Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Little Badger

Default cats

Larry
I'm a very keen gardener and have been gardening since I was 11 years old! I
also own a cat that I love very much!

I am also a volunteer for my local PDSA charity shop!

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

My cat is with me always ( he's at my feet now)!
Why do people like you hate cats so much? Can't you put up with another
animal (as free as a cat) entering your domain or is all you and yourself
what you think about all the time?

Kev

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Larry
Stoter writes
K wrote:

But would you be prepared to make a donation to the rescue centre for

the
cats' upkeep or the valuable work the centre is doing for stray,

abandoned
and maltreated cats? These places are usually run by charities.

Yes - and I'd pay for it to be neutered.

Although, I have checked the legal situation and it seems likely that
trapping a cat and taking it to a rescue centre would leave me open to
action by the 'owner', assuming they actually noticed it was missing.

That's a strange comment. Why do you imagine a cat's owner *wouldn't*
notice it was missing?

They certainly don't notice that it is wandering around the
neighbourhood, digging up gardens, killing birds and small mammals,
defaecating where it wants and polluting the area with toxoplasma
gondii.

My experience, having several relatives who 'own' cats is that they
don't start getting really worried until their little darlings have been
'missing' for 3-4 days.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Jack

My neighbours' cats do their business all over my garden where my two
children are trying to grow their flowers and vegetables. My children are
horrified when they put their fingers into cat poop. It's not a pleasant
experience, it's a health risk, and they don't want to eat anything that the
cats have pooped on. I've just filled 2 plastic grocery bags full to the
top with cat poop, and my garden is not large.

"Little Badger" wrote...

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Mike

In article , Little
Badger writes

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work?

THAT is why people hate cats. Those who claim to 'own' them don't give a
toss where they crap as long as it is not 'in their back yard'

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 22-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Little Badger

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work?

No! See post to George's ramblings! I would notice my cat was missing when I
got home from work as he's usually in my house or in my greenhouse!

Badger

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Little
Badger writes

------

Old 22-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Little Badger

My cat sleeps on the bottom of my bed all night and is locked in!

My cat has a sand pit in my garden where he goes to the toilet!

My cat is tagged and neutered (got him from a rescue centre)!

He has a red leather collar with a bell on!

When I am at work he spends most of the time either in my warm greenhouse or
in my house which he enters through one of my numerous cat flaps and these
places is where I usually find him when I come home from work, shopping,
washing the car etc!

So am I a responsible cat owner George?
Maybe you should gather more facts before spouting off?

Badger

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:53:55 +0000, Mike
wrote:

In article , Little
Badger writes

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work?

Sadly that would be an accurate picture of the majority of
irresponsible cat owners, and then again left out all night.

THAT is why people hate cats. Those who claim to 'own' them don't give a
toss where they crap as long as it is not 'in their back yard'

This would be an accurate description once again of the irresponsible
owner, who are by far the majority.

If I were made Herr Chancellor, or should I say when!

I would ensure all cats had to be tagged (all pets) and the tagging
kept up to date. Must have collars with a bell and also to be
neutered, we will always have enough strays to provide kittens for all
should anyone wish to adopt a cat. People like smelly five cats would
need to be licensed and pay a large premium for having more then one
mass murdered in the household.

Cats caught poooping on someone elses land should be liable (owners)
for fines and cleaning fees.

This will force responsible ownership, and many people who do not
think about the consequences of their pets would now find they really
must, and probably many would say "Oh I wont have a pet then"

Bit like the old days of letting your dog crap and wee anywhere it
wanted, usually in the kiddies park. These are now long gone, there
was a hoohah about forcing people to poop scoop after their dogs, but
now in my experience the majority do it without fuss, which is how it
should be.

Have a pet, fine, but also take full responsibility for it.

.

*********
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will

still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill

The Eagle Has Landed.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- ` Roy!/ASC
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

Old 22-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Larry Stoter

Little Badger wrote:

Larry
I'm a very keen gardener and have been gardening since I was 11 years old! I
also own a cat that I love very much!

I am also a volunteer for my local PDSA charity shop!

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

My cat is with me always ( he's at my feet now)!
Why do people like you hate cats so much? Can't you put up with another
animal (as free as a cat) entering your domain or is all you and yourself
what you think about all the time?

I don't hate cats - quite like them, in fact.

I do dislike cat 'owners' who can't be bothered to control their animals
and who believe their pet has a right to wander around the
neighbourhood. My objections to cats in my garden a

1. It is my garden and I haven't given permission for a cat to enter.
Why should I, as I don't want it? Unfortunately, because of a
peculiarity of UK law, I don't have any legal means of removing a cat
owned by a neighbour. If a dog, rat or person uses my garden as a
toilet, I have various options open to me to resolve the problem.

2. I delight in having many free animals coming into my garden and
actively encourage them. These are true, wild animals - insects,
amphibians, birds, small mammals, etc. Many local cats attempt to kill
them - cats which are not truly wild but are provided with food and
shelter. In doing so, their owners are giving these efficient predators
a huge competitive advantage against truly free and wild animals.

