Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Property Line Looks Like A Jungle (Nad)

EVP MAN wrote:
The thing is Nad, we like our house and I shouldn't have to move just
because of one disrespectful neighbor. Our property line is very
clear as it was surveyed and the survey stakes are at each corner.
Stretch a line from stake to stake and both myself and the neighbor
know where the line is. Yes, I could cut all the bushes that hang
over on my side but then it would be up to me to get rid of all the
brush which isn't easy living in town and driving a sub compact car.
This neighbor has a pickup truck! The point is, I wouldn't do this
to him or any other of my neighbors and I don't like it being done to
me. I don't care at all what he has planted so long as it remains on
his side. I shouldn't have to waste my time or money in any way to
solve this problem.

Too bad, but what grows onto your side is your problem, and it is your right to
deal with it. You can cut off anything growing across the property line unless
doing so will substantially damage the plants. A good neighbor might worry about
your side, and help out. Too bad you don't have one.

I do prune back a hedge I planted on one side of my house from the neighbor's
side every few years. It's just the right thing to do.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

The thing is Nad, we like our house and I shouldn't have to move just
because of one disrespectful neighbor. Our property line is very clear
as it was surveyed and the survey stakes are at each corner. Stretch a
line from stake to stake and both myself and the neighbor know where the
line is. Yes, I could cut all the bushes that hang over on my side but
then it would be up to me to get rid of all the brush which isn't easy
living in town and driving a sub compact car. This neighbor has a
pickup truck! The point is, I wouldn't do this to him or any other of
my neighbors and I don't like it being done to me. I don't care at all
what he has planted so long as it remains on his side. I shouldn't have
to waste my time or money in any way to solve this problem. And YES, I
have plenty of room to plant the cherry trees and I'm sure the birds
will have good enough aim to hit the wash on his clothes line! He don't
like to use the clothes dryer because he told me it's too expensive to
run. The guy saves anything he can get for free. Old busted up plastic
flower containers, broken bricks, you name it and he saves it. He is
20 years older than me and I'm 62 so maybe it won't go on too much
longer. We lived in our home for 15 years now and he lived in his for
50 years. Perhaps that is why he thinks he owns the neighborhood!

Rich

If he is 20 years older than you, he is on a fixed income. Give him a
chance to keep it by giving him the chance to clean up his mess. If you
don't want to do what needs to be done, then shut up.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/4/2011 12:53 AM, Billy wrote:
In ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

I agree now that the situation is further clarified. Someone in their
80's does not have the physical capabilities of someone in their 60's
and may be a little dingy to boot so allowances should be made.

This situation did not develop overnight and the op should have attacked
it in the beginning by trimming when overhang started and had not grown
into a jungle.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Property Line Looks Like A Jungle (Billy)

Well Billy, as far as income goes, I 'm also on a fixed income as I'm
retired and living on social security. He is much better off than
myself money wise. His home is a big duplex with a rental unit, he has
all kinds of investments, social security, big pension from where he
worked plus paid medical insurance from that employer also. I have SS
and that's it. He's in much better health also. I have asthma, heart
problems and can only walk for a few minutes before sitting down awhile.
This is why I took up gardening. It's something I can do here at home
at my own pace. I can no longer hunt or fish which I loved to do.
Think I'll just cut his jungle off that over hangs my side and throw the
debris over on his side for him to deal with. ............... Rich

Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Property Line Looks Like A Jungle

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:36:31 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
A jug of RoundUp... problem solved.

I had an old neighbor who did that to his neighbor. A tree sprayer asked the
victom what happened to the shrubs, and notified the state EPA, who came out and
tested the shrubs, then had a talk with the old man.

Do you honestly think anyone believes your just now made up fairytale,
were it true you'd have offered it way upthread... why do so many on
usenet have to behave like they're still acting out their drunken one
upmanship BS like when they're still sucking down cheap suds at their
favorite watering hole. Btw, the EPA is Federal: http://epa.gov/

Homeowners have a right to eliminate whatever grows over their
property line, unless restricted by laws governing wetlands, etc. This
is a perfect case of wussiness, the OP had a spine, after requesting
cooperation from the neighbor and being greeted with hardnosed
refusal, he'd be out there trimming the offending growth and tossing
it whence it came, the neighbor's side. Every municipality in the US
has laws governing property line encroachment and set backs... the
information for each particular community is very likely on line
(county by county and state by state) and certainly available at the
town clerk's office. Everywhere I've ever lived one could not legally
plant anything or erect any structure (including fences) within so
many feet of the property lines. However people ignore property line
laws (same as all laws) all the time but that in no way alters
neighbor's rights. Many times neighbors agree to erect a fence or
grow a hedge right on the property line and that works so long as one
or the other doesn't sell. In this present case I'm positive that the
answer to the over growth question is readily available for free by a
simple phone call to the town clerk/town attorney. A homeowner would
be embarassed to ask such a question in public, makes me doubt the OP
is the property owner, more a question posed by a tenant.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
A jug of RoundUp... problem solved.

