Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond PVC? :-)

I was going to use ABS for my bottom drain, but each coupling is another
chance for a leak and I need about 3 joins. Plus the couplings will make the
pipe that much bigger, something I don't need for my tunneling project. But
I was on the Home Depot site and I saw this flexible PVC. It's funny looking
stuff, kinda looks like non kink hose with the ridges filled in. It looks
different than the standard sprinkler PVC I've seen. I checked a couple of
pond sites and one carries the funny looking stuff and the other looks more
like the standard PVC I'm used too. But it's a little hard to tell from the
blurry pictures.

So does the funny stuff exist or is it my imagination? How does it compare
to the standard flexible PVC?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I was going to use ABS for my bottom drain, but each coupling is another
chance for a leak and I need about 3 joins. Plus the couplings will make
the pipe that much bigger, something I don't need for my tunneling project.
But I was on the Home Depot site and I saw this flexible PVC. It's funny
looking stuff, kinda looks like non kink hose with the ridges filled in. It
looks different than the standard sprinkler PVC I've seen. I checked a
couple of pond sites and one carries the funny looking stuff and the other
looks more like the standard PVC I'm used too. But it's a little hard to
tell from the blurry pictures.

So does the funny stuff exist or is it my imagination? How does it compare
to the standard flexible PVC?

The "funny stuff" is reinforced. It's generally less susceptible to kinking
and crushing than the standard flexible pvc.
When it comes to construction of the bottom drain, the bigger the inside
diameter and more solid the attachment and support structure (especially at
the drain) the better in the long run. That's the last part of the build you
want to deal with doing over. grin

joe

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Joe is right about the size and firmness of the drain. How big had
you planned finally to make it? If it is your main bottom drain, you
will want it pretty big. If you put plenty of cement on the joint,
you should have no problem with the pipe joints (easier for me to say
than for you to do). Our drain system is 2" rigid pvc. No problems
for a decade.

Jim

Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:43:12 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I was going to use ABS for my bottom drain, but each coupling is another
chance for a leak and I need about 3 joins. Plus the couplings will make the
pipe that much bigger, something I don't need for my tunneling project. But
I was on the Home Depot site and I saw this flexible PVC. It's funny looking
stuff, kinda looks like non kink hose with the ridges filled in. It looks
different than the standard sprinkler PVC I've seen. I checked a couple of
pond sites and one carries the funny looking stuff and the other looks more
like the standard PVC I'm used too. But it's a little hard to tell from the
blurry pictures.

So does the funny stuff exist or is it my imagination? How does it compare
to the standard flexible PVC?

I used 4" schedule 40 PVC with long sweeps for turns and a Tetra drain
on my bottom drain. I doubt I'll dig it up again. If it should plug
I can easily shove a water hose through it, or plumbers tape.

Regards,

Hal

Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal

4" is better! Will it ever drain a pond in a HURRY!

Jim

Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Joe is right about the size and firmness of the drain. How big had
you planned finally to make it? If it is your main bottom drain, you
will want it pretty big. If you put plenty of cement on the joint,
you should have no problem with the pipe joints (easier for me to say
than for you to do). Our drain system is 2" rigid pvc. No problems
for a decade.

Jim

Bottom drain will be 3" Tetra, not set in cement I don't think. But I
haven't quite got that far yet.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:26:58 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

Bottom drain will be 3" Tetra, not set in cement I don't think. But I
haven't quite got that far yet.

I set mine in Georgia clay and didn't think it would ever move, but it
did move a bit, but not disastrous. If I did it again I would take
the time and use cement. Even if I had to build a mock up to get it
right.

Regards,

Hal

Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:26:24 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Hal

4" is better! Will it ever drain a pond in a HURRY!

Jim

Not likely the bottom drain is hooked to a three barrel filter on the
same waterline as the pond, with the pump in the third barrel and the
pump is 1800 gph. It can only pump the barrels half empty except the
last one, so the pump would only remove half the water in the pond.

Regards,

Hal

Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Bottom drain will be 3" Tetra, not set in cement I don't think. But I
haven't quite got that far yet.

I set mine in Georgia clay and didn't think it would ever move, but it
did move a bit, but not disastrous. If I did it again I would take
the time and use cement. Even if I had to build a mock up to get it
right.