3. Cats defaecate and urinate in my vegatables, which I find unpleasant
and a potential health risk.

4. Cats dig up seeds and seedlings.

5. Cats are a reservoir of toxoplasma gondii - this parasitic worm is
known to cause miscarriages in humans. There is also evidence that it
can lead to more subtle neurological problems in humans. Certainly, it
changes the behaviour of small mammals in such a way as to make them
much easier for cats to catch. If it does this to mice, it would not be
surprising that it also affected human behaviour. I believe there is a
government committee currently examining this issue.

What I would like to see is:

a) A legal requirement on cat owners to control their animals, as is the
case with other domestic animals and pets, such as dogs. This to include
fines for those who don't and the ability for neighbours to take civil
action against cat owners.

b) For me to be able to trap any cat (not just strays) which enters my
property and hand it over to an appropriate organisation. The animal
should, of course, be legally protected against ill treatment.

c) A legal requirement for all dogs and cats to be neutered unless they
are owned specifically for breeding purposes. In which case, owners to
be licensed to keep intact animals, subject to inspection and fined if
their animals are allowed to stray from their property.

And thank you to those cat owners who do take proper responsability for
their pets.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 22-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Charlie

I've been following this thread for a while and I have a question. How do
you expect owners to "control" cats? This is by no means meant to be an
argument, but simply a question.

My cat is 14 years old but still climbs my trees and catches birds. (which
I have no objection, we have loads nesting round our house and garden and it
only serves to keep this population down). He goes into other gardens, but
we've had no complains, most of them feed him anyway! He attacks any cats
that attempts to come into our garden (they learn pretty quickly) and he
doesn't cause hassle to anyone. Am I a responsible owner?

Sorry, just wondered how to control my cat more efficiently!

Charlie.

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
. co.uk...

---

Old 22-03-2003, 02:56 PM
mandy thomas

Little Badger wrote:

[...]

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

I don't have a cat, and I don't like them leaving a mess in my garden but I
just accept them as one of those fairly minor inconveniences that I can't do
anything about.

As long as it's legal to own cats, and to allow them outside, then there's
not a whole lot you can do about it. Best not to get too het up about things
you can't change.

Old 22-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Little Badger

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 11:23:26 -0000, "Little Badger"
wrote:

My cat sleeps on the bottom of my bed all night and is locked in!

My cat has a sand pit in my garden where he goes to the toilet!

My cat is tagged and neutered (got him from a rescue centre)!

He has a red leather collar with a bell on!

Going good so far.

When I am at work he spends most of the time either in my warm greenhouse

or
in my house which he enters through one of my numerous cat flaps and

these
places is where I usually find him when I come home from work, shopping,
washing the car etc!

So he can come and go at will, destroy wildlife at will and shit on
peoples gardens at will. Are you really so naive as to believe your
cat does none of the abive when you are not there? (abive? Is that a

spelling mistake?)

Um! Already said he has a sand pit to go to the toilet in! He goes first
thing in the morning and I have not seen him do it again unless he is sick!
If he is sick he goes in his sand pit again! Are you reading my post or are
you purposely skipping certain parts of it?

So am I a responsible cat owner George?

Far better then most.

Maybe you should gather more facts before spouting off?

Maybe you should try reading what you respond to first. Tell me which
part, tell us all which part of my post is incorrect. (OK!)

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work? (Too busy either sleeping or

keeping cats out of his own garden actually!)

Sadly that would be an accurate picture of the majority of
irresponsible cat owners, and then again left out all night. (See above

which makes you incorrect again!)

THAT is why people hate cats. Those who claim to 'own' them don't give

toss where they crap as long as it is not 'in their back yard' (If I

did not give a toss where he goes to the toilet I wouldn't have made him a
sand pit!)

All of the above is incorrect! Happy now that I have pointed it out to you?
Going to do some gardening now! You want to get out more George!

Badger

Is that a spelling mistake?

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:53:55 +0000, Mike
wrote:

In article , Little
Badger writes

Old 22-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Little Badger

Larry
How would you propose to 'Trap' a cat in your garden without hurting it or
distressing it in any way?

Badger

Old 22-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Little Badger

George
I seem to have you rattled!
Two posts when one was directed to Larry!
My!
You really want to get out more you little ****!

My cat is fast a sleep on my bed and has been so since 14.00!

I have a cat that never scratches my antique leather suite, or my wool
berber carpet or anything else for that matter! He might be, as you claim,
the best behaved cat in the World!
Should I contact The Guinness Book of Records George?

Or should you get out more instead of mouthing off on this NG?

The only thing I worry about, when I'm not home, is some ****, just like
you, shooting my cat with an air rifle; because then I would have to go to
jail, for life, after I had killed some ****, just like you George, with my
bare hands!

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Um! are you really so stupid as to believe that crap? You have the
best behaved cat in the world who never ventures out of the garden,
locks itself in the greenhouse and sunbathes until it's naive owner
comes home to wipe it's arse?