I had an old neighbor who did that to his neighbor. A tree sprayer asked
the victom what happened to the shrubs, and notified the state EPA, who
came out and tested the shrubs, then had a talk with the old man.

Do you honestly think anyone believes your just now made up fairytale,
were it true you'd have offered it way upthread... why do so many on
usenet have to behave like they're still acting out their drunken one
upmanship BS like when they're still sucking down cheap suds at their
favorite watering hole. Btw, the EPA is Federal: http://epa.gov/

Not defending the fairytale, but there are state epa's
http://www.calepa.ca.gov/

Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
A jug of RoundUp... problem solved.

I had an old neighbor who did that to his neighbor. A tree sprayer asked
the
victom what happened to the shrubs, and notified the state EPA, who came
out and
tested the shrubs, then had a talk with the old man.

Do you honestly think anyone believes your just now made up fairytale,
were it true you'd have offered it way upthread... why do so many on
usenet have to behave like they're still acting out their drunken one
upmanship BS like when they're still sucking down cheap suds at their
favorite watering hole. Btw, the EPA is Federal: http://epa.gov/

Why do you accuse him of lieing or of being a boozer? I don't see a problem
with anything he says.

I've heard a story about someone poisoning a neighbour's trees and then
getting into trouble for it but there was no point in my mentioning it since
I don't live in the US and your laws might be different.

But there are at least one example of someone getting in trouble for
poisoning a tree in the US:
http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=77800

Homeowners have a right to eliminate whatever grows over their
property line, unless restricted by laws governing wetlands, etc.

Well there's a difference. Here anyone would be in deep doodoo if they
poisoned the roots of a neighbour's tree and killed the tree if those roots
were the only part of the tree that was on their land.

This
is a perfect case of wussiness, the OP had a spine, after requesting
cooperation from the neighbor and being greeted with hardnosed
refusal, he'd be out there trimming the offending growth and tossing
it whence it came, the neighbor's side.

There's another difference. The trees could be trimmed right to the fence
line but not an inch further but the trimmings could not be tossed back on
the neighbour's side without agreement form the neighbour. Where there are
tree preservation orders the pruning may not even be allowed to be done, or
if it is, it may need to be done by an arborist to ensure it's done
properly.

Every municipality in the US
has laws governing property line encroachment and set backs... the
information for each particular community is very likely on line
(county by county and state by state) and certainly available at the
town clerk's office. Everywhere I've ever lived one could not legally
plant anything or erect any structure (including fences) within so
many feet of the property lines.

There's another difference. Plants aren't structures and so there is no
restriction on where they can be planted on one's own property and if a tree
grows so that it's trucnk is on the boundary line, it becomes a joint
responsibility regardless of who planted it.

However people ignore property line
laws (same as all laws) all the time but that in no way alters
neighbor's rights. Many times neighbors agree to erect a fence or
grow a hedge right on the property line and that works so long as one
or the other doesn't sell. In this present case I'm positive that the
answer to the over growth question is readily available for free by a
simple phone call to the town clerk/town attorney. A homeowner would
be embarassed to ask such a question in public, makes me doubt the OP
is the property owner, more a question posed by a tenant.

Why would a Homeowner be embarrassed? Homeowners do all sorts of things
including painting their house weird colours, having appalling taste in
architecture, in landscaping and plantings and furnishings. Just because
you wouldn't ask a particular question in public doesn't mean that someone
else wouldn't.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Property Line Looks Like A Jungle (farml)

I think it's me he may be calling names.......LOL I better own my
property and not just be a tenant because I been paying property taxes
for the past 15 years. As far as drinking goes, well yea I do get a
tad bit drunk every once in awhile As for Mr. Brooklyn, well it's
getting pretty cold out now so I would advise he stay indoors. The
squirrels are out gathering NUTS for the winter and I'd sure hate to see
him disappear from this fine group. It's always good to keep a chap
around like him for entertainment purposes if nothing else! hehehehe!!!

Rich

Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/4/2011 8:59 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Well Billy, as far as income goes, I 'm also on a fixed income as I'm
retired and living on social security. He is much better off than
myself money wise. His home is a big duplex with a rental unit, he has
all kinds of investments, social security, big pension from where he
worked plus paid medical insurance from that employer also. I have SS
and that's it. He's in much better health also. I have asthma, heart
problems and can only walk for a few minutes before sitting down awhile.
This is why I took up gardening. It's something I can do here at home
at my own pace. I can no longer hunt or fish which I loved to do.
Think I'll just cut his jungle off that over hangs my side and throw the
debris over on his side for him to deal with. ............... Rich

Not exactly the same situation but I have a neighbor your age that's in
about the same physical situation but still works. His back grows
completely wild. I'm older and retired but in better shape and have no
problem with this as I have bushes and trees on my side and just trim as
necessary. We get along fine. A few years ago he had a tree fall into
my back yard in the winter and I called and told them since they
probably could not see it from the house. They got a son to remove it
and I discovered later that they probably did not have to do this as it
was an act of God on my property. Point is you don't want to fight with
neighbor. Maybe he'll loan you truck to cart of debris.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Property Line Looks Like A Jungle (Frank)

Your right Frank, I don't want to fight with the neighbor by any means.
I like him and his wife and do them favors all the time which I'm glad I
can do. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they can see how
their bushes overgrow my property and it doesn't mean a thing to them.
If I had one single bush that was overgrowing their side, they would be
over at my house in a hurry and ask me to trim it. Their bushes also
overgrow my nice new concrete driveway and rub the sides of our
vehicles. My car doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet so you can see
where this doesn't make me real happy.

Rich

Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/4/2011 3:08 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

Your right Frank, I don't want to fight with the neighbor by any means.
I like him and his wife and do them favors all the time which I'm glad I
can do. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they can see how
their bushes overgrow my property and it doesn't mean a thing to them.
If I had one single bush that was overgrowing their side, they would be
over at my house in a hurry and ask me to trim it. Their bushes also
overgrow my nice new concrete driveway and rub the sides of our
vehicles. My car doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet so you can see
where this doesn't make me real happy.

Rich

I think it is legal to prune anything on your side even if it ruins the
bush or the tree. I would certainly do this to protect my car. Don't
think neighbor can dispute this. This is also the perfect time of year
for pruning practically everything.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
A jug of RoundUp... problem solved.

I had an old neighbor who did that to his neighbor. A tree sprayer
asked the victom what happened to the shrubs, and notified the state
EPA, who came out and tested the shrubs, then had a talk with the
old man.

Do you honestly think anyone believes your just now made up fairytale,
were it true you'd have offered it way upthread... why do so many on
usenet have to behave like they're still acting out their drunken one
upmanship BS like when they're still sucking down cheap suds at their
favorite watering hole. Btw, the EPA is Federal: http://epa.gov/

Washington state has it's own agencies that enforce Washington state laws. And
as the story, which is true, relates, they do so. Sorry I did not post it
according to your schedule. I was merely trying to relate that you cannot just
kill your neighbor's plants. (At least in some places)

Homeowners have a right to eliminate whatever grows over their
property line,

They have a right to prune back growth over the property line, not the right to
kill the plants with herbcides.

Goodbye, moron.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
Well Billy, as far as income goes, I 'm also on a fixed income as
I'm retired and living on social security. He is much better off than
myself money wise. His home is a big duplex with a rental unit, he
has all kinds of investments, social security, big pension from
where he worked plus paid medical insurance from that employer also.
I have SS and that's it. He's in much better health also. I have
asthma, heart problems and can only walk for a few minutes before
sitting down awhile. This is why I took up gardening. It's something
I can do here at home at my own pace. I can no longer hunt or fish
which I loved to do. Think I'll just cut his jungle off that over
hangs my side and throw the debris over on his side for him to deal
with. ............... Rich

That last item may get you into trouble. Anything growing or falling into your
property is yours, not his, to deal with. He could get you cited for throwing it
into his property.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Well Billy, as far as income goes, I 'm also on a fixed income as I'm
retired and living on social security. He is much better off than
myself money wise. His home is a big duplex with a rental unit, he has
all kinds of investments, social security, big pension from where he
worked plus paid medical insurance from that employer also.

I'm no shister, but it seems as if you are being deprived of the use of
part of your property. Shade from his trees may also be reducing your
property value. If he has breached clearly marked property lines, he
needs to retreat to his own property. His behavior may be judged as
elder abuse as well, since you seem to be in a vulnerable situation.
What will you do when you can no longer trim his plants, yourself, incur
the expense to hire a gardener? You need to have a talk with your
neighbor, right after you talk to legal aid (first half hour should be
free). The idea is to be friendly, while regretting to your neighbor,
that he will have to pick up your court and lawyer costs, if an
equitable solution can't be arrived at. Don't enter into an argument,
keep it strictly on a financial basis.

I have SS
and that's it. He's in much better health also. I have asthma, heart
problems and can only walk for a few minutes before sitting down awhile.

Are you sure that you have asthma? An enlarged heart can mimic asthma,
and treating it as asthma can kill you. Just another little chagrin in
the end game( Heart failure can be treated, almost to the point of
being cured (as long as you keep taking your pills).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw