Old 13-09-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pondmaster Pump part #2

Well he jackbutted around town and there is no black hose anywhere to fit
the 1 1/2" outlet for the pump. The pump has a barb end the hose goes over
and clamps. He couldn't find any reducers that went from 1 1/2" to 1". So
he came home with nothing but clamps. Since he has to go into Nashville on
business today he's going to check out some of the stores there.

We'll have to get white or clear hose that quickly clogs with algae. Maybe
I can spray paint it black with that new spray paint for plastics since that
part will be above water.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-09-2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

Well he jackbutted around town and there is no black hose anywhere to fit
the 1 1/2" outlet for the pump. The pump has a barb end the hose goes
over and clamps. He couldn't find any reducers that went from 1 1/2" to
1". So he came home with nothing but clamps. Since he has to go into
Nashville on business today he's going to check out some of the stores
there.

We'll have to get white or clear hose that quickly clogs with algae.
Maybe I can spray paint it black with that new spray paint for plastics
since that part will be above water.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

While he is in Nashville, he should take the pump with him and go to a
plumbing supply house. Someone there should be able to fix him up with an
acceptable hose.

George

Old 13-09-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote in message
.. .

While he is in Nashville, he should take the pump with him and go to a
plumbing supply house. Someone there should be able to fix him up with an
acceptable hose.

=========================
That's where we're heading this morning. We don't need a hose, what we need
are some kind of adapters/reducers between the pump's 1 1/2" outlet and the
1" hose we already have without putting back pressure on the new pump.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-09-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:24:54 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

We'll have to get white or clear hose that quickly clogs with algae. Maybe
I can spray paint it black with that new spray paint for plastics since that
part will be above water.

I use a few inches of clear tube 1 1/2" to hook up a UV clarifier,
simply so I won't have to walk up close and look for the blue light to
see if it is working. Algae covers the inside, but never had a
problem with it plugging and still see the blue light very easily at
night.

For general plumbing, my pump came with a threaded nipple on one end
and barbed tube fitting on the other. I removed the barbed tube
fitting and used pipe fittings and pipe to route the water.

I'm sorry about your negative experience with the pump hook up and
I'll try to remember to check for the pump fittings next time I buy a
pump.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 13-09-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
.. .

While he is in Nashville, he should take the pump with him and go to a
plumbing supply house. Someone there should be able to fix him up with
an acceptable hose.

=========================
That's where we're heading this morning. We don't need a hose, what we
need are some kind of adapters/reducers between the pump's 1 1/2" outlet
and the 1" hose we already have without putting back pressure on the new
pump.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

I'm sure a plumbing supply will have what you need, but keep in mind that
anytime you reduce the diameter on the output side of your pump, you are
going to induce back pressure. How much depends on how much you reduce the
output diameter. Going from 1 1/2 inches to 1 inch reduces the output
diameter by about 33 percent, increases the velocity of the water flow on
the output side within the 1 inch section of hose while decreasing the
volume of waterflow, which increases friction and pressure on the output
hose, and thereby increases the back pressure on the pump. I'm not sure
how much the back pressure will increase, but you could contact pondmaster
and ask them how much back pressure to expect and if it will decrease the
operating life of your pump, and, more importantly, if doing so will void
the warranty. My guess is that it will decrease the operating life of the
pump, but I'm not sure by how much.

George

Old 14-09-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote in message
. ..

I'm sure a plumbing supply will have what you need, but keep in mind that
anytime you reduce the diameter on the output side of your pump, you are
going to induce back pressure.

Not the way we finally did it. A 1 1/2" hose leaves the pump and goes into
a T of the same size. On each end of the T are 1" reducers.... so that's two
1" reducers = 1 1/2" into 2" together. This should not put back pressure
on the pump. See my post above.

How much depends on how much you reduce the
output diameter. Going from 1 1/2 inches to 1 inch reduces the output
diameter by about 33 percent,

That's not what we did! The 1 1/2" outlet goes into a 1 1/2" T. After it
leaves the T it has two 1" hoses so the water is split two ways ... not
reduced to a one, one inch hose.

increases the velocity of the water flow on
the output side within the 1 inch section of hose while decreasing the
volume of waterflow, which increases friction and pressure on the output
hose, and thereby increases the back pressure on the pump. I'm not sure
how much the back pressure will increase, but you could contact pondmaster
and ask them how much back pressure to expect and if it will decrease the
operating life of your pump, and, more importantly, if doing so will void
the warranty. My guess is that it will decrease the operating life of the
pump, but I'm not sure by how much.

Sorry, I thought I explained the water would be split two ways - not reduced
from 1 1/2' to one, one 1" hose. There are TWO reducers.... not one.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-09-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

news
wrote:

[...]

