) from small children
roaming or do we simply say 'Johnny is a naughty little shit because he will
**** his pants, crap in the corner, get into the cupboards and maybe swallow
some poison' and turn into a kid hater.

rob

Old 21-03-2006, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

[...]

You're making this too complicated. If a homeowner tells you to take your
dog elsewhere, you have no choice but to obey. Otherwise, you've committed
civil trespass. That's illegal, and you can be arrested for it. The person
spray painting your house has committed the same crime, along with one or
two others.

When I walk my dogs I exercise control to ensure they **** in appropriate
places. If the mutt wanders onto someones property I go and retrieve it. I
don't make it a habit Doug of encouraging my mutts to **** in neighbours
gardens. Most all dog owners I know exercise the same approach. I doubt the
police will be too concerned with my walking on to someones property to
retrieve my dog.

As far as where my excrement goes, that's a silly question. I don't do it

in
places where I need to work with my hands. If you think it's cute to let
your dog **** where someone needs to work,

and that is a highly subjective measure Doug, 'where someone needs to work',
and requires a degree of omnipotence. I am not always able to forsee where a
person may want to work when walking my dogs. Clearly I do not expect anyone
to want to work on the tree in the next 5 minutes or a bushy clump of weeds
along the front wall of their section. Whilst efforts are made to ensure
dogs **** in areas that will not cause a problem, on the odd occasion they
**** in someones garden that someone then wants to weed, a philosophical
approach by the gsrdener is by far the best approach. Garden gloves are very
simple things to use.

rob

Old 21-03-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Arman" wrote in message

what are you doing in my thread? if you don't have any valid
suggestions ... please go crap in your own thread. and if you aren't a

Old 21-03-2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

Old 21-03-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

nahhh... it doesnt work that way. I also try dragging them out of the house by their
leash to teach em not to cross the threshold. when I say "heeL" they fall right in
next to me and they are always a good dog. and I drag them but never say their name.
Ingrid

"J.R. in MI" wrote:

wrote:
sigh. it is a training thing. put a leash on them. walk them up to the plant,
point to it, yell no and haul them away.

This is not good, teaching them it's bad to follow your lead. Try
mouse traps, immediate and virtually harmless reinforcement.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 21-03-2006, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Arman wrote in
:

i strongly suspect doggy boredom, so try taking care of
that first. if the plant pots are not very accessable to
the child, you might try a solar powered electric fence
around them. my son knew all about electric fences at 2,
so if you can explain not touching the wires, your child
should be ok. oh, you could possibly use an invisble fence
to keep the dogs out too... i just use electric fence for
my dogs because thier play area is fed off my pasture
fencing.

thank you for the suggestion. my skin kid is now 1.5 yrs
old and my fur kids are now 4 yrs old, so i guess the
mothballs are out. where did u get ur fence? how much did
it cost to get it installed?

we installed our own fencing... we have electric fencing for
our livestock pasture, so we just put in temporary fence poles
(used for dividing pasture usually) & strung electric fence
wire at 1', 2' & 4' (my dogs are big). then we ran a wire from
the pasture fence to the dog fence to charge it.
basic livestock fencing isn't too expensive. the chargers are
the most expensive part (unless you get rolls of portable
fence. that stuff is expensive!). chargers here costs around
US$80-100, for under 5 miles.
i think you might want to look for a local 'invisible fence'
supplier. they install a radio fence line below ground & the
dogs wear a collar with a transponder. if they get too close
to the buried line, they get a shock. the advantage to that
over electric fence is the child won't accidentally get
shocked by touching the fence.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 21-03-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

"Arman" wrote in message

[...]

And (many) adults are not disgusting and destructive?

Persephone
Old 22-03-2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L.

In article ,
Arman wrote:

[...]

I have seen a product called "Scat Mat" which is like barbed wire that
is made with plastic instead of metal at http://www.gardeners.com I have
not purchased it yet and I do not know if it works.

I have also found an excellent dog training book called, "Good Owners,
Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons". A very useful book!

