Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

In message , JennyC
writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote
"designmea" wrote
... and
maybe actually try to learn dreamweaver or similar. Ive got plenty of
time to learn, I am only 20 after all.

I use Dreamweaver, it's expensive but very easy - no need for codes (here
the IT purists will find objections but why make things more difficult
than they can be?)
Mary

Totally agree with you there Mary :~)) Give me a WYSIWYG program anytime
And you can tweak the HTML afterwards if you so desire.........
Jenny

I've been using HoTMetaL Pro for years, but I'm beginning to have
trouble with it's weak compatibility with PHP (it barfs on any "" used
in a PHP script, which means that you can't use PHP classes, and have to
be careful with how you emit HTML from PHP code). There are a number of
freeware HTML editors out there - I'm using NAMO web editor as a backup
for HoTMetaL Pro, when not using notepad or vim.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:40:43 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
roups.com...

I wonder if the laser technology for unwanted hair removal could be
adapted...

It doesn't work.

Laser hair removal?

Yes. Believe me, I spent a lot of money on it.

Oh, good. I'll keep going with the old razor
then ;-)

I still use tweezers, don't like 5 o-clock shadow :-)

I find tweezering the pins a wee bit tedious, and the armpits
downright torture.
The last two posts are probably way too much information for most
urgers.

Cat(h)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

Looks interesting to me :~)
Would be even better with pictures of the items........ I'm curious about
the 'ear scoops' !!!!!!!!
Jenny

Having no pictures is deliberate:

a) it would slow down the site and there are still some Neanderthals (some
would describe them) who aren't on broadband.

b) since all our items are handmade the pictures we have aren't exactly like
what we have in stock at any one time.

c) I'm happy to send any pictures to anyone.

d) most people who look at the site know what the items look like :-)

Mary

Old 07-10-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

I find tweezering the pins a wee bit tedious, and the armpits
downright torture.

Never shaved armpits even when I had a bush but since my breast cancer
surgery - probably combined with menopause - there's nothing under there.

The last two posts are probably way too much information for most
urgers.

Not the grown up ones :-)

Mary

Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/10/07 10:47, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

I find tweezering the pins a wee bit tedious, and the armpits
downright torture.

Never shaved armpits even when I had a bush but since my breast cancer
surgery - probably combined with menopause - there's nothing under there.

The last two posts are probably way too much information for most
urgers.

Not the grown up ones :-)

Mary

!! I didn't realise being interested in other women's hairy bits was a sign
of maturity!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cat(h)" wrote
I'd love it if she could design me a hoe that weeds in a permanent
fashion. Her fortune would be made.
Cat(h)

Ah ha - now that's an idea. An electric hoe like those electric grass
mowers....one that has a camera and a whole database of which plants are
weeds and which ones are plant seedlings just emerging :~)
Jenny

I'd like a rotavator that works on stone filled compacted clay. Existing
models just dance a jig on the surface.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 5, 5:35 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Oct 4, 8:38 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 4, 3:56 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , R.A.Omond says...

Hey, and one of us (i.e. one of me :-) is still a current
VMS consultant !

VMS - when downtime is not an option.

If you need any job control language writing I'm your man! It's been a
good few years but I'm sure the VMS grey cells are still there under the
dust :-)
Getting way off topic now, but I once wrote a very large JCL program to
monitor and regulate the system, run various jobs, backups, reports etc.
I even gave it it's own username space to run in "Marvin". It would
monitor and log off idle users and send messages to appropriate people
saying printers had run out of paper etc. It got quite chatty with one
user one day and they phoned up the I.T. dept asking to speak to Marvin
:-)

... the Paranoid Android?

You're showing your age.

:-) I'm not denying the age, but I've discovered the Hitchhiker only
about a year ago, when the new fillum (as they say here in Ireland)
came to the big screen. It wasn't part of my youth's pop culture, as
it took place away from the British Isles.
I've read the books since, and enjoyed them - though less than Terry
Pratchet's - but that's even further off topic than we've ventured so
far.

So I could be, really, really, really young... at heart... really...
honest.

Cat(h)

I got my kids into them about 6 years ago; my daughter read all 5
books in the trilogy over and over until they fell apart.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 4, 3:32 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren says...

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Sounds like a VAX. Instead of soap, put roundup in it.
|
| or VMS.

Now, that is getting a bit too geekish :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

DEC VAX VMS. Sweet memories of a "proper" operating system.

I swear more than half the contributors to this group are either current
or ex IT.

Hey, and one of us (i.e. one of me :-) is still a current
VMS consultant !

VMS - when downtime is not an option.

hiya Roy:
hahahaha; did not take you long to notice;
I was about to e-mail you to say that VMS just got mentioned in URG.
ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big things
and made noises and had flashing lights.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Des
Higgins says...
ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big things
and made noises and had flashing lights.

And carrying a backup disk to the fire safe made your arms ache!
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
Old 08-10-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 8, 5:49 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article .com, Des
Higgins says... ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big things
and made noises and had flashing lights.

And carrying a backup disk to the fire safe made your arms ache!
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
rubbish and cross-posts)

in 1988, I bought a 600mb disk for a vax and it was huge and cost
between 12-15kIrish pounds which, at that stage was about
10-13ksterling.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| In article .com, Des
| Higgins says...
| ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big things
| and made noises and had flashing lights.
|
| And carrying a backup disk to the fire safe made your arms ache!

Ah, you youngsters! Mountable disks are a recent development, and
traditional backups were on tape.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 8, 6:28 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| In article .com, Des
| Higgins says...
| ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big things
| and made noises and had flashing lights.
|
| And carrying a backup disk to the fire safe made your arms ache!

Ah, you youngsters! Mountable disks are a recent development, and
traditional backups were on tape.

Tape?? Tape?? Luxury; in my day we had to take the hot valves from
the glass blowing department and design our own circuits and invent
computers and keep the operating system in our heads (backwards
because that was how you loaded it). We had to wait 40 years before
tape was invented. We had wax tablets and small boys as back up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Des
Higgins says...
Tape?? Tape?? Luxury; in my day we had to take the hot valves from
the glass blowing department and design our own circuits and invent
computers and keep the operating system in our heads (backwards
because that was how you loaded it). We had to wait 40 years before
tape was invented. We had wax tablets and small boys as back up.

:-)

I've still got backups of some Fortran software I wrote on punched paper
rolls. There is probably no equipment left on the planet to load the
software now (unless it is in a museum).

More recently I've got stacks of backups on 5.25" disks but no hardware
to read them any more. My archive on 3.5" disks are also heading the
same way with only one computer left in my possession capable of reading
them.

Makes you wonder just how recoverable various important National
archives are? We take it for granted that various paper based records
can go back several hundred years, but what of digitally stored records?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article . com, Des
Higgins says...
Tape?? Tape?? Luxury; in my day we had to take the hot valves from
the glass blowing department and design our own circuits and invent
computers and keep the operating system in our heads (backwards
because that was how you loaded it). We had to wait 40 years before
tape was invented. We had wax tablets and small boys as back up.

:-)

I've still got backups of some Fortran software I wrote on punched paper
rolls. There is probably no equipment left on the planet to load the
software now (unless it is in a museum).

I never did get a Fortran prgram to run, but I did once enter a very brief
program into a 16 bit GEC computer using the instruction keys on the front
panel.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote

I never did get a Fortran prgram to run, but I did once enter a very brief
program into a 16 bit GEC computer using the instruction keys on the front
panel.

I know someone who used to hard wire programs with soldering
Jenny