No my cat can't lock himself in the greenhouse, he doesn't have hands! You
prat!

Does it put the milk bottles out too!

I tend to buy six pint milk containers from Sainsburys! Prat!

You sure it's a cat and not a tortoise you have?

The last time I checked he was a cat! Even my vet said so! You dick head!

[...]

You have merely pointed out what a naive fool you are, or you think us
extremely naive.

No! I think you are an irritaing **** with so much time on your hands that
you don't know what to do with it all! Why do you insist on claiming that
your views are everyone elses views to? Why do you say things like 'us' and
'we' when it is all your pathetic views?

Going to do some gardening now! You want to get out more George!

I should think so, try it a little more often you may actually see
your cat doing what all cats do.

Um! He's currently sleeping on my bed but he'll soon be up to be fed. Then
he will play with his toys in my living room, like he does every night! And
then he will sleep next to me on my leather sofa, like he does every night!
And then he'll come up and sleep on the bottom of my bed as usual!

As you can see he does damn sight more than you do in a day George and he's
a lot less irritating than you!

You've been flaming people on this NG for some time, well it's pay back time
you little ****!

.

*********

Old 22-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Little Badger

Who the hell was asking you dick head? Your name Larry as well?

Speak when spoken to! And shut up when not spoken to!

Badger

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:57:10 -0000, "Little Badger"
wrote:

Larry
How would you propose to 'Trap' a cat in your garden without hurting it

or
distressing it in any way?

Badger

You don't "trap" it, you control it, same as you would a dog. Train it
to crap outside and then bring it back inside, cats are quite smart
you know. Then you spread the word to all the other ******* who don't
look after their cats.
.

*********

Old 22-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"mandy thomas" wrote in
message ...

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

A possible solution if anyone wants to market this -

You can get small alarms to attach to your wallet/briefcase so that if it
gets too far away from you ( you drop it, forget it or it is stolen ), it
sounds an alarm. If the alarm was tuned to the frequency of those cat
scaring gadgets, you could put one end in your house and the other part on
the cat's collar. Whenever it strayed too far from the house it would get a
burst of sonar. It'd learn pretty quickly not to stray.

I don't have a cat, and I don't like them leaving a mess in my garden but

just accept them as one of those fairly minor inconveniences that I can't

do
anything about.

I more or less agree and usually just scoop the mess up with a trowel and
fling it to the back of the border, out of the way where it can decompose.
It's more of a problem when they keep doing it on the veg though.

Martin

Old 22-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Little Badger

Martin
Not being abusive here just trying to point out that cats are very
territorial and never stray too far away from 'base camp' anyway! My cat
often has a starring match with a cat down the road, but as it always comes
to nothing as he will never venture that far away!

Badger

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"mandy thomas" wrote in
message ...

Old 22-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Little Badger

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:57:33 -0000, "Little Badger"
wrote:

George
I seem to have you rattled!

Lets get one thing straight. I never ever get rattled, everything I do
is cool, calculated and for deliberate effect. Many have claimed to
have got the better of me, many have tried to rattle me, it just hasnt
happened.

So don't flatter yourself old chum.

You're rattled bid time!

Two posts when one was directed to Larry!
My!

I don't care who a post is for, on a public forum I can stick my beak
in when and wherever I so wish.

You do often! Nosey irritating person that you are!

You really want to get out more you little ****!

Oh dear now who's rattled? what next, you'll come and give me a
kicking? maggot shit.

My cat is fast a sleep on my bed and has been so since 14.00!

Good, so at least he isn't killing wildlife or shitting in someone
elses garden. Whats wrong with that?

He has a sand pit! How many more times you ignorant idiot?

I have a cat that never scratches my antique leather suite, or my wool
berber carpet or anything else for that matter! He might be, as you

claim,
the best behaved cat in the World!

Hooray for that. I never doubted it was possible. The question posed
was that most cat owners couldnt give a crap.

Should I contact The Guinness Book of Records George?

Contact the Queen mum for all I care, do they do seances in your area?

Or should you get out more instead of mouthing off on this NG?

This is easy, I have plenty of time for a real life and to tackle
****s on newsgroups.

But you are the **** on this NG!

The only thing I worry about, when I'm not home, is some ****, just like
you, shooting my cat with an air rifle;

Well that just goes to show how you are such a prat getting your
knickers in a twist over completely the wrong reasons.

If I caught anyone harming any animal with a gun or otherwise, I would
kick their arse from here to kingdom come, claim they fell and then
drag them up the old bill shop.

You're so caring and sensitive! I think not!

because then I would have to go to
jail, for life, after I had killed some ****, just like you George, with

my
bare hands!

Oh yawn, yawn, yawn...anythime you feel brave enough just come right
on by poppett.

I just love digging for worms.

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM
Cats (No, not the usual thread) Simon Avery United Kingdom 1 18-01-2003 06:58 PM