I hope this response helps
Dan.............
Do not respond by email, I hope it doesn't work

--
No email or junk mail please. The address above should not work (I hope).

Old 22-03-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

I look for used dogs, around age 2 is good. they are thru all the chewing and
destruction by that time. their size, temperament, personality are all pretty well
set... give needy dogs a good home, and most of them are neutered already.
Ingrid

"Dan L." wrote:
I feel your pain...
I got a new six pound little yorkie for Christmas. This cute yorkie in
three months, has dumped two house plants and scattered them all over
the living room carpet. Chewed the bark off some of my outside rose
bushes.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 22-03-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

[...]

your dog **** where someone needs to work, why not let your animal **** on
your kitchen counters, your remote controls, your ironing board, and your
steering wheel?

Old 23-03-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"George.com" wrote in message

You're making this too complicated. If a homeowner tells you to take your
dog elsewhere, you have no choice but to obey. Otherwise, you've
committed
civil trespass. That's illegal, and you can be arrested for it. The
person
spray painting your house has committed the same crime, along with one or
two others.

When I walk my dogs I exercise control to ensure they **** in appropriate
places. If the mutt wanders onto someones property I go and retrieve it. I
don't make it a habit Doug of encouraging my mutts to **** in neighbours
gardens. Most all dog owners I know exercise the same approach. I doubt
the
police will be too concerned with my walking on to someones property to
retrieve my dog.

If a property owner tells you not to enter, you have no choice but to
comply. Your opinion is of no consequence.

As far as where my excrement goes, that's a silly question. I don't do it

in
places where I need to work with my hands. If you think it's cute to let
your dog **** where someone needs to work,

and that is a highly subjective measure Doug, 'where someone needs to
work',
and requires a degree of omnipotence. I am not always able to forsee where
person may want to work when walking my dogs. Clearly I do not expect
anyone
to want to work on the tree in the next 5 minutes or a bushy clump of
weeds
along the front wall of their section.

You're in no position to assume ANYTHING about another person's property. If
this is not true, then, if I want to apply sealer to my driveway on a nice
warm day, it'll be OK with you if I park my car in YOUR driveway, blocking
in your cars for the 48 hours it takes for my driveway to be ready for use
again. Clearly, I do not expect anyone in your house to want to drive
anywhere in the next 48 hours.

Whilst efforts are made to ensure
dogs **** in areas that will not cause a problem, on the odd occasion they
**** in someones garden that someone then wants to weed, a philosophical
approach by the gsrdener is by far the best approach. Garden gloves are
very
simple things to use.

rob

Garden gloves covered in **** are not my idea of a good time. However, I
understand that some people get sort of a sick thrill out of playing with
human waste. It's a treatable condition.

Mind if I ask how old you are?

Old 24-03-2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

not my point, not the point I was making

[...]

again, not my point.

Whilst efforts are made to ensure
dogs **** in areas that will not cause a problem, on the odd occasion

they
**** in someones garden that someone then wants to weed, a philosophical
approach by the gsrdener is by far the best approach. Garden gloves are
very
simple things to use.

rob

Garden gloves covered in **** are not my idea of a good time. However, I
understand that some people get sort of a sick thrill out of playing with
human waste. It's a treatable condition.

Mind if I ask how old you are?

35

Old 24-03-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"George.com" wrote in message

If a property owner tells you not to enter, you have no choice but to
comply. Your opinion is of no consequence.

not my point, not the point I was making

You're in no position to assume ANYTHING about another person's property.
If this is not true, then, if I want to apply sealer to my driveway on a
nice
warm day, it'll be OK with you if I park my car in YOUR driveway,
blocking
in your cars for the 48 hours it takes for my driveway to be ready for
use
again. Clearly, I do not expect anyone in your house to want to drive
anywhere in the next 48 hours.

again, not my point.

Two "not my points" in a row. How convenient. What *IS* your point?

Mind if I ask how old you are?

35

Thank you.