Regards,

Hal

Did you leave any slack in the liner around the drain?

I'll have to work out the kinks once I actually lay my hands on one. I don't
plan to dig up the existing pond until I'm closer to getting the piping
done. I bored the concrete on the weekend, but did not start the
'tunneling'. Pesky rennovations saved me from the 'good stuff'. :-)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:44:14 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

Did you leave any slack in the liner around the drain?

No, in fact because there was about a 1 in 4 foot drop/taper to the
center, it was sort of a stress point, since it was bolted, glued into
the liner at that point and pulled, gently, from the sides. I
couldn't work all the wrinkles out because of the tapered bottom and
wouldn't allow more than a couple inches difference if I were doing it
again. I can't see the liner needing any slack. I used Permalon as a
liner, but rubber will give a bit and .040 should work fine as well.

I'll have to work out the kinks once I actually lay my hands on one. I don't
plan to dig up the existing pond until I'm closer to getting the piping
done. I bored the concrete on the weekend, but did not start the
'tunneling'. Pesky rennovations saved me from the 'good stuff'. :-)

The reason I said I would take my time planning the concrete, the
instructions with my bottom drain were a bit vague to me, so I
calculated for myself how much space I wanted between the dome
perimeter and the liner when it was set. The tapered bottom that I
wanted made it more difficult to make measurements under the dome, but
I was pleased when I finished. A year or so later I noticed fry in
the filter barrels and found they could pass freely under the dome and
when I checked the dome clearance between it's perimeter and the liner
it had moved enough to allow the opening to increase to what looks
like more than 1/2 inch maybe 5/8. That wasn't a serious problem,
just wasn't what I expected. With concrete and a mockup of the drain
I could have formed exactly what I wanted it to be and it would be
exactly as I formed it years later. The instructions warned me to use
cement, but I had plenty of confidence in Georgia clay.

Regards,

Hal

Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Bottom Drains cemented in.

Here we deal with sand, sand mix with bigger sand (also called rocks.
And stuff out at the D.pond they call clay (ick).

Anyway, before I ever did a bottom drain, luckily another ponder had done
it in his soil which is the 2nd above. He didn't cement it. A year later he
decided to go deeper and found that the drain had settled several inches
and stretched the liner to almost nothing. Talk about lucky it didn't give
way.

So the demo.pond in the 3rd type of soil (clay) above we cemented in. My
lily pond, in the 1st type, sand, cemented in. Not worth the worry, and it
is such a little bit of cement it could easily be dug out. Though I'm the
type to build new not remodel. ;-)

All 3 of the above were 3" tetra drains. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-07-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
Bottom Drains cemented in.

Here we deal with sand, sand mix with bigger sand (also called rocks.
And stuff out at the D.pond they call clay (ick).

Anyway, before I ever did a bottom drain, luckily another ponder had done
it in his soil which is the 2nd above. He didn't cement it. A year later
he
decided to go deeper and found that the drain had settled several inches
and stretched the liner to almost nothing. Talk about lucky it didn't give
way.

You guys are never happy, you're always finding ways to give me new
pondmares. I get the tunneling started (almost) and you start talking about
Bottom Drains sinking to the tenth level of HELL! Sheesh!
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:49:53 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

You guys are never happy, you're always finding ways to give me new
pondmares. I get the tunneling started (almost) and you start talking about
Bottom Drains sinking to the tenth level of HELL! Sheesh!
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Chaos! Panic! Disaster! (My work here is done) ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-07-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default POND EQUIPMENT HORRORS

My father taught me one simple Murphy's rule. "Make a hole and water
will find a way in." My corollary is "make a hole and water will find
a way out." I have a pond principle ...KISS.

A properly constructed veggie filter will:
remove silt by passive settling.
remove nutrients by plants.
look good, enhance the pond.
be constructed so that if for some reason any part including the
return is blocked, the water will overflow back into the pond.
it requires a single pump with no doodads attached.
need almost no maintenance!!!!

Mostly men, but sometimes women, get excited by and wrapped up in
RUNNING the pond with EQUIPMENT.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Noted on a pond tour ~
women were all clustered around looking
at fish and plants.
Men all clustered around the filter setup.
The more elaborate the better ;-)

k :-)

Rate This Thread: