Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 AM

and here is the perfect example of what I was saying "The main reason I dont respond
to any of the flaming is that when I correct the mis-information it does absolutely
no good."

http://www.apswater.com/page127.html
"Although its potential for water treatment has been recognized since ancient times,
anthracite coal was not used for that purpose until the beginning of this century.
Crushed anthracite makes an excellent medium density filtration media. Anthracite has
been manufactured from the finest Pennsylvania coal since 1932. It is specifically
selected for water treatment, and during its production goes through several sizing
inspections. Random samples are chosen for a complete laboratory quality control
analysis for effective size, uniformity coefficient, specific gravity, acid
solubility, and hardness.
Because of its fractured shape, some sediment penetrates deeper into the bed. When
compared to equivalent filter sands., this means longer filter runs and less head
loss. Backwash rates are also reduced.
Anthracite, because of its unique density can be used in multi-media filters. At 56
lbs./ft. 3 it will hydraulically classify and remain above heavier medial such as
Filter Sand or Manganese Greensand providing a prefiltration layer.
Advantages:
Higher service flows and longer filter runs than equivalent sand filters.
Close attention to gradation, hardness and purity assures consistent and
reliable performance.
Unique density allows Anthracite to be combined with other filtration media in
multi-media filters.
Conditions For Operation:
Bed Depth - 24 - 36 in.
Backwash Rate - #1 (12-19 gpm/ft.2), #1 -1/2 (18-25 gpm/ft.2), #2 (use air
scour)
Backwash Bed Expansion - 30-50% of bed depth
Service Flow Rate - 5 gpm/sq. ft. or higher depending upon local conditions."

we discussed the difference as far back as 1997: found using google
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...97c39e587ff31a
" Hard coal or anthracite is a dense, shiny coal that has a high
carbon content and little volatile matter and burns with a clean flame.
This density is what is working for Jo Ann. Being dense it has a higher
molecular attraction, which is what attracts the materials from the
water. It is the same attraction that activated charcoal uses through
its increased surface area, but the attraction is less than that in the
anthracite because of the molecular distance because of the popcorn
effect in the activated carbon. It is looser bond together than that of
the anthracite. The fact that the anthracite is so dense increases the
molecular attraction and because it is not porous the offending material
can be "washed" off with a high pressure water. I have never used any of
Jo Ann's anthracite, but I can only conjecture that you would use pretty
small pieces to get as much surface area with the anthracite because of
its density since it is not porous.

The high pressure water cleaning is why many water plants around
the country use anthracite vice activated charcoal for it cuts down on
cost and does a similar job. Now in industrial and scientific situation
anthracite can not do the job of activated carbon or charcoal, but for
our requirements it is fine.

Hope this helps every one to maybe understand this process a little
better.

God Bless and Keep You and Yours,

Have a Great 1997, Regards from Pawnee America
Tom La Bron"

Ingrid

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:
$$ You cannot correct the fact that you and Joann were pushing some magic
charcoal that you both claimed was recharged with plain "hose water" for
example.
$$ Uh,.. let's get honest Ingrid. Neither of you claimed it was "no where
near as efficient in removing chemicals as activated carbon, but it is
reusable."
$$ Making untrue claims to push sales, and attacking anyone who questioned
the product.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Doug Brown

So anthracite can be used for mechanical filtration but nowhere in this
propaganda does it claim that anthracite performs any chemical filtration.
Basically anthracite is fancy filter sand! Therefore it is not equivalent
to or interchangeable with GAC. GAC is not intended to perform any
mechanical or biological filtration, although over time it will begin to do
both. GAC is intended to perform chemical filtration only.

So, anthracite is not GAC.

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:
$$ You cannot correct the fact that you and Joann were pushing some magic
charcoal that you both claimed was recharged with plain "hose water" for
example.
$$ Uh,.. let's get honest Ingrid. Neither of you claimed it was "no

where
near as efficient in removing chemicals as activated carbon, but it is
reusable."
$$ Making untrue claims to push sales, and attacking anyone who

questioned
the product.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Activated Carbon vs. Anthracite Coal

Hope this helps every one to maybe understand this process a little
better.

Helped me. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 09-01-2005, 04:44 AM
~ Windsong ~

wrote in message
and here is the perfect example of what I was saying "The main reason I

dont respond
to any of the flaming

## What "flaming?" Exposing someone, and discussing what happened in the
past is not "Flaming." And you are SPAMMING us with repetitious posts
regarding Joann an the business she sold.

is that when I correct the mis-information it does absolutely
no good."

## The only misinformation came from Joann and yourself regarding the two
products that have been mentioned here. When several people including
myself questioned *anything* you or Joann claimed you got rude and finally
left the list to start your own. When someone questions YOU on anything,
you call it "flaming" as an excuse to ban them. You can get away with it on
your private list but not HERE. This is a public NG.

SNIP the information you presented. We were led to believe this product
acted like activated charcoal found in pet shops and online. This
information was not presented to us. It was to take the place of the
charcoals some of is were using. It wasn't even close.......
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If At First You Don't Succeed,

Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Doug Brown" wrote in message
So anthracite can be used for mechanical filtration but nowhere in this
propaganda does it claim that anthracite performs any chemical filtration.

## BINGO!!!!

Basically anthracite is fancy filter sand! Therefore it is not equivalent
to or interchangeable with GAC.

## We were led to believe it was!

GAC is not intended to perform any
mechanical or biological filtration, although over time it will begin to

do
both. GAC is intended to perform chemical filtration only.

## I hope no one fell for this and purchased it at the time thinking it was
equal to or better than the Activated Charcoal they were using at the time.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If At First You Don't Succeed,
Blame Someone Else And Seek Counseling!"
--------- }((((o
Completely FREE softwa
http://www.pricelessware.org
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-01-2005, 04:55 AM
~ Windsong ~

wrote in message
Mostly because Jo Ann just doesnt have the time. She is on Puregold and

tries to
help people there, but there are now so many other people on the list know

what they
are doing that mostly our help isnt usually needed.

## A bit of a contradiction no? If her help isn't "usually needed" there
on your private list, then she has the time to come HERE and help people.

Trying to help people with their sick fish by emailing back and forth is

very very
difficult. People leave out so much that is important and by the time

they get back
with those answers it is easy to forget what the problem was. When Jo Ann

talks
directly to people she can ask/get answers immediately that gives her a

"picture" of
what the problem most is. After 30 years in dealing with sick goldfish

from all over
the US and even the world she has a pretty good idea of what could be

wrong and the
best treatment.

## And let me guess who she recommends to purchase those "TREATMENTS" from?
1. The people who purchased her business.
2. The people who purchased her business.
3. The people who purchased her business.

Maybe it is annoying, but at the same time there are new people coming on

all the
time looking for help with sick fish, so if they can get the phone number

of somebody
can help them right away and for free .....

## This is male bovine excreta Ingrid. You know how to make a sigfile for
under you name. Put your advertising information down there instead of
spamming us with Joann and the business she sold. The newbies will see it.
--
http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html

Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 AM

yeah ... it can/is used to remove organic compounds. Ingrid
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/zag/hydr...tionOMCoal.PDF
http://www.pollutionengineering.com/...111316,00.html

"Doug Brown" wrote:
So anthracite can be used for mechanical filtration but nowhere snip

does it claim that anthracite performs any chemical filtration.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 09-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Puregold Goldfish List

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:16:19 GMT, wrote:

===Jo Ann asked me to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
===the business to Ken Fischer
http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
===helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
===diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject.
[...]

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 09-01-2005, 03:47 PM

activated carbon - 2 weeks - tossed
anthracite -reusable- years.
1 lb Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon $8.49 on sale (w/o ship)
1 lb of milled anthracite was @ $8 w/ shipping

Ingrid

## I hope no one fell for this and purchased it at the time thinking it was
equal to or better than the Activated Charcoal they were using at the time.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Grubber

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I've kf'd Ingrid and several of your addresses already, but this thread
keeps coming back. Could you please stop changing your info so I can stop
being bothered by your bickering?