=======================================
I should have paid closer attention. It's my own fault. But today (see
posts above) we got it figured out as to where there shouldn't be any back
pressure on the pump. After the hose leaves the pump, using a 1 1/2" hose,
it goes to a 1 1/2" T and both arms of the T have reducers to 1". One 1"
reducer feeds the filters and the other reducer feeds 1" bleeder as it
spritzes water over the surface. So there should be less friction instead
of more as there would be with one reducer. I knew better than to try and
reduce it at the pump outlet to fit one 1' hose. It looks horrible with the
T, then the 1" hoses off the T, then two reducers, then the hose to the pump
and the one to the bleed with the flow control......... but most is hidden
underwater.

We bought black flexible kinkless hose once we had the two reducers and T
that fit. :-)

Had I chose a pump with a 1" outlet would would have saved close to $50.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-09-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

We'll have to get white or clear hose that quickly clogs with algae.
Maybe I can spray paint it black with that new spray paint for plastics
since that part will be above water.

Krylon Fusion does wear off over time, and takes a full week to cure. if yer
gonna do it, do it before the temps drop at night, because it also needs
certain temps for curing.

I took a kiddie pool, and painting it black with krylon fusion 3 years ago,
and with the exception of some on the pain coming off, it's held up quite
well.

It's also been fish freindly as well.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 14-09-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I didn't think of that. You're right, that'll work.

George

Old 14-09-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:23:13 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Not the way we finally did it. A 1 1/2" hose leaves the pump and goes into
a T of the same size. On each end of the T are 1" reducers.... so that's two
1" reducers = 1 1/2" into 2" together. This should not put back pressure
on the pump. See my post above.

First let me say I think that is good. Pumps are made to move water
and some pressure is expected. However be aware, you are adding some
pressure by reducing from a single 1 1/2" pipe to 2 one inch pipes.
The square inch area of the inside of a 1 1/2" pipe = 1.767. The
square inch area of a 1" diameter pipe = .785 x 2 =1.567 with a
difference of .196 square inches in area and that difference allows
the 1 1/2" pipe to pass slightly more volume at the same pressure. I
calculate the difference at about 11%, but the practical applications
aren't always as perfect as the theory. Best of luck with your new
pump.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 14-09-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

We'll have to get white or clear hose that quickly clogs with algae.
Maybe I can spray paint it black with that new spray paint for plastics
since that part will be above water.

Krylon Fusion does wear off over time, and takes a full week to cure. if yer
gonna do it, do it before the temps drop at night, because it also needs
certain temps for curing.

I took a kiddie pool, and painting it black with krylon fusion 3 years ago,
and with the exception of some on the pain coming off, it's held up quite
well.

It's also been fish freindly as well.

For you car enthusiasts, Krylon Fusion also makes an excellent whitewall
paint for tires.

Old 14-09-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
Sorry, I thought I explained the water would be split two ways - not

reduced from 1 1/2' to one, one 1" hose. There are TWO reducers.... not
one.
--

I didn't think of that. You're right, that'll work.

========================
It's running like a champ! :-)))

I'm so glad we ran into an employee who knew his stuff and was willing to
spend the time helping us.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-09-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

==================================
Thanks Hal. That is interesting. :-)

There really was no other way to deal with the problem of a 1" system and a
pump with an outflow of 1 1/2". It was either this way with the T, or
return the pump for one with a 1" outlet.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-09-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Krylon Fusion does wear off over time, and takes a full week to cure. if
yer gonna do it, do it before the temps drop at night, because it also
needs certain temps for curing.

I took a kiddie pool, and painting it black with krylon fusion 3 years
ago, and with the exception of some on the pain coming off, it's held up
quite well.

It's also been fish freindly as well.

=================================
We ended up with the black kink proof hose where it shows and only used the
white hose underwater where the pump outlet goes to the T. Hopefully the
algae will soon turn it black or green since the water is crystal clear.

Ya know, I never thought to paint the kiddy pools with Fuse. I use those
black drop clothes which can be a real PIA. I'm going to use black fuse on
them next spring. Thanks for a great idea.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-09-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

Ya know, I never thought to paint the kiddy pools with Fuse. I use those
black drop clothes which can be a real PIA. I'm going to use black fuse on
them next spring. Thanks for a great idea.

Now is the perfect time to pick them up on clearance.. we bought 7 of the
round 5 footers for 89 CENTS each! I used two, painted the top one with
fusion, and its been a small additional pool in conjunction with the real
pond.

Since they can freeze solid over winter, it's a good idea to drain it when
the cold weather hits...plus ya don't want any frogcicles trying to over
winter in it... LOL!

We just stored the extras under our shed, so the sun doesn't weather them.
Good idea to wrap them un a tarp, spo they are clean and easy to paint when
ya want to yank them out and use them.

With the doubled pools, and the Fusion paint, we ended up with a $6 pond!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Rate This